It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

L.A. Seeing more people living out of their cars

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   

L.A. Seeing more people living out of their cars

www.breitbart.com

Amid the foreclosure crisis and the shaky economy, some California cities are seeing an increase in the number of people living out of their cars, vans or RVs.

Acting on complaints from homeowners, the Los Angeles City Council got tough earlier this year by forbidding nearly all overnight parking in residential neighborhoods such as South Brentwood.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I suspect this is just the tip of the iceberg with the way things are going...More and more people, particularly with the exponential rising cost of driving TO and FROM their jobs, may now have to make their vehicles their homes.

Sad that these people are being ran off and fined and harrassed from some cities, when they are still trying to work and be good citizens, and the cost of living has basically outpaced their ability to hold down a residence.

Doubly sad, some of the people's comments in this article, looking down at these people as being "nasty"...Shows the lack of empathy certain folks have for those who have fallen on hard times.

Sigh

People living out of their cars or campers tend to be more well-off than the homeless on the street. They usually have jobs or disability checks that enable them to maintain an old camper but do not allow them to afford rent.

"For more working-class and lower-middle-class people, the car is the first stop of being homeless, and sometimes it turns out to be a long stop," said Gary Blasi, a University of California, Los Angeles, law professor and activist on homeless issues.

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 23-6-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Could it also be that these people as well as many others like them were living beyond their means??? I would think so as we Americans cannot seem to save money. We just know how to spend it and spend it all and hell with tomorrow.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brothers
Could it also be that these people as well as many others like them were living beyond their means???

Yes, maybe you are right. Their seem to be more and more people whom
are living beyond their means.

When I was in Haiti I saw many persons suffering from the same vice as the "camper people" in LA.

[note: I am saying this tounge in cheek]

[edit on 24-6-2008 by whiteraven]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Could it also be that these people as well as many others like them were living beyond their means??? I would think so as we Americans cannot seem to save money. We just know how to spend it and spend it all and hell with tomorrow.

Could it also be that some of the CEO's of failed companies are so damn greedy that they are not giving raises to the little guy so that he can actually make ends meet? hmmmmm

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by solarstorm

I'm sure in some cases yes. But in other situations the government is there to bail the company out anyway so it really doesn't matter.

I feel like I'm living in the United States of Bear Stearns.

-ChriS

[edit on 23-6-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I was in the mortgage industry in the Golden years (so to speak).

Most of these people were lied to as far as what type of loan they were getting, what interest rate they were getting, and what fees they were paying.

The culprit to all of this is Ameriquest Mortage. Take a look at who the current Ambassador to the Netherlands is Ambassador to the Netherlands

I never worked for this corrupt company because I had two best friends who became rich (but of course now have nothing to show for it) and I saw and witnessed the lies they would tell there clients to "get a loan". Have you seen the paperwork that is involved in getting a loan?? These people were "sold" a bill of goods that was a lie.

I won't disagree with anyone who says it was there own fault, but at the same time the people who received these loans were not educated enough to know what they were getting into. Our school system in the last 10-20 yrs has not done a good enough job to teach people how to READ AND COMPREHEND.

Also, do some research on who the Queen of the Netherlands is. This should complete the circle.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by hoochymama]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:56 PM
link   
there's more to it than just living beyond their means . grant it yes ,americans especially people living in la do for the most part live way beyond their means but at least a couple more factors play into it here .
firstly , we here in la commute almost 30 minutes a day ( i dont know where they came up with that it's 2 hrs for me on average) and probably the highest gas prices in the country .
secondly, we have to compete with the largest amount of illegal aliens in the country for work which inturn drives the wages even lower for the entire work force .
third , we have some of the highest priced housing in the country .
and fourth ,the overall cost of living besides the housing cost are some of the highest in the country .
sales tax is 8.250% .
do i need to go on ?
first thing we need to do is get rid of the illegal aliens who send most of there money back to their home country and that would most likely take care a large portion of the problem .

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
The little guys are not important, it is all about how many of our soldiers die and how many Iraqi's we kill! [sarcasm]

You must understand that the average person is stupid when it comes to money. That is why not everyone is a millionaire. It is up to the higher ups to deal with this kind of problems. When you have the higher ups sleeping with big corporations then you have a big problem. The classes under them are not informed of what is going on, and then you get a problem like this.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Factor in the dying Dollar, high gas prices, huge credit card debts, drought, the housing market going downward, lack of jobs, and low morale, this is what happens.

We live lavishly because we are borrowing money from others to do so. Now it's time for us to pay it back.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
this is not a new problem here in california .
for example
sleeping in cars

good link abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 23-6-2008 by ironman433]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

The idea of "saving money" is completely outdated. Inflation and deflation of the standard-less federal reserve notes makes it impossible. You're far better off buying material goods that can be resold if you fall on hard times.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Majal]

new topics

top topics

join