It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Businessmen Are Charged in Sale of Military Parts to Iran

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Two Businessmen Are Charged in Sale of Military Parts to Iran

www.nytimes.com

WASHINGTON — Two American businessmen were charged Monday with selling military parts to Iran to help prop up its aging air fleet, the latest in a string of cases that American prosecutors say violate longstanding bans on exports to Tehran.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
ap.google.com
www.nytimes.com

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Robert Abreu, a lawyer for Mr. Keshari, 48, said in an interview that based on his initial reading of the case: “It does not deal apparently with any weapons or munitions. As far as I know, it was simply dual-use aircraft parts, and I think this is being trumped up to an arms violation where it’s not.”

What a joke!

You would think they would bother reading the faq before engaging in such activity. Guilty!

How much are the fines for violating these regulations?

The fines for violations can be substantial. Depending on the program, criminal penalties can include fines ranging from $50,000 to $10,000,000 and imprisonment ranging from 10 to 30 years for willful violations. Depending on the program, civil penalties range from $250,000 or twice the amount of each underlying transaction to $1,075,000 for each violation. [11-16-07]
www.treas.gov

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Scramjet76

As sad as this sounds, I am starting to feel like the propaganda machine is working. I really don't care anymore. I have been pretty a ardent supporter of Iran's self determination, but now I just don't care anymore. The constant bombardment of stuff like this just makes me think "Screw it, let's just the let big bombs fly, the survivors can pick up the pieces"

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
What ever happened to capitalism?

Whatever, looks like the governments getting edgy about it's own people being able to do as they please and make a buck or two.

Aircraft parts... they're being charged for selling aircraft parts.

In what form of a capitalist society does THAT happen?

The US is no longer free, not for the people, and not for the businesses. Get out.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
What ever happened to capitalism?

Whatever, looks like the governments getting edgy about it's own people being able to do as they please and make a buck or two.

Aircraft parts... they're being charged for selling aircraft parts.

In what form of a capitalist society does THAT happen?

The US is no longer free, not for the people, and not for the businesses. Get out.

My guess is a capitalist society that doesn't want to see its own weapons turned back on themselves....

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Desert Dawg
My guess is a capitalist society that doesn't want to see its own weapons turned back on themselves....

Not weapons, aircraft parts, thats what this is all about. The sale of aircraft parts.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I guess the business men didn't wanted to be in Cheney clubs of arms dealings the are to be made an example of what will happen to you when you go around the big crocked guys in the white house.

Our entire administration is up to their necks on illicit dealings with undesirable countries, this two businessman were too stupid and that is why the got caught.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
if the U.S doesn't wanna see it's weapons turned back on it's self, maybe it should stop selling that stuff to other countries.. ie: saudis... obl... saddam...iran

you guys hold the receipts. it's your own fault

oh.. and these guys are going to be made an example of.. which I don't think is fair or right.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by pynner]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

I have been pretty a ardent supporter of Iran's self determination

Wait, you support Iran? You do realize the Supreme Leader of Iran has held the position for 19 years? Ali Khamenei is

the highest ranking political and religious authority of the nation.
wiki

Despite all the corruption in US politics you can't honestly believe Iran is better?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pynner

oh.. and these guys are going to be made an example of.. which I don't think is fair or right.

What is not fair or right? The law is pretty clear. If you have the ability to manufacture mechanical parts to repair F-14's, then I'm sure you can make a decent living without breaking the law..

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76

I have been pretty a ardent supporter of Iran's self determination

Wait, you support Iran? You do realize the Supreme Leader of Iran has held the position for 19 years? Ali Khamenei is

the highest ranking political and religious authority of the nation.

Despite all the corruption in US politics you can't honestly believe Iran is better?

I never said they were better or that I supported the supreme leader. I simply said I support their quest for self determination. Every country should be free to do what is in their best interests. I believe that if they are after nuclear power, then they have every right to pursue that. If they take it a step further then deal with them at that point, but until then they have every right do research as they see fit.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Every country should be free to do what is in their best interests.

Absolutely. Likewise, we are free to do what's best in our interests. I think history has shown us religion doesn't mix well with government. It's not in the world's interest to perpetuate that kind of stuff.

It's time for the world to unite and for our potential to grow. Small nations with radical leaders who suppress their populations with religious mumbo jumbo are just bad news. Ultimately all these nuts want is power, and they pursue nukes because they yearn for others to take them more seriously.

These folks who sell military parts to Iran should be punished.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Scramjet76
It's time for the world to unite and for our potential to grow.

What do you mean by this..? How do we unite.?

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by qmanq

Well we can start with not breaking obvious laws by selling military parts to fundamentalist regimes..

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
"Aircraft parts" is a bit vague. You could argue an AMRAAM is an "aircraft part" but it is also a weapon (it's a type of missile for those who don't know).

An ALQ-184 could be described as an "aircraft part", but it's used for jamming RADAR.

There has to be more to this. As for "dual use"... hmm... a gas turbine for an aircraft is hardly "dual use" in a way that could be detrimental.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

top topics

join