It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dobson accuses Obama of 'distorting' Bible

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   
I'm not sure the OP understands the context of what Obama said. This is way blown out of proportion and definitely not what Obama is saying. Obama was merely saying that if we base everything we do on literal translations of the bible, it would be very unrealistic, and that for the people who disagree to that; they should probably read their bibles more.

Here is the full context of the article:

In the speech, Obama suggests it would be impractical to govern based solely on the word of the Bible, noting some passages suggest slavery is permissible and eating shellfish is disgraceful. "Which passages of scripture should guide our public policy?" Obama asks in the speech. "Should we go with Leviticus, which suggests slavery is OK and that eating shellfish is an abomination? Or we could go with Deuteronomy, which suggests stoning your child if he strays from the faith? Or should we just stick to the Sermon on the Mount? "So before we get carried away, let's read our Bible now," Obama also said to cheers. "Folks haven't been reading their Bible." He also calls Jesus' Sermon on the Mount "a passage that is so radical that it's doubtful that our Defense Department would survive its application."

That is far from what the OP is implying and in fact I believe it is the opposite of what you are worried about my friend.

It's an obvious pull for the republican party and a smear to Obama that was taken and twisted into the "controversy" that it appears to be, but isn't. James Dobson is a republican lap dog who got the Christian vote for George W. Bush and is a frequent guest on Fox News. Don't believe in this guy's nonsense.

A May 2005 article by Chris Hedges in Harpers described Dobson as "perhaps the most powerful figure in the Dominionist movement" and "a crucial player in getting out the Christian vote for George W. Bush." Discernment Ministries, a site that describes dominionism as a heresy, characterized Dobson as belonging to the Patriotic American brand of dominionism, calling him "One of its most powerful leaders.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Azurus]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
And recently he was also accused of shunning muslims. The guy just can't win. I'm sure he offends far fewer agnostics... imagine that!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
That's rich - a hateful nut like Dobson is in no position to criticize anyone for "distorting" Christianity - that's what the man does for a living

And Obama's point was clearly that we can't go teaching religion in public schools, because nobody would agree on what version he would teach.
Not that we should teach a "liberal" version of Christianity in schools, but that religious instruction doesn't belong in public schools because you'll always be trampling someone's religious rights.

He is saying the government should stay out of religion, and he's right.

Reading comprehension anyone?

Q: All these extremists who want to put religious instruction in public schools, whose religion and what version of it are they going to teach?
A: Their extremist version, of course.

He's saying our public schools shouldn't be turned into the equivalent of the madrassas funded by Islamists that teach religious extremism, and he is right.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Dobson saying the old testament does not apply to new testament times is a major distortion...

He undoubtedly follows or accepts the 7 Noahide Laws And The 10 Commandments...from the OT,

Obama is gingerly pointing out the hiprocracy within the diverse christian community (lets think in terms of the 10 headed Beast of Revelation)

the OT And NT... are intregal parts of the complete Judeo-Christian Ideology that holds sway over the western world (aka Scarlet woman)

i see that both responders on page 2 : neformore and endrun have unveiled the OP as an outrageous and creative fearmongering thread starter....
Obama knows full well that a one world religion in Amerika is an impossible task...once again hes holding out an example of disunity.
and people like Dobson and Hagee are the roots...

sheeze

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
This all seems a bit hypocritical (once again) of the evangelical community.
You people are worried that someone else is going to dictate to you as to how to live your life and what to believe.
PLEASEEEEEEEEEE!
That takes the cake right there boy.

and yet you wonder why the people are turning away.
It's the hypocrisy that they see right thru.
Teach the real message, love and understanding not fear and we'll all be better off.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by TimeTracker]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Azurus
I'm not sure the OP understands the context of what Obama said. This is way blown out of proportion and definitely not what Obama is saying.

Very true! This thread is a typical BS Obama attack.

The OP CLEARLY did not even read the whole article OR know what Obama said in his speech in 2006. She is listening to Dobson's SKEWED version of what Obama said. Talk about distortion! Dobson should win a prize for his distortion of Obama's speech!

And it's SO SCARY! Jesus Christ, can't you read for yourself? Do you want the truth or more ammunition against Obama? Never mind, I know the answer.

The opposite of hope is hopeless and that's what this is. :shk: Pathetic!

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Very true! This thread is a typical BS Obama attack.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

It's very true that the timing of this thread is extremily convenient considering the current political climate, but isn't that the point of Corporate America?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

news.yahoo.com
"Even if we did have only Christians in our midst, if we expelled every non-Christian from the United States of America, whose Christianity would we teach in the schools?" Obama said. "Would we go with James Dobson's or Al ..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Good point "Obama" - Do we go with born again- catholic- protestant- baptist- new wave- methodist ??? Really J peoples??? What if one of these off shoots got their way over your way??? Born agains - what if you had your teachings interpreted by the pope - Or how about a belief in evolution that exists in some churches???How about churches that except Homosexuals??? Would you guys have to argue who is more holy??? Would your church kill to gain the influence over education protestants V. catholics type stuff

Finally would you guys ban science that was contrary to the bible??? How about banning dinosaur books - would you ban the studies into genetics that investigate mutations and further the XY studies of evolution??? How would you address human settlements that are determined to be older the most christian models of the world???

I bet some of you would if you got mad enough at some of gods real secrets!
It is this very reason that the founding fathers (free masons not christians) saw fit to separate church and state.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
I know I have disagreements with some of you folk regarding Black Liberation Theology - tho I am not an adherent of that particular brand - I do not feel threatened by it in anyway and the care which they take with their communities, care of the elderly and the poor an so forth is a page we could all take a lesson from -
however that said - I am confused by Obama's remarks - now I haven't heard the whole speech but his remark about "What brand of Christianity will we teach in the schools" left me scratching my head....the only schools that "teach" Christianity are Christian schools....the vast majority of schools, public and private teach NOTHING about Christianity and in fact have banned the discussion of it sometimes going to the extreme of banning the wearing of religious jewelry or symbols.....Oh you can chant Om and do Yoga and push Buddhism, Islam, and all manner of eastern thought but get a lawyer and prepare for suspension if you want to say a prayer or talk about Christ...so I am confused by his remarks...Was he addressing Christian educators only? can someone clear this up for me?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

Real... As far as I know this is regarding the introduction of "Christian" idea in publicly funded schools - like the world is 8,000 years old, dinosaurs are fake and monkey hands are actually feet although I guess they peel bananas with their feet which is cool to me!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by realshanti
I haven't heard the whole speech but his remark about "What brand of Christianity will we teach in the schools" left me scratching my head....the only schools that "teach" Christianity are Christian schools....

He was talking about why he thinks religion should NOT be taught in schools.Because even if we got rid of all the non-Christians in the country and decided to teach Christianity in schools, which brand of Christianity would we teach? His point was that even if everyone agreed to teach Christianity in schools, there would be problems because people would argue about which TYPE to teach. That's why religion should be taught in the home and at church.

Oh, yeah, Dobson left that part out.

This Black Liberation crap is just BS. Obama is a regular old born again Christian.

And I REALLY appreciate you not jumping to conclusions.
When some people don't understand or are confused, they jump to the most negative possible conclusions and think of it as fact.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

Star for you. Religious people are obviously thinking bit "shallow" about this issue. All of those who want religion in the public schools are passionate about it but when it comes to choosing which one is gonna be they all want it to be their own, regardless how people of other religions feel about it.

Simply wrapping it into teaching of ID (where god is "universal" concept among all Christian dominations) will not do, because people of other faiths and those who choose not to believe are against it (who can blame them for that?)...

If there was an Islamic or Buddhist version of ID we would never have discussion of ID or any other religious concept being thought in public schools

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

oooh - thanks for clearing that up
now it makes much more sense....honestly most Liberation theology (remember Central America and Bishop Romero?) is usually people actually taking the teachings of Christ uber seriously - when He commands to love one another and care for each other as we would for ourselves - thats why I don't understand why folk get so freaky about it - unless they have issues around race which of course some do...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   

news.yahoo.com

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - As Barack Obama broadens his outreach to evangelical voters, one of the movement's biggest names, James Dobson, accuses the likely Democratic presidential nominee of distorting the Bible and pushing a "fruitcake interpretation" of the Constitution. "Even if we did have only Christians in our midst, if we expelled every non-Christian from the United States of America, whose Christianity would we teach in the schools?" Obama said. "Would we go with James Dobson's or Al ..
(visit the link for the full news article)

you sure he isn't just addressing the religious right's desire to bring religion back into the schools? a simple question, much like what I've asked on several occasions when discussing this issues.....
just which of the many different religions (even within the christian faith, there are some major differences)....do you wish to be taught?
is the sabbath on sunday, or saturday?
what is baptism, is it okay to just sprinkle a little water on the top of the head, or should the person be submersed.....do they have to be old enough to know what's going on and to have agreed to this, or can it be done to babies?

there's a whole slew of differences within the christian faiths, which, ya may not seem like that much of a big deal now, but well...if you did remove all the non-christians from the picture....I got a feeling those small differences would begin to look much bigger.....people have to always have someone that they can claim to be wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

I can see your point but why then are other religions allowed? Often under the guise of "learning other cultures" which is a good intention but children have been asked to learn Islamic prayers, to chant Hindu invocations used in worship and such like - I've witnessed this kind of thing myself - it seems there is no parity for even a general Christian cultural perspective...perhaps it is because school officials feel that since Christianity is the mainstream that it need not be taught or encouraged but this then fuels the polarizing elements within the community...so perhaps the best thing is to keep ALL religion out of the schools period - but so far it has not unfolded this way...

Maybe all of this kind of teaching should be withheld in the schools until highschool and then it could be offered as an elective which covers all the major religions taught from a historical point of view....of course that could just be another can of worms but right now the can is already open and nobody is looking very objectively at its contents...

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bigwhammy

Actually Obama is speaking out to explain why we should not put religion in schools. Most evangelicals and the TV programs they watch (I know this because I must see my mother have these beliefs and watch these TV shows) say that the problems in schools today exist because we took prayer out of the schools. The evangelicals want prayer put in schools again. Obama is saying "even if we......" this implies that he is answering this question. I think Obama understands very well that schools and the government mut be secular. He does not have any plans to put religion in the schools.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Well at least James Dobson dosen't force everyone to believe his way. I think Obama is actually thinking he can make a one religion here.

I live in Colorado Springs and have all of my life. James Dobson is very opinionated about his version of Christianity and does try to make everyone believe how he believes. He and Focus on the Family have been politically active as far back as I can remember (want to guess which way he wants the laws to go? Hint: his way).

Between Obama and Dobson, Obama is the more open minded and the less likely to try and be persuasive regarding religion.

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning "one religion". Why do you think Obama wants just the one religion?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by realshanti

the school shouldn't be allowed to force the children to practice any religion, and I would consider making the kids learn Islamic prayers or hindu chants as doing just that. If I found out that they were doing this to one of my kids, I would be attending a few school board meetings and asking a few questions, just like I would if they were christian prayers. how can you learn a prayer, or a chant, without saying the prayers or chant, at least in your head.....what, do you add a disclaimer on the end of it that basically says, not really God, I am just doing my homework?
but, the answer isn't to give christianity equal time or a more prominent spot in the schools (like Dobson and friends want), it's to get the rest out of them. I got a feeling that the any teacher that's having their kids learn prayers and chants are working outside of the approved school subject matter....maybe they need to get out of the schools also?

[edit on 25-6-2008 by dawnstar]

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I'm not sure why you keep mentioning "one religion". Why do you think Obama wants just the one religion?

This is a good question because I don't understand why people would think that either. He is merely stating the obvious, in that if we soley allow literal interpretations of the Bible to dictate our political policies, then how would we determine what is right? Considering so many denomination treat the scriptures differently. Who then would be the ultimate definer when it comes to the scripture?

There is no one that can do that, and Obama is merely bringing this to terms. He is stating that the way that we interpret the Bible is up to ourselves, the churches we attend, and how we decide to live our lives and run our homes. While making this case, he relates that our own interpretations should not mix too freely with the "state", which I agree with.

Dobson on the otherhand would love nothing more than to have his "interpretation" of scripture be heavily mixed with politics, which he has already tried to do for so long. If you want our nation to be Neo-Christian extremists, then follow Dobson's army of brimstone, but don't confuse Obama in the mix.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
To take this out of context quote and jump to the conclusion that Obama wants a single national religion is absurd. Please. Separation of church and state people - whatever happened to it ? Show me any direct references to stated national policy, legal interpretations, economic policy or any other of the important issues at hand that have anything to do with this ? Obama's a lawyer, he was presenting a hypothetical situation as an argument. As flawed as it might have been, at least it was an attempt at understanding a complex issue. Something that I rarely hear coming from the current evangelically guided PTB's .

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join