It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To build a better church... or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
So, I've had the managing directorship of a non-denominational interfaith/pagan church dropped in my lap, and I have no idea what to do with it. The church has had it's ups and downs over the years, and came close to extinction twice, and now I've had it handed over to me because the job needed doing and nobody else would do it. I've found that many of the problems the organization has had over the years have resulted from the formation of personality cults, and the abuse of power for personal agendas amongst the board and clergy. All this is now, thankfully, in the past, but I've got a mess to work with. Membership is a faint shadow of what it was, the whole thing is a beauraucratic nightmare, and everybody wants the church to serve their needs, but nobody wants to put any effort into the needs of the church. At this point, I'm at a loss. Part of me wants to rebuild and restructure to avoid the problems of the past, and another part of me just wants to let it die in peace. Any ideas on what I should do?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I think you are already getting your answer! Do you sense God's spirit on it? If yes, then why is it going to seed? Does his work or desires fail? Do we often try to resurrect something that does not have God's blessing?

Just because we might want something does not mean that it is the right thing to do. But, then again, take what you want from what I am saying as I am no longer religious.

Ask yourself this question: "What does God have to do with it?"

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Therein lies the problem. I'm not really sure any god has anything to do with it, per se. I'm not personally a very religious person, although I am somewhat spiritual. For the most part I look at this as a responsibility that has been entrusted to me, and I really don't like to fail in my responsibilities, but on the other hand, what if it's a lost cause? Can it even be saved? Should it be saved? I just don't know.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Well, I believe in going by one's senses. God works through our senses, in my experience. If you are not sure, then look at motives, yours and those who entrusted it to you.

I also have this experience and understanding: God's will goes smoothly - generally. It may not feel comfortable but it feels right. If this does not fit with what you are feeling or experiencing - then I would take a really good look at this proposition and meditate (pray) on it.

Perhaps this is actually a codependent situation?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:05 AM
link   
You make a very good point. I will have to think on this for a bit before making a final decision, but I'm leaning heavily towards just letting it go.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PsychoHazard

My advice is to not do it abruptly.
I mean, let people in this organization know how you feel.
Say that you want others to act responsibly and take on some of the burden.
If no one wants to do anything to help, then you have your answer.
No reason to drag along a bunch of freeloaders.
If you just suddenly shut it down, you may have missed an opportunity for others to do something.
If you already know that no one will do any thing, that may be different.
Organizations fall apart because people want the glory of feeling like a sort of leader, but do not want to take on the responsibility.
If they are just taking advantage of your work, for there own fun, then I can see how you could be resentful.
Pretty common that stuff happens negatively because of human nature.

new topics

top topics

join