It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama leads 15 points over McCain - Newsweek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Obama leads 15 points over McCain - Newsweek

www.newsweek.com

For weeks many political experts and pollsters have been wondering why the race between Democrat Barack Obama and Republican John McCain had stayed so tight, even after the Illinois senator wrested the nomination from Hillary Clinton. With numbers consistently showing rock-bottom approval ratings for President Bush and a large majority of Americans unhappy with the country's direction, the opposing-party candidate should, in the normal course, have attracted more disaffected voters. Now it looks as if Obama is doing just that. A new NEWSWEEK Poll shows that he has a substantial double-digit lead, 51 percent to 36 percent, over McCain among registered voters nationwide.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Hahaha. 15 points. Apparently McCain is beginning to sink into the zionist-neocon swamp of lawlessness, torture and genocide. This is the least he deserves.

www.newsweek.com

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Hurray! Obama is the better man by far. It's too early in the race to count on surveys, though. They could change, for instance, if one of them made a misstep or got involved in a serious dispute. Still, a lot of people have underestimated Obama and now see the light. This is a good sign.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by ergoli

This is the least he deserves.

Sheesh go easy, the guy was POW and fought for our country!

But yes I agree Obama is the better candidate. We need to repair our image in the world, and I think Obama is better suited for that task.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by ergoli

Hahaha. 15 points. Apparently McCain is beginning to sink into the zionist-neocon swamp of lawlessness, torture and genocide. This is the least he deserves.

www.newsweek.com

at least he physically fought oppression, Im guessing all you have done is bashed a few keyboard buttons....

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Newsweek is so biased it would be funny if the situation was not so serious. I would not trust newsweek.
The poll from newsweek is the only poll which shows such a huge gap so it is obviously flawed. Listed below is a link which shows all the current polls including newsweek and as you can see, the race is very close. In fact, most polls show a statistical dead heat.

Link to polls

The last thing we need is Obama as President. We don't need more government, taxes and regulation.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder
at least he physically fought oppression, Im guessing all you have done is bashed a few keyboard buttons....

Now that is funny right there

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
For those of you whose history began when you were born, or when George W. Bush started his first term.....

All I got to say is "Michael Dukakis." In 1988 at about this time Dukakis has a solid 15-20 percentage point lead over George H.W. Bush, and we all know how that turned out. If you don't....he lost!

upload.wikimedia.org...

[edit on 24-6-2008 by RRconservative]

[edit on 24-6-2008 by RRconservative]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ergoli

That's great. I hope he can hold onto it and make it larger. But Sestias is right. It's not something we can depend on. It all depends on what happens between now and November.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I think Obama's lead will continue to increase as time goes on. Hopefully more disgruntled Hillary supporters will see the light in the coming months. Obama will need a substantial lead in order to win, because if it is too close, the voting can be manipulated too easily. They can't cover up a 15 point lead or more, but if it within a few points like in the last two elections, well we know how turned out.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by blueorder

www.newsweek.com

He's already got a couple of thousand dead innocent iraqi children on his bill through his pro-war vote. I'd say that balances it more than out

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   

He's already got a couple of thousand dead innocent iraqi children on his bill through his pro-war vote. I'd say that balances it more than out

Got it, it's McCain's fault the terrorists are a bunch of losers and cowards by hiding in civilian homes, towns and cities and dressing in civilian clothes.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
The poll appears to be an outlier, with Democrats badly oversampled and representing well over 50% of those polled. Most others have his lead in the 3-6% range.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
yes to many things said:

it is too early to rely on polls

# can happen and make or break any candidate

mccain can drop out of the race and be replaced by someone else

etc...

what i THINK is that mccain stands no chance. he may rise a bit but he is destined to fall. he has told to many lies (or had too many senior moments where he contradicted himself), he has switched on too many issues, he continues to push for war, he continues to push for the continued erosion of constitutional freedoms, etc...

he is an overly flawed candidate and it will wear on him, he is fighting an uphill battle.

to the conservatives on the site: really think about this and anwser honestly: 'do you like mccain? is he the 'president' you feel would best represent you and your ideals'?

please do not compare him to obama, that is not the point. the point is what you actually, completely truthfully think of mccain.

my guess is your not that stoked. i come from a long line of conservatives, very staunch conservatives and they are pissed.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal

to the conservatives on the site: really think about this and anwser honestly: 'do you like mccain? is he the 'president' you feel would best represent you and your ideals'?

please do not compare him to obama, that is not the point. the point is what you actually, completely truthfully think of mccain.

my guess is your not that stoked. i come from a long line of conservatives, very staunch conservatives and they are pissed.

I'll go ahead and fall for your one-way trap.

Do I like McCain? Absolutely not! I can't stand the guy, and he is not the best to represent my ideals.

Don't compare him to Obama? What kind of one-way trap is that? How do you think George W. Bush won the last two elections? People compared him to ALGORE, and they also compared him to John Kerry. Given that comparison, the choice was simple.

Now McCain is nowhere near Bush when it comes to leadership, but if given the choice of someone I agree with 40% of the time, or someone I agree with 0% of the time. You gotta to go with the higher percentage, and that would be McCain. That and no matter what happens, McCain is a 1-term President, so all we have to do is hold our breath for 4 years and hope a real conservative comes along in the meantime. Still much better that going with someone like Obama, who policies would destroy the United States.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

i was only ask you do not compare him for the sake of the question.

i am not here to praise obama or to set a 'trap'. i only intend to point out that mccain is weak. those who he is counting on voting for him are not happy with him as a candidate, thus his poor ratings and eventual loss.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Here are the poll internals:

www.newsweek.com...

The interesting thing is that Obama only has the support of 80% of registered Dems. That's not a poor number, mind you, but its a very typical number for a politician who has been branded as anything but typical (Heck, McCain is at 78% among Reps). So the question in my mind seems obvious. Why should I believe that he is getting an extraordinary level of support resulting in huge representation gains for the Dems when he can't pull down anything but ordinary numbers in his own party and when McCain is doing just as well in HIS party?

Even Obama's numbers with Independents are rather lackluster, suggesting at best that he's leading McCain about 57-43 among that group. Again, that's rather typical of the winning candidate in a presidential election.

The point? Just a little evidence that Newsweek appears to be cooking the books a bit.

BTW, am I the only one that noticed that Obama's 15 point margin of victory is the SAME as the 15 point margin between registered Dems and Reps sampled in this poll???

But yeah, its valid.

new topics

top topics

join