It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegals in the US military

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Interesting article:

One in 100 active-duty U.S. military members may be Illegal imigrants

"An article in The Denver Post on Feb. 24 that the U.S. military does not know the citizenship status of 16,031 active-duty military personnel..."

"...the U.S. military has enough "unknowns" to man a standard Marine division."

"The case of an Army private from Mexico, who enlisted using a fake green card and then served in Iraq, suggests some of the unknowns could be illegal immigrants. The military has no set procedure for handling these cases. U.S. congressional leaders are looking into the matter ... Some experts see a security risk. Military officials say they've had few problems so far, but the 9/11 terrorist attacks raised concerns."

As a side note: Did you also know that the Somali Faction leader Gen. Mohamed Farrah Aidid (who I believe was a target during the ill-fated Mogadishu raid by US Rangers/Delta) has a son who is not only a naturalised US citizen, but also a US Marine? And to top it off, he has gone back to Somalia to take over his deceased fathers role as Warlord.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   
You do realize that after serving for a specified length of time, they are made "legalized" US citizens?

regards
seekerof

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Yeah I'm aware of that, but I dunno if that makes it right. Remember that incident where a troubled infantryman grenaded his own comrades early on in the Iraq war (could have been Afghanistan)?

Wouldn't like to think of the results had an Al Qaeda sympathiser infiltrated the ranks. Don't you think?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Well, consider the case then, of the american Al-Queda member... It doesn't take a foreigner to be traitorous...

I'm with Seeker...if they want to pay their dues, let them, and the reward can be citizenship.... Illegal or not, all traitors are dealt with the same....harshly.

I will agree, that a more thorough check should be done though, especially if coming from certain nations....and I'm sure that's already policy.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:26 AM
link   
btw, Im not starting a debate. Just a heads up. Sure they can earn a citizenship through service, my point wasnt regarding that at all. But with faked greencards that actually got through all the officials, of all places, in the US Military?

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Are you claiming that the US military is unaware of their legal status?
Having served (opps---another secret revealed), I find this highly doubtful.
The military does know....
"Greencard" over lapses may occur within state regulations and such, but in regards to government job placements and the government and the US military, an indepth background check will show exactly "who" they are and what their "status" is, in regards to "illegial", non-US citizen, or citizen, and/or "legal".

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I don't think there's much to worry about there, I'm sure that these people are extensively checked out before they can join the armed forces.

There's something seriously wrong if they weren't.

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Claiming? I'm not in any position to claim who is aware of what really. The writer of that article sure seems angry though. If I read correctly he serves/served too, and he didn't know.

"Military officials say they've had few problems so far, but the 9/11 terrorist attacks raised concerns."

If the gov/military would definately know their legal status, how then did this young Mexican chap serve in Iraq on a faked greencard?

Im not trying to slam your country or put you down or any such nonsense. This information genuinely concerned me and I don't even live there. In my country I believe you have to be a resident for minimum 4 years (last I heard anyway) before you can even get a chance to join. Im sure that applys to citizenship too.

And I hardly believe the US military is that hard up for members.

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by cargo]

posted on Mar, 6 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Hey, I read Starship Troopers! I'm all about full citizenship only after military service. That way, if Hollywood wanted anything to do with politics, they would have to live the horror they attempt to recreate.

I know that's not fair,
DeltaChaos

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I can see what cargo is getting at, supposed extensive checks being made does not make someone legit, for example Ian Huntley, yes, may be a example from the UK but we dont hear all you news over here.

If they arent 100% sure, maybe they shouldnt be allowed to enrol?

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:31 PM
link   
You see, Republicans are all about going to war, but when the time comes...you've just got to have someone around to do the dying. In the opinion of many politicians (not just republicans), it is easier to exploit the pride an Illegal immigrant has for his adopted country by sending him overseas to go kill people that his government doesn't like. Simple fact of life. Sucks, I know.

posted on Mar, 11 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
when I was in the Navy, in bootcamp, we had 3 guys, from somewhere, can't remember the country, who could barely speak one word of english, I don't know if they were illegal or not, but I don't know how they would have gotten thier green cards.

The CC's had to explain everything to them 2-3 times. They were smart thought, once they could understand what was being said to them, the followed instructions to the T.

posted on Sep, 9 2006 @ 12:01 PM
link   
im in the navy right now and i see guys all the time who could barely speak. one of the guys i work with is from pakistan, i would rather trust him with anything than to trust anyone else he is a good guy.

posted on Sep, 18 2006 @ 11:21 PM
link   
also the military does do a background check before people even sign up for the military.

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 12:53 AM
link   
Didn't bother to read the replies to the first post, but I read the first. I'll get to those later if need be, just wanted to address the topic first hand.

From what I've seen in OSUT, I had a DS who was not of a US nationality, and through his service he would gain such. He was one of the damn finest Drills I had out of the the troops who taught us. He knew his job, and how to teach it to those who would be the teachers.

Any one who has to endure more, than what a civilian takes for granted on a daily basis is A ok in my book.

Just my $.02

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Quite frankly if they want to fight for this nation they deserve citizenship, they do alot more than the average American Citizen who doesn't go into the service but, takes everything for granted.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I believe they definitely deserve citizenship. Moreso than some wasterels sitting on the couch, watching Jerry Springer, and living off of govt. aid. We need more of them, and less public leeches.

Thank you to all US and non-US citizens who have served the United States of America!

posted on Sep, 19 2006 @ 05:07 PM
link   
When I was in Texas, the the recruiters actively enrolled mexican nationals for the US citizenship. This seems a better thing to do than build massive walls to keep them out. They serve our country, pay our taxes, and have jobs that are legal.....how is this a bad thing?

new topics

top topics

join