It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs who more, the US or China?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
I'll say, china needs the US more than the US needs china, definitely.
The US is a 13 trillion economy vs china's 3 trillion. And the US is the major consumer of china's products, without the US, china's economy will come to a grinding halt!

Okay, so who agrees with me?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The US needs China more, who would build all the cheap products that are essential for them?...employment in the US has become so expensive (minimum wage) that cheap products you take for granted would skyrocket in price. besides China has over a billion people, they have before, and can easily take care of themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:23 AM
link   
I'm going to have to be cheesy here and say that you need each other.

The day you refuse to co-operate will be the day you start targeting one another with nukes.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:24 AM
link   
The US needs China more, who would build all the cheap products that are essential for them?...employment in the US has become so expensive (minimum wage) that cheap products you take for granted would skyrocket in price. besides China has over a billion people, they have before, and can easily take care of themselves.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti-Tyrant

I know that, the idea is this, if conflict is inevitable, who will got the upper hand.
I think the US definitely has the upper hand. Especially since historically the US doesn't need china. However china needs the US/western technologies, they cannot develop their own.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   
We both need each other now apparently : )

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Won't be a question of need... Eventually, it'll be a question of ownership. We all know about the national debt...so who do we owe it to? Well, there you go...

Without China, the US would see massive inflation, and the economy would grind to a halt.
Without the US, China would have no large consumer base, and their economy would grind to a halt.

It's a symbiotic relationship in which if either side up and died, the other would quickly follow. Conflict is NOT inevitable, it is to be avoided by both sides, at ALL costs, lest the one initiating sever their own head...

[edit on 25-6-2008 by Gazrok]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   
China needs the U.S. more than the U.S. needs China. While the U.S. could look elsewhere for companies to build it's trinkets and cheap gadgets, China would have a hard time selling 20,000,000 Ronald McDonald posable action figures to any other country.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Sorry guys, I'm away for a while, cannot routinely check up on my PC.

Originally posted by Gazrok
It's a symbiotic relationship in which if either side up and died, the other would quickly follow.

Really Gazrok, is it that bad? So you're basically saying that US is joined at the hip with China. How could that happen in the first place anyway? The US is the surviving superpower of the cold war and now she's joined at the hip with a big communist country. Kinda ironic isn't it?

Personally, I'm with dbates on this one. I don't think the US is dependent on China. Besides conflict might be inevitable, not a big one, but one might have to submit or kowtow to the other. The source of conflict..... that's easy........... OIL.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
The US needs China.

China produces such a variety of goods, from toenail clippers to automobiles, at a cost that is affordable anywhere in the world.

America can't produce the variety goods China does at a cost that the average American can afford.

That is why so many American jobs have been outsourced overseas.
And that is why China owns us.

If we want to compete, we have to find a way to manufacture quality, affordable products here at home and have worldwide markets for those products.

It's great we put a McDonald's in Beijing and taught these people to make hamburgers. It's wonderful we have a new Coca-Cola bottling plant in the Amazon, but now that these people know how to make a Whopper and Coke themselves, they don't need us.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   
While it's all well and good being able to point out how the U.S needs China, it's important to realise that China needs the U.S as well, in order to keep it's neighbours in check without having to resort to aggressive diplomatising.

Because of the reputation of the U.S as a general watchdog, China can more or less rest assured that the U.S will step in (possibly) if tshtf in that region of the world.

Without the U.S, i imagine they would have tried to conquer that part of the world by now.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
I see China as an incredibly mutually beneficially relationship, I almost laugh aloud when people question that China would go to war with us or vice versa.

The US despite being a media moster that loves to display our stupid side has another side that is in love with Asian culture as a whole, from martial arts, to philosophy and cusine and art...

I think the US allowing China to take a big interest in South America is huge and I see a long slow process of coming together here, but one that is going to up the culture of America nad China signifigantly

and culture is in the end as large or larger than money, The American, freedom, expression in China and The Chinese sense of logic and spirituality in America humanizes both countries as a whole and the money is fantastic between us too...

Long prosperous future for America and China

and btw... in MHO Half Asian half Caucasian Girls are so darn hot...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
I see China as an incredibly mutually beneficially relationship, I almost laugh aloud when people question that China would go to war with us or vice versa.

But now we're not so sure anymore. It's possible.

The US despite being a media moster that loves to display our stupid side has another side that is in love with Asian culture as a whole, from martial arts, to philosophy and cusine and art...

Ancient china or china in general is not the same like communist controlled china (which is more russian than chinese). US likes china, not the communist controlled china. That is why the possibility is very open for conflict with the communist controlled china.

Let me restate the thread, my point is very simple, even though the US has a lot debt, the US still has way more leverage and more control compare to china. So.. when push comes to shove, the US will be the one who comes out on top. China has no chance whatsoever, none at all.

new topics

top topics

join