It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS selling out: Membership quantity over quality

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
My opinion is that you should get over it. New blood equates to better checks and balances...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

ATS hasn't 'sold its soul' to any one. It provides us with a FREE place to post our thoughts / views / pictures / beliefs in an evnvironment where we feel safe to do so.

Alot of what i have shared i would never ever share face to face with my family for instance bar my wife.

To attack people just because they are new and you don't like them or their ideas.. well... and if their threads are so offensive let the Mods deal with it. Thats what they are there for.

ATS hasn't sold out at all, its just growing / moving in its own sweet direction.

If you don't like some one, thats what the ignore buttons for im my opinion.

# edit # Some of the more 'established' people here on ATS can be arrogant to the extreme at times too - but thats life.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

I agree. Just like anything else in life you have the good and and bad. Just ignore them in the future thats all.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Well kinda true.....Some of us stick around a bit longer

I just wish the threads went back to real conspiracy stuff. I have to wade through tons and tons of crap on this site to find a decent thread and it is usually worth it. I don't honestly give a damn about Jews Christians Muslims or whatever. If you want to pray to a waffle I am Ok with that. Just don't expect me to change my way of life to make you feel better. America is a live and let live place. Esp where I live.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FrankP
Rarely do you find posts where someone actually does their research to back up any statements/theories they make.

Its more of a snowball effect now. Someone says something completely unproven and other people just absorb it as possible "facts" and incorporate them into their own theories.

i strongly agree with this statment.
so many times while i am reading new threads i see someone throw an idea out there that is so far out that it boggles the mind. reasearch is key to understanding what we are wittness to.

im not going to name threads but i wittnessed an example today when i was examining threads. this individual had youtube footage that he had shot and posted, and made outrageous claims about what he had caught in his hand. never the less had a little research been done......well nuff said.
i certianly agree with this and understand exactly where your coming from. if the golden days of ATS were theories backed by plausible evidence then i can well imagine it must have been a better place.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Primarily I would blame the Owners for this, but then again it's their site. The fact is, this site is to make money and they'll obviously do anything they can to make as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

I agree, with both you and the OP.

And this situation is made worse by the God forsaken Anon posters!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Hey im new here and only posted two times. But I'm nothing like those guys. Those kinda "people" are like the powers that be IMHO. You really cant escape them no matter how hard you try or argue with them they pop up everywhere to bring everyone down.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Masisoar

You know, that just makes me sad. You really think that? You really believe the entire purpose of this site is to "just make money". I don't know much, but I'll tell you this - over the past several years factoring dipping into their own pockets and doing the math on return vs time spent, I can practically guarantee they would've made more money by opening a Pizza Hut.

It ain't a money thing, Bubba. And anyone paying any real attention over the past several years would realize that.

There are things done just for the money, and there are things done the right way and with a passion for the mission. Of course, there'll always be those ready to tear down what someone else does. Nature of the beast I guess. Sad.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Ack, another "ATS sucks, has sold out, is a misinfo agent, killed Princess Diana, is causing me anxiety, is causing me to make these lame threads, is now following me in tinted Chevy Blazers, is behind 9/11, is really a front for $10 hookers, is hiding information, is behind the shortage of tomatoes, PLANTED the salmonella in the tomatoes, just to sell their own, MUTATED strain of tomatoes, behind the flooding in the Midwest, smashed the levees, did my sister, is behind the oil prices, is behind the movie theater ticket prices, is behind the mortgage debacle, sold me swamp gas and said it was UFO exhaust..."

"Ats costs this much to run. No this much, no it sucks, no it's great, no it's worth MILLIONS. No it's run out of S.O.'s basement, where he grows tomatoes!" Evil laugh...it's all a conspiracy, to rip you off of, of...your free time, so you can't be out there...um...playing another round of Risk in your mom's basement. If it wasn't for ATS I am sure all the world's problems would have been solved by now. Dang, I want my money back...oh yeah, I forgot, it's free...nevermind.....

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   

"taking the quality posts to 'GLP' or 'Am Kon'?"

What is GLP or Am Kon?

Does anybody know?

Thanks

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by LateApexer313

hahahahahaha b est ever post on ATS..

Thats what i call an anti rant. lol

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

Well being new to ATS, and hopefully I will be allowed to give my thoughts on this..
Usually I read alot before I will post a reply on this site. But this time I only read the first page. and I had to reply to Anti-Tyrant and others who have posted here,
most of you have been members longer than I have been. But from what I have seen and read here on this site, I have gotten the feeling that any one may post thier "opinions, thoughts and differant takes" on any matter that is going on in the world..
This is a cospiracy forum... so there will be totally off the friggin wall "Ideas and opinions" and that is what this site was set up to allow.. It is not up to the moderators osr the owners of this site to edit anyones thread about what they think.
That is the job of US.. the members of ATS. to decide who is a "troll" and who is actually trying to propergate and intullecuall albeit somtimes controversial discussion..
For all of you who are asking the "mods" to kill a thread or to limit the membership of this forum,, Ask yourself this.. Do you really want the "higher ups" IE (TPTB) to be the ones that say " yes you can join, or no you can't join"
Also so you really want the owners of this site or even the Moderators to have the power to controll the subject matter of all the threads on this forum????
Hell, I thought that was what this whole friggin forum was against!!!!!
But being new here, If I am wrong or have overstepped any Forum bounderies, I sincerely appollogize... and Will hang my head and leave, sorrowfull that the last bastion of free thought and speech has been demolished...
Please forgive all the spelling errors as I am tired and pissed off

[edit on 24-6-2008 by SideWynder]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Hey Ras,

I can confirm that, as one individual member who has been around awhile, the over-all quality of posts and threads has declined remarkably. There are still a lot of top-shelf people & threads being started, don't get me wrong; but when you take in the totality of the new threads being started and the ensuing posts to those threads, there is a distinct drop in the number of solid, thought-provoking contributions, compared with, say, even a year or so ago. And you are spot on, IMO, on the level of hatred and bigotry being expressed in many, many posts by so-called "members" who seem to come and go in the wink of an eye.

It has become so distressing to me that I have found myself visiting ATS much less often than I used to and I'm far less likely to become involved in the "dialog" of certain threads, (even ones that I have a profound interest in), simply because that in order to make my thoughts or opinions on the subject understood takes a lot more energy than it's worth. It's reached the point that even fact-filled and research-based rebuttals no longer can turn the tide of ignorance. In short, it just makes me extremely tired.

I have thought about leaving ATS altogether and just resigning myself to the fact that no forum, no matter how interesting or thought-provoking is worth that kind of drain on my psyche; and yet, here I still am.
Just when I think I'm out for good, I just get pulled right back in. So, I decided that I will only give ATS an hour of my time each day and some days I don't visit at all, or visit but don't post.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I have invested four years of my life in this site, (three as a member), and I just don't want to believe that the once, "love of my life",(in a website sense), won't eventually come to her senses.

To quote Forrest Gump, "..and that's all I have to say about that".

[edit on 6/24/2008 by lightseeker]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MemoryShock

Memoryshock, most outstanding post, and also you have numbered and most elloquently stated what I have tried to, in my most undeservably inadequately almost illiterate, recent post,
I am now "having vented" after reading the rest of the several pages in this post..
And I thank all ATS.. Members for thier patience whith a noob. who has posted before he read all the pages...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lightseeker
I have thought about leaving ATS altogether and just resigning myself to the fact that no forum, no matter how interesting or thought-provoking is worth that kind of drain on my psyche; and yet, here I still am.

You gotta stay on and keep things moving in a positive direction. ATS is still the best site on the Internet to get you thinking. Can't let people come in and flood you out of the place.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by lightseeker

That post is a fine example of why I still hang around. That, is a well written chunk of text. Out of the dreck comes a post like that.

The other side of the coin is this post.....

Might it be taken as a little tiny bit uncivil? Maybe.....but it's also a great example of satire and parody....and it's hilarious.

It's almost like being a really crappy golfer and hitting that one shot....a beautiful high fade onto the green. Ya' gotta' keep trying.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Mine was WAY funnier...But his was pretty funny
I guess we'll just have to duel it out with stars...

Mr. Penny, how much must I worship you from afar before you notice me....I will slaughter a thousand goats in your honor if you just laugh at my posts!!

Signed,

A Fan

[edit on 24-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MrPenny

Thanks for the kind words Mr P. It's all in the editing; and I agree 100% on the quality of your linked post. Totally hilarious and yet made the point he was going for. I will aspire to increase the quality of my prose. Dang! if I only had one of them Bizarrotron(tm) contraptions, it would make my life much easier.

reply to posted by Mainer

Thanks for the encouragement. I think I might stick around for a while; just to keep everyone on the up-and-up, you understand.

Finally, LA; you are a really nice person and a great gal, but you're not that funny.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by lightseeker

BAH! Yes I am

I challenge you to a comedy dual any day of the week, I take the white glove of Truth and boff you across each sunken cheek....Bring it.... my somewhat funny comrade

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I personally do not feel ATS is selling out in the manner the original post asserts. Could they be? Maybe. But it is not my perception. However, one thing about ATS that I have been noticing more and more is that it seems to cater to whiners, cry babies, and squeaky wheels while ignoring the mature members who have valid input and questions. I will see people blasting ATS while using aggression and the utmost disrespectful tone but they will receive answers while those who strive to make an effort while at the same time maintaining maturity and respect will be ignored.

It's pretty disheartening, to say the least.

[edit on 6/24/2008 by AshleyD]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join