It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.MIX: Above Politics Show 21

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Above Politics Show 21

Martin and Justin interview the U.S. Libertarian party's Vice Presidential nominee, Mr. Wayne Root. The Libertarian VP hopeful doesn't pull any punches when he talks about his political ambitions, and his desire for small government. Taxes, Civil Service, Social Security, and Defense Spending are just some of the things he has very strong opinions about. Wayne was bold enough to answer questions about the potential for a North American Union. ATS member Tuning Spork wins this week's trivia contest. Martin challenges Root on his intended trade policies, while Justin hints at the launch of a new show segment that will air next week. What is the Libertarian plan for victory in '08? Why should Ron Paul supporters care? What is that new show segment, anyway? Tune in and find out!

Website for Wayne Root, Libertarian VP Candidate

PLEASE POST YOUR COMMENTS ON THIS SHOW THREAD ONLY!

To DOWNLOAD This Program, Put Your Mouse Cursor Over the BLUE SHOW FILE NAME, Then RIGHT CLICK. Slide The Cursor Down To SAVE TARGET AS And Then CLICK .... Now Just Decide WHERE You Want To Download The File To And CLICK SAVE. You Might Also Consider SUBSCRIBING To The Shows Through iTunes Where They Are Downloaded To Your computer Automatically.

Please FLAG, STAR & DIGG This Mutha!

length: 39:25
file: atsmix_2966.mp3
size: 13862k
feed: atsmix

[edit on 6/23/2008 by Dave Rabbit]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The answer to the trivia question is that 53.4 percent of people voted no .
Was a majority or rather over 50% of votes needed for a result ?

Cheers xpert11.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Another great show lads.

Mr. Root was a very energetic and enthusiastic guest. I really enjoyed him and his thoughts. I'll be looking forward to hearing the next installment.

Looking forward to the show on the Treaty of Lisbon and I'm curious on what the new segment will be.

Keep those great interviews coming.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Outstanding show, guys. Sounds like Wayne definately had his coffee before calling in.

There was so so so much that he said that I have long agreed with. BUT, just to be the (proverbial) quibbling son of a butcher, I wanted to respond to a few things.

Firstly,

As to why we are paying for the defense of Germany, Japan and South Korea.

1) We defend South Korea in order to protect them from North Korea. They are a source of cheap labor and are doing well enough, but I wouldn't call them a "wealthy" country as Mr. Root did. A whole host of products such as 79-cent butane lighters may not seem like a justification for defending an Asian population, but there's more than money at stake.

While I agree with the Libertarian Party on most issues, political and, thus, economic isolationism is not one of them. Barry Goldwater famously (or infamously said, based on your stripe) that "extremism in the defense of Liberty is no vice and moderation in the pursuit of Justice is no virtue".

I want America to continue to stand with the tired huddled masses yearning to breathe free, but they shouldn't have to cross an ocean and make a new home in a strange land to do so.

Somewhat ironically, I think, Libertarians like Neil Boortz often say that they support open borders world-wide. Not that I see the world wholey through a 911 prism, but I think it's obvious why that ideal would be an unwise pursuit.

2) We defend Japan because Japan has no military. We disarmed them as a condition of their surrender and are now responsible for their defense. Perhaps Wayne could research Japanese opinion on this matter. Would they be willing to redirect a significant portion of their national wealth toward defense just as China is becoming more wisely industrialized and may perhaps be holding a longstanding grudge?

Would Wayne say: "That's their problem to deal with, not ours", as if even 1% of Japanese alive today had anything to do with the war or it's conclusion?
Or would he say: "That was then and this is now", as if the future of the eastern Pacific rim has less relevance than it's past?

3) Re: Germany: I'd almost agree with Wayne, since the Cold War is over. But, with Putin's recent shananigans, I'm nonplussed by the suggestion that we may have no more national interest there, as well.

Secondly.......,

Well, since I ran on so long on the first one, I guess I'll save the second one for another post.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
We did our job if we made you think. Martin and I are proud of the fact that we got this interview. Some day, when the statute of limitations expires, we might tell you how we pulled it off.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It was a brilliant interview, lads! Hats off to you both!

Not only was it exhilirating hearing Mr. Root -- who is very much the political embodiment of Jolt Cola -- I thought the interview established new territory in some of the often debated issues.

I hope you pull off many more such interviews!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Secondly: About civil service.

It isn't so much the benefits (the "invisible paycheck") that comes with a government job that's the problem; it's the bureaucracy.

If you're a department head in a company you learn pretty quickly that you have to spend your budget. I'll repeat: Spend your budget. It's the only way you'll get more.

They'll tell you that you're "stupid" if you try to impress the brass by coming in under budget because they will only then cut your budget and make your life more miserable. (The word, fittingly, stems from the word "Miser": "Cheap", "One unwilling to spend.")

"Spend your budget -- and then some -- and then you can ask for more," is the mantra. Otherwise, they'll cut yer budget and ask you why you couldn't do more with less.

So my beef with Wayne on this is not so much the promised benefits of a government job, but that the bureaucracy has resulted in us all expecting that a government job is attractive in the first place.

I think it was James Madison who said something along the lines of: "Once the government realizes that it has control of the purse, well, then we're all screwed."

Okay, he didn't put it in quite those words. But that's the gist of it.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Tuning Spork]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
T.S. is not wrong. I was a Federal drone. I saw it first hand. The system does punish efficiency. It's just wrong when you get called on the carpet for doing your job.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

No correct answers yet. Listen to the question.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   
OK Martin I listened to your question again and my bogus maths gives me an estimate of 15% of population voted no .

Cheers xpert11.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

xpert, teacher says show your works!!!

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Now I will show why I don't work for treasure(SP?) .

I got rid of the zeros in the workings to try and make my life easier . Anyway I followed the calculation that can be found here .

As for the numbers I used . Ireland total population is six million and about two point nine million people voted . Fifty three point four percent of the two point nine million people voted no .

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
but isnt fire from light and isnt light dawn and is the name dawn meaning new times the devils knowledge is now valid but the all seing eye has a large file of never ebding wisdom

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:16 PM
link   
but isnt fire from light and isnt light dawn and is the name dawn meaning new times the devils knowledge is now valid but the all seing eye has a large file of never ebding wisdom

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
how dear you insult me mortal i gave you life

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 08:22 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I'm pleased to report that Martin and I will be interviewing Beverly Harris some time later next month. She's the reformer who speaks out against electronic voting machines, and the many ways that your vote can be stolen through wireless technologies.

Post your questions in this thread.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by xpert11

My maths made 20% but that depends on the source for the population of Ireland so xpert11, you are the winner. Points on the way

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Martin Bain
reply to post by xpert11

My maths made 20% but that depends on the source for the population of Ireland so xpert11, you are the winner. Points on the way

DONE!

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
We unleashed a new show segment in episode 22 We're pleased to report that we are looking for more material. "User generated content" can make or break The AP Show. Please...don't hurt us.

top topics

join