It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Singularity: 0 or 1?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I just got a brand new IEEE Spectrum magazine in the mail. On the front cover, there is a picture of a transparent skinned person, with wires and electronic nodules inside of a person's mind. The front cover image is referring to singularity robotics or computing, where a computer or robot thinks entirely for itself, just like a human, or using this technology for a sort of "technotrancendence".

This technology is talked about much in the article, and puts up a serious debate for whether it will be humans who are getting the upgrade, or robots who will do the upgrading.

Yet, either way I see it, it is going to go south. Let me explain. There are many ways that robots can do wrong, or do right, but you have to admit that there is a controller. Some one has to control the robot, someone has to give it code, orders, and thoughts. On the other hand, if we were to receive bio-digital implants, those would need code, orders, and thoughts too, in order to correctly function.

The good side: simple tasks will become even simpler, and some goes for hard tasks. Manual labor will cease to exist, and one can live the life with a personal robotic butler. Also, Alzheimer's disease will cease to exist because digital implants will ensure safe memory storage, and access to such memory will become faster, and you will always remeber what you need to know.

The bad side: People will start to think less and less, always striving for simplicity, and effeciency. Philosophy will end and so will metaphysics. People will forget what it means to put forth effort, and forget what it's like to be disconnected from the general public. Mass groups of people will become hives. People won't stop to think how it works, it just works. People will stop questioning life, and just live. Just live. Robots will have most control over basic things, and those robots too could have programming that does not look out for the general public's greater interest, i.e., better for the "elite" society. This also corresponds that the new human mind could have programming harmful to the human it resides in. Hypnotic suggestions, mind control, implanting generalized thoughts and emotions...RATIONALIZED emotions. Making sure that the general public will feel emotion, but not enough to act human. Sub-human is a good way to describe it. Also, other people can hack minds if they are good enough, the government too. They could do this by opening up a kind of frequency that your new mind is attuned to, and every option is there for them. Forced movement of lips, eyes, legs, everything; control of hearing; voice to skull technology; forced messages and motives.

Choose for yourself which one that you want. As for a 0 or a 1, I choose not to play the game.

This all starts in February 18, 2009, or the Digital Revolution.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TechnoFan21
The bad side: People will start to think less and less, always striving for simplicity, and effeciency. Philosophy will end and so will metaphysics.

Why would you presume this? With greater leisure comes the time to think. To philosophize. Rather than have the thoughts on the order of, "Gotta get ready for work," "Gotta get this task done," "Gotta handle this and that and the other thing(s) over there," the time will be available to contemplate and discuss the Universe.

People will forget what it means to put forth effort, and forget what it's like to be disconnected from the general public.

Eh? Again, why do you presume this? People will be allowed to put forth effort in following their bliss, not slogging through the agony of making a living doing something they have little interest in. They can go where they want and do what they want. Spend time with the people they love and not have to "put up with that jerk of a boss" (or whoever).

People won't stop to think how it works, it just works.

And those whose interest, whose bliss is knowing these things will know them fully. As it stands now, most people, with no interest in HOW the TV works, know that it works. But there are those who DO know how it works. Because they either work in the sector or they WANT to know (or both). So where do you see a problem here? This is how it is already.

People will stop questioning life, and just live. Just live.

Heh. I doubt the questions will stop, and the time will be available to ask, and pursue, the questions. Do you really think that removing the slavery element from our lives will make us any less curious?

And for those who lack a bliss in their curiosity... What's wrong with "just" living? Maybe spending all one's time in an amusement park... Or dancing... Or (whatever blissful thing one might find to do)? I mean...

How do you place a value judgment on the subjective experience of another?

Robots will have most control over basic things, and those robots too could have programming that does not look out for the general public's greater interest, i.e., better for the "elite" society.

This is a legitimate concern, as things stand now. But along with the advances in robotics will come advances in a number of areas, and we will see free energy. With free energy, there will be no "Elite." Money, after all, is a representation of energy in one form or another.

Because usable energy is effectively a finite quantity in our current structure, we use money to represent its transferrance. When free energy enters the "marketplace," the society at large, money becomes moot. And combined with all the tech, we will find ourselves counting our richness in terms of character and not bank accounts.

This also corresponds that the new human mind could have programming harmful to the human it resides in. Hypnotic suggestions, mind control, implanting generalized thoughts and emotions...RATIONALIZED emotions. Making sure that the general public will feel emotion, but not enough to act human. Sub-human is a good way to describe it. Also, other people can hack minds if they are good enough, the government too. They could do this by opening up a kind of frequency that your new mind is attuned to, and every option is there for them. Forced movement of lips, eyes, legs, everything; control of hearing; voice to skull technology; forced messages and motives.

I agree that things could go awry in this fashion if we are not diligent. The Elite do not want to become obsolete (ooo, hey. That rhymes), getting off on their status and perceived notion that they are "better" than the rest of us (for merely having money and genetics). This is why free energy solutions have consistently been quashed. They know that with free energy comes the requirement to have character to be rich, not a mere energy demarking abundance.

Choose for yourself which one that you want. As for a 0 or a 1, I choose not to play the game.

What do you mean here? I plan to "play the game" in fighting for and ensuring that our race is served by technology, not merely an elite. It is/will be war, but likely a final battle.

(You may be interested in reading my story found here: www.frontsoft.com... It covers much of what you are talking about.)

This all starts in February 18, 2009, or the Digital Revolution.

Wow... A specific date, eh? Can you point to where and or why this date?

[edit on 7/10/2008 by Amaterasu]

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
I think your bleak, sloth-like view of people's reaction to automation has a flawed assumption. That being that people will be reacting while in the suppressed mental state that is so prevalent today; and failing rapidly in more and more individuals. I think the poster prior describes a more likely outcome - greater thinking. I had the good fortune to end up in a situation wealth for about 10 months - one in which I was free to do what I will without concern for necessities. I've never been more inspired intellectually in any other period of my life.

The singularity is at 0. Consider: 3d - up/down, left/right, fwd/back --- 2d - up/down, left right. --- 1d - up/down --- 0d - a singularity or point.

so my question is, then where is nothing? -1?

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
The Singularity is neither. It is undefined. Kind of like what happens when you try to divide by zero. Computers really don't like it.

On September 21, 1997, a divide by zero error in the USS Yorktown (CG-48) Remote Data Base Manager brought down all the machines on the network, causing the ship's propulsion system to fail.

en.wikipedia.org...

In mathematics, a singularity is in general a point at which a given mathematical object is not defined

en.wikipedia.org...

So the Singularity is not the Monad or Zeroth.

The technological singularity will likely lead humanity to building a post human god, an artilect. The machines will probably become the Elite. The humans will be too busy Playing World of Starcraft or something like it to really care. So technology will transcend and we'll be playing video games. Yay.

posted on Jul, 10 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

My whole aproach at this was to accurately display what singularity would really be like in this life that is controlled by the Illuminati. They will make sure that the good side of singularity does not happen.

Also, this is not jut the elite exercising their control on the domain of races for energy. The elite Illuminati already have free energy, and they are imposing a lifestyle upon us where only limited fuel resources are available. Same thing with money. It's all just a lie so that we will be happy to work tirelessly to get what we think we need, which is the essence of greed.

Originally posted by verbal kint
The singularity is at 0. Consider: 3d - up/down, left/right, fwd/back --- 2d - up/down, left right. --- 1d - up/down --- 0d - a singularity or point.

so my question is, then where is nothing? -1?

Singularity: 0 or 1 was just a catchy title that referred to the thread proper. Also referred to the digital revolution which will further our progress down the road to the NWO. Also used for good effect at the end, where 0 or 1 can be interpreted as the digital answer to a yes or a no. Black or white. Good or Evil.

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The Singularity is neither. It is undefined. Kind of like what happens when you try to divide by zero. Computers really don't like it.

Again, too much reading into the lines of the title. By making the title catchy I have exersised my talents in journalism, using an effective catch line, but sometimes people will read into it too much.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TechnoFan21

You subscribe to the IEEE Spectrum mag, are you an engineer or just a fan of nerdy things? Nothing at all wrong with nerdy things, I'm looking forward to the emotiv video game (the one where your mind controls the actions you take playing the game). emotiv.com...

I need something to take up my spare time while waiting for everyone on earth to blow themsleves up. We will see what happens in February of next year. Looking forward to whatever happens, good or bad.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by TechnoFan21

It might not be too much reading into it if you think about.

Some people believe the technological singularity will be catapulted by a revolution in quantum computing. In a quantum computer both 0 and 1 would be the answer.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Ah. I do remember reading an article about that in Seed Magazine.

posted on Jul, 11 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechnoFan21
reply to post by Amaterasu

My whole aproach at this was to accurately display what singularity would really be like in this life that is controlled by the Illuminati. They will make sure that the good side of singularity does not happen.

Well... They will TRY to ensure that the good side does not prevail. I agree with that. And if they win, it will be ugly, I concur there as well. It's just that I don't think they WILL prevail. Not when it's all said and done.

Also, this is not jut the elite exercising their control on the domain of races for energy. The elite Illuminati already have free energy, and they are imposing a lifestyle upon us where only limited fuel resources are available. Same thing with money. It's all just a lie so that we will be happy to work tirelessly to get what we think we need, which is the essence of greed.

I agree here, as well. But people ARE waking up, slowly I admit, and it may be too slowly such that They prevail... Still. The data are out there and most, though they don't believe now, still are aware of the data. When a radical move is made (as it seems will happen soon - Martial Law is planned for) the bulk of us will have an Aha! moment. And that will shift things.

Call me Optimist. [smile]

[edit on 7/11/2008 by Amaterasu]

top topics

join