It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS selling out: Membership quantity over quality

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I would like to be judged by a panel of veteran ATSer's. If deemed unfit, I will renounce my membership, and leave without prejudice. But if deemed a contributing member and at least tolerable, I will continue on, possibly inquiring about things I have yet not, such as :games....

This could lead to a three branch government and possibly a new currency. "The ATS Reserve Note".

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrPenny

ATS is slowly moving away from the round-table it used to be, and becoming a soapbox for the disillusioned, the delusion, the pissed, the weird, the troll.....whatever.

You could have just said that it was becoming a soap-box for the people who deny their own ignorance.

Which would be untrue, i believe.

I believe the entire internet is becoming a soap-box for people who deny their own ignorance, and slowly but surely they're waking up to their own stupidity.

Of course, they'll never say "I was stupid" or "I didn't know better", they'll just keep quiet, make a few points that are remarkably different from the horse-crap they once threw into the mess-hall of the internet, and hope that the people they once were don't catch on to the fact that they don't agree with them anymore.

You might ask why, and the reason is obvious.

They've seen what happens to the people who disagree with them, so fear finds it's home in their minds from the moment of their awakening.

It's a masterful stroke if this was a concious effort, one that could never truly be explained to the masses in the manner of 'soap-box' politics.

Still, it's important to recognise that such people who deny their own ignorance will always look down upon anyone who disagrees with them, even if it's someone who has researched the subject for most of their lives.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:29 AM
link   
It seems to me the staff just can't win here, if they remove posts or edit out things, people cry censorship, if they don't do these things people cry racism.

Racism is very real, and it is one topic we all need to discuss, perhaps one day with all the discussion behind us we can heal and move forward as one.

There will always be like minded groups coming here and posting there opinions whether you agree with them of not, it is life, and what Discussion is all about. AS long as they abide by the T&C I don't see a problem with it.

Just because it seems that a majority of ATS members don't like Obama the man doesn't mean they are racist, It Could just mean they don't like Obama the politician.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I wish the OP would just say what he is thinking or feeling instead of writing a long winded waah waah post about thread quality.

what he MEANT to say (if he wasn't so scared of what the ramifications were) is that he wishes the banning of people that posted controversial subjects or subjects that incited his ever so delicate disposition because he doesn't agree with them.

I have an idea, how about you grow a tougher skin and stop criticizing people that you don't agree with. how about you debate the subject rationally instead of crying to mommy about someone being mean to you.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObamaMomma

I have an idea, how about you grow a tougher skin and stop criticizing people that you don't agree with. how about you debate the subject rationally instead of crying to mommy about someone being mean to you.

ObamaMomma, why don't you just butt out?

Your condescending attitude towards others is not appreciated.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur
As usual, you've hit the nail on the head Crakeur.

Stifling free speech is never the answer, even when every fiber of your being is screaming 'idiot!' while reading it. Better to expose racism and hatred to the light of day and let it wither in the heat of the sun, than to let it grow in a dark back room somewhere.

Also, despite the number of idiotic posts out there, if you start deleting, you run the risk of deleting the truth as well. It takes a fine net to filter the truth, but a wide one to catch it in the first place.

I think ATS is just fine as is (with the possible exception of the anonymous posts, but that's just a personal observation).

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObamaMomma
I wish the OP would just say what he is thinking or feeling instead of writing a long winded waah waah post about thread quality.

what he MEANT to say (if he wasn't so scared of what the ramifications were) is that he wishes the banning of people that posted controversial subjects or subjects that incited his ever so delicate disposition because he doesn't agree with them.

I have an idea. Why not address the topic at hand, and actually read the 'long winded post'. That is unless it's too long to hold your attention.

I don't mind people disagreeing with me. I have plenty of friends on this site who disagree with me on things varying from race relations, government conspiracies, presidential candidates, law enforcement and a host of other issues. I respect them if they are able to hand down a decent argument for their case.

What I do have a problem with is ignorant posters who post 1 line items that say 'blacks do this' or 'jews are this' or 'homos cause this'. THAT is what I'm talking about. And that is what I'm describing. If you don't understand that, maybe it might behoove you to take some reading comprehension courses, and not skim through posts with a pre-conceived notion.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Perhaps the reason is also because of immaturity/young age of some of the posters.

Sure as a newbie I had some pretty bad posts at the beginning but I keep learning as I go to hopefully one day create a thread worth reading and discussing.

Maybe ATS adopting a minimum age limit for joining might be a way to go.....but then I suppose that would be discrimination and I'm sure there are a lot of young people here that are truly great contributors.

Choosing not to read or reply to certain posts would be the best way to go. That way when they go by the wayside and disappear the posters might realize that they need to up their game to make an intelligent contribution to ATS as a whole.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
Perhaps the reason is also because of immaturity/young age of some of the posters.

on the contrary, I've found that the majority of the hate posts come from supposedly educated, adult members. It's the younger members we should try and protect and educate so that hatred of people due to their being part of a group is minimized. I say minimized because you will never rid the planet of hate. There will always be those people who will need to blame a group of people for their own shortcomings and personal failures.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

True enough, its too bad that it even has to spill into here. Freedom of speech is a great thing.....only to be abused by a few bad apples and of course when these people are called on and punished on their hate filled post whats the first thing they do? cite the right to freedom of speech.

**add**

Also yes I agree there are many older people on here that should know better but tend to act like children when given the chance.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by QBSneak000]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
What I do have a problem with is ignorant posters who post 1 line items that say 'blacks do this' or 'jews are this' or 'homos cause this'. THAT is what I'm talking about. And that is what I'm describing. If you don't understand that, maybe it might behoove you to take some reading comprehension courses, and not skim through posts with a pre-conceived notion.

I agree that those posts are a major pain in the back side.

But how does that equate to us selling out? The whole quantity over quality is a little baseless, because as a longstanding member.. I'm sure you're aware of our standard for quality submissions.

If the topic at hand is what you've quoted above, then I think we have some real issues to discuss. But the title of this thread is going to continue to deter positive discussion on the real issue.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
See my signature.....

Figure it out.

and as the saying goes...

"can't we all just get along"

[edit on 24-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

But is there really any way to fix the problem or do you just let it run its course and hope for the best. (kind of like a tidal system....it has its highs and lows)

Selective reading is a great way to go.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
truth is, we have actually lost some potential revenue thanks to some of the posts that appear on the front page. You read that right. We were working with a company and they saw some ridiculous post on the front page and told us they didn't want to advertise on a site that had that kind of stuff being discussed. We didn't remove it and going forward we won't remove topics to help with the income. That's not how we operate. We are here to discuss alternative topics and we will not do anything that would hurt the flow of information or stifle the discussions simply for a buck.

If we wanted to sell out, the fastest route would be to remove all "edgy" topics that make people uncomfortable. what you are suggesting is somewhat contrary to that. You think, by letting someone post anti-anything posts we are, somehow, profiting. That's pure nonsense. If anything, we stand to lose money as a result of those topics.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire
It seems to me the staff just can't win here,

I understand your point, but I don't think any of us view it as a competition, or something that can be won or lost. You're right, no matter what we do, it's going to irritate a significant number of members. And "irritate" is a gross understatement, believe me. We're just all trying to do our level best to ensure no one is trampled upon and has the opportunity to contribute, unless they're in gross violation of the T&C. It ain't the way to make friends, but if I wanted to make friends, I'd...

Actually I'm not sure what I'd do. As a certified misanthrope, it isn't an issue.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

And Crakeur

It's more than just the idiotic single line posts. It's the idea that ATS is aiming to grab as many new users as possible and care less and less about the quality of the membership.

I'm pretty sure that the things discussed by SO (Bill) in this thread are no longer in practice
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then again, maybe it still is in practice, but not enforced nearly as attentively.

It seems to me that in the above link, the goal of ATS was to bring in the best, the brightest and those who have the will to contribute and to learn from the site. Now, with the idea that 'you can come on in, as long as you don't violate the T&C' is reducing that quality of membership.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by QBSneak000
Selective reading is a great way to go.

Your post was extremely well said.

With a board of this magnitude, we're going to meet varying opinions. Hell, if marriages have been failing for centuries due to an inability to agree.. how the hell do we expect hundreds of thousands of strangers to agree through an online message board?

we're going to annoy one another, we're going to disagree.. but at the end of the day, we can learn from one another. Even if we disagree.

If the material evokes negative emotion from the reader, selective reading.

Assuming of course the content in question is within the terms and conditions.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

It's a cycle, Hoss. Ebb and flow. We're too (pick as many as you'd like)- heavy-handed, weak willed, Zionist, Nazi, atheist, Christian, Jewish, etc. etc. On any given day, I'll see at least three of the aforementioned leveled at us in the "Complaints" forum. Believe it or not, the only instruction we've ever been given in terms of how to moderate is, follow the T&C. Period. What that tells me is, we're probably doing something right, since we seem to be able to offend everyone equally.

And I don't know any more about the personal lives or inside business practices of the owners than I did a year before I became a moderator, so I'm quite certain there's no underhanded initiative to drive numbers for the sake of quality. If anything, it's just the opposite. Not that I expect anyone to believe me.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
It's more than just the idiotic single line posts. It's the idea that ATS is aiming to grab as many new users as possible and care less and less about the quality of the membership.

members see far less ads than non-members and ads pay the bills.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
truth is, we have actually lost some potential revenue thanks to some of the posts that appear on the front page. You read that right. We were working with a company and they saw some ridiculous post on the front page and told us they didn't want to advertise on a site that had that kind of stuff being discussed.
Oh Mr. Crakeur, you know you just can't toss that teaser out there and leave us hanging wondering what thread was so abominable!

(I'm dying to go look it up
)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join