It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS selling out: Membership quantity over quality

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by LateApexer313
reply to post by lightseeker

BAH! Yes I am

BAH!?, BAH!?? Well that tears it; I see your BAH! and raise you 2 Piffle!!s and a Balderdash!! HA HA!! That will teach you. And, incidentally, my cheeks are not sunken. Why! the very idea!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

Best post yet....Very funny

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Discuss the topic and not each other.

The topic is...ATS selling out: Membership quantity over quality

Thank You.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny
ATS is slowly moving away from the round-table it used to be, and becoming a soapbox for the disillusioned, the delusion, the pissed, the weird, the troll.....whatever.

Perhaps that is more the case now because fewer of the 'older' members provide examples of the opposite.

There has indeed been a cultural shift in the membership here. I'm not sure why that is the case, but it does seem to have happened.

I miss the days when I felt I would be held accountable by the membership for failing to cite appropriately the facts I advanced or for failing to employ sound logic in my positions.

The administration and moderating staff have a hard job to do, but I think the membership holds as much responsibility for the direction things take on this site.

Maybe some of us should take more responsibility for that.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by loam]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
While I have debated the OP on several different occasions and topics, I can feel his pain here...

Let's suppose for a moment that it is true, that serious, in depth posting is disappearing.

As this is a "MEMBER" driven forum, who would obviously be at fault?

Members

If certain members considered "long time contributers" are leaving due to the influx of "noobs", how is their desertion the fault of ATS?

This is what I mean in a nutshell...

Just because some newer members come here and post racist or bigoted opinions does not mean I should stop or limit my posting of serious thought provoking material. (If I do in fact post serious or thought provoking material; Jury is still out..:lol

Just because some member, new or old, choose to personally attack other members, does not mean that I should leave.

Just because we have had an influx of new members, or resurgence of impolite members, does not mean I should give up on the best site on the net.

And if I do give up? How is that ATS's fault?

If the OP's assertions are correct, and I believe he feels they are, it is in MY best interests to not just continue to post, but to ensure I post good quality posts even more frequently.

It is up to us people, THE MEMBERS!!!

The quality of ATS rests solely on our shoulders and not the MODS or the ADMIN.

Me?

I love ATS and will continue to work at being a productive, contributing member, striving to set the example instead of giving up and leaving.

WHAT SAY YOU ALL????

Semper

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 12:41 AM
link   
please.

This place is a community. a growing community.
We are diverse.

Raso..I've always respected your opinion, your take on things.
Instead of complaining about the quality, do something about it.
Take a new member under your wing. Help them out.
It takes some people a while to find their "voice".

We used to have an "adopt a member" situation. Where a veteran could take on a new member and nudge them along. Maybe we need to bring back that idea, or something similar.

It was a little overwhelming when I first joined 4 years ago, it's got to be magnitudes above that now. I think some of the ridiculous posting that goes on now, is just the result of people trying to be heard above the crowd. That approach flies on other discussion boards.

But not here.

It's quality we're all looking for. You said it yourself.
So to you, and other long term members. I suggest that rather than complaining about what new members are bringing to the table, that perhaps a helping hand is what they need. They can read all the manuals, instructions, T and C's they want. But nothing beats a good friend with a head full of knowledge. And some of you are REALLY full of it.

Be a mentor dude, you'd be a good one.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
We used to have an "adopt a member" situation. Where a veteran could take on a new member and nudge them along. Maybe we need to bring back that idea, or something similar.

I actually wondered why that never got off the ground? I have often thought that a formal 'docent' role would be a nice touch to this site.

I think expecting 'mentoring' to grow organically is not very realistic. I think it requires 'official' structure, imo.

Just my $0.02.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by loam]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anti-Tyrant
ObamaMomma, why don't you just butt out?
Your condescending attitude towards others is not appreciated.

But you have to love how her grammar changes when she's not trying to pretend to be an angry stereotypical Obama fan.

Very noticeable.

I have to admit that the OP and the Mods all have valid points. I came here to find more answers to something I couldn't explain. The way things are around here though, and the way people react to one another I'd be hesitant to post anything out of the ordinary for fear of a full on assault.

There are many who try and press racial buttons and stereotypes then cry "PC!" when called on it and yes those sort of threads have increased. I think there are many with an agenda here and it's to incite. Some is political and racial.

I still like searching through here though for those that have had similar experiences even if I dare not post my own.

- Lee

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:07 AM
link   
I couldn't agree more. ATS has gone down hill since I joined, and I'm not exactly an oldschool member.

I'm sick of trying to make good threads or posts to have them buried under a torrent of "LUL BLACKS SUCK" or whatever else. Not to mention the sensationalist threads like "THE TRUTH HERE" or "YOU ARE ALL GETTING CANCER NOW!!".

More worryingly I'm finding that I have to try and duplicate these sort of posting styles to get any attention myself, while struggling to maintain quality at the same time.

Worst of all I think is the a**holes on the boards now. The forum is too big, too busy and too fast-moving for anyone to stomp on them when they lash out.

I remember having one argument with some idiot over global warming. Despite my attempts at making a logical argument, at trying to be polite, he would endlessly ignore my posts and reply with nonsensical jibberish about science being fake. It's like he'd ask for evidence, get it, then say that it wasn't good enough evidence. No evidence was ever good enough.

In the end he finally just threw in some JPG saying "YOU FAIL" with a kid at a computer doing some stupid face and I just left the thread. The guy was a real scumbag and yet I never saw any mods touch him.

Funnily enough at the end he admitted that he pretty much had NO idea about the science of global warming anyway. He was under the assumption that carbon dioxide was somehow hot itself and should've floated off the planet as hot things rise...? UURRGGH. *FACEPALM*

Anyway, I don't know. I feel the forum is past it's prime for quality and it's into its prime for membership. I'd like to move on to be honest but so far there aren't many other decent forums on conspiracy theories. There's small groups but they're just as nuts as the people on here.

Well that's my bit. As a last comment, what's with all the ads? They're getting really annoying. Everyone on here acts like they're going against the grain (See: 900000000 threads about "WAKING UP" - man I hate them) but this is one of the most commerical looking webpages I go to now. Do people really think ATS is seperate from the rest of the world and so it isn't controlled? It's so commercial now... Not that I'm advocating any conspiracies but it's worth considering.

[edit on 25/6/08 by Duality]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duality

Well that's my bit. As a last comment, what's with all the ads? They're getting really annoying.

Huh? There are actually less ads on here than there used to be. You see all the top threads/popular threads posted on the right side of each thread's page? That space used to be dedicated to ads. If anything, ATS has cut down on adspace in favor of more mainstream ads, which probobly make them more money, in turn reducing the total number.

Unless your not a member. They still get a buttload of ads, I guess it's an incentive to join up.

[edit on 6/25/08 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:31 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
ATS really has no control over this issue. People will come because this is a place where they can view their viewpoints without censorship. Once you start censoring a certain group and not the other, the site will die.

ATS does have control over some of the issues listed by the OP.

Certainly, members won't be banned for disagreeing with the OP, but posters who join en masse to create havoc will be dealt with as they have on numerous occasions in the past.

Something is afoot currently on the board, but I have it on good authority that the situation is well in hand, even if the action is not proceeding as rapidly as some would prefer.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:37 AM
link   
IMHO

ATS is not selling out at all. Believe it or not, ATS has a business model and all good business models much show growth to be successful.

If ATS started asking for criteria (beyond being above 18) to join, what exactly would that be and how could it be enforced? Not so easy is it!

Perhaps a member referral system? Nope that wouldn't work either in this environment as it would be tantamount to recruiting and I'm sure that no good would result from it. I can see the factions and lines drawn in the sand as I write these words.

So what ATS must do is grow and encourage participation. Of course this means we see more exceptional minds join the forum and unfortunately some not so exceptional.

But hey, don't we face the very same thing each time we open our front door and walk out into the street? That's life! We must all accept it and move on because the world isn't going to change anytime soon!

Another thing to consider is this. If ATS were to close the gates or create a criteria that must be met before memberships are approved, can you imagine the outcries of agenda driven conspiratorial manipulations leveled at the 3 Amigos & Staff?

YES - that's exactly what would happen. So this leaves ATS between a rock and a hard place. Damned if they do, and damned if they don't.

Please put yourself in their positions and try to be a bit more understanding. It's a small price to pay in return for such a wonderful service.

No this isn't a suck-up, I'm merely pointing out what is obvious.

ATS is for everyone!

IRM

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I sure it's been said...

But just to make sure it's seen again...

SCHOOL IS OUT...

Thank you... that will be all for the ATS lessons today.

Regular posting will resume with the fall schedule.

This concludes this ATS announcement from your friendly neighborhood spider... err I mean coven...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I agree with your theory in part, but it happens to everything. Businesses, websites etc. and cannot be stopped due to the fact that they are not doing anything against the rules by not being a "good" member.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Definition of a Moron:

Someone who says he doesnt like rain but keeps going out to stand in it

In other words: The weekly critisism of this website by people who keep logging into it anyway.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

Quality matters very much. Here's the top most-viewed-by-guests threads of the past 30 days (not in order)...
Barksdale Missile Number Six: The Stolen Nuclear Weapon
FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military
The End of The United States: The Bush Administration Plan
The Metaphysics of Music
USA Military Officers Challenge Official Account of September 11
Alien Spaceships Around Stargate/Time Portal? Take Out Your Telescopes Now!
We Weren't Designed To Eat Meat, Here Is Proof
Global Economic Crash Late July!

I find it interesting that out of those eight examples that SO posted,
two are from what i consider "new" members within a year, and a third by a banned member?
So does this kill the argument that "the good 'ol days" had better threads?

what did you'all talk about back then that was so different from todays threads?

[edit on 25-6-2008 by ObamaMomma]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:53 AM
link   
"Deny ignorance" ...what a noble concept to present in this environment.

Some of the threads at ATS have astonished me and others have made me roll my eye because they where a waste of a mouse click. I patiently wait Why....

Its summer and school is out and growing minds are restless
There is an election process happening and people wave there signs
Posts on ATS show up first on pages of Google searches
and others are trying to forward their agendas

I'm sure these things will pass

"I seek quality, enlightenment and integrity in the information that seek.
Is ATS selling out ..no It's experiencing the frenzy of the moment

That which you resist persists

MY advice to the OP is take a deep breath and force it out.. smile shake your head forge on

You have a opportunity to mold a mind in chaos To bring direction and purpose to one who wanders blindly. To make a new friend that will challenge you in a debate and change your perceptions.

Be a teacher But not a preacher

"The problem with knowing everything..... is you never learn anything new
and your pissing off the people that know everything "

But because I realize this and continue to learn.....I grow

....and you just sit there all pissed off knowing everything

So teach me...to grow ... or to be a know it all and be pissed off by human nature.

[edit on 25-6-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Text Bluesurly the more people who join regardless of there contribution the better that ATS will be, it will become even more of a formidable force on the web than it already is? now thats a good thing don't you agree.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join