It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MPAA Says No Proof Needed in P2P Copyright Infringement Lawsuits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

MPAA Says No Proof Needed in P2P Copyright Infringement Lawsuits

blog.wired.com

The Motion Picture Association of America said Friday intellectual-property holders should have the right to collect damages, perhaps as much as $150,000 per copyright violation, without having to prove infringement.

"Mandating such proof could thus have the pernicious effect of depriving copyright owners of a practical remedy against massive copyright infringement in many instances," MPAA attorney Marie L. van Uitert wrote Friday to the federal judge overseeing the Jammie Thomas trial.

"It is often very difficult, and in some cases, impossible, to provide such direct proof when confronting modern forms of copyright infringement, whether over P2P networks or otherwise; understandably, copyright infringers typically do not keep records of infringement," van Uitert wrote on behalf of the movie studios, a position shared with the Recording Industry Association of America, which sued Thomas, the single mother of two.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
So technically, anyone that can access the internet would be guilty under their method of detection?

This is totally destroying the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

blog.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
This is totally destroying the concept of innocent until proven guilty.

Tell that to the people in Guantanamo!

Anyway, the MPAA/RIAA can say whatever they want, doesn't mean their arguments are taken seriously and especially that they have any legal basis.

Many of their requests and arguments have been rejected, and some of their cases overturned. I have confidence this one will as well.

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Just in case anyone from the MPAA or the RIAA happens to read ATS:

I share tens of thousands of files over p2p networks as well as IRC.

I am offering you clowns the chance to sue me

sty

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

i know it for a fact - in Sweden , 40% of the population is doing p2p!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by danx
Tell that to the people in Guantanamo!

Boy, you just can't stay on the topic at hand.

Yes, I will tell them that since they are not U.S. citizens therefore don't have the rights provided under the Constitution. Geesh!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:48 PM
link   
i would never buy a cd or dvd i never go to movies or pay for view television ..so any thing i have seen or listened to they would never have gotten money from me for it so theres no loss of sale ...

0 sales x money i would not have spent = £0.00...

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Well this is just another fact for people in America to get it in their heads that we are not govern by a government for the people.

We are the servants and slaves of corporate America.

Still needs more prof?

They are becoming so emboldened that now they do not have to hide anymore, they are becoming the judges and executors and with the rights to interpret and enforce laws any way they see fit in their favor.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The MPAA is fighting an uphill battle on this one. More and more people are using P2P networks, and its going to be impossible to charge even a fraction of a percent of them. The internet has created a truly open digital environment, and no amount of computer code is sacred, whether it adds up to a 50 cent album or nice helping of government secrets. Granted one is going to be easier to prosecute than the other, but in the long run people will get what they want.

Attempting to stop illegal downloading is like attempting to stop illegal immigration. You can arrest as many people as you want, even more will arrive to take their place.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Just because the MPAA says something, that does not make it so.
Their comment is just retarded and will never hold up in court.
Having said that, if you get caught with undeniable evidence of downloading copyrighted material, then you must pay the consequences. I mean it is stealing. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory
Boy, you just can't stay on the topic at hand.

Yet, you were the only one that didn't addressed the subject of this thread...

edit: I see you have now.

Yes, I will tell them that since they are not U.S. citizens therefore don't have the rights provided under the Constitution. Geesh!

You do realize that there are other rights other than the ones granted by the Constitution, right? And that people from other nationalities have rights too?

But anyway, the US Supreme Court already decided on what are Guantanamo's detainees rights.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by danx]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

You do realize that there are other rights other than the ones granted by the Constitution, right?

Like what because they are treated well.

And that people from other nationalities have rights too?

Yeah, but terrorists don't have U.S. citizen rights.

But anyway, the US Supreme Court already decided on what are Guantanamo's detainees rights.

That does not mean it's the correct decision. The 5 liberal judges were making law from the bench instead of ruling on the law. Besides, the Supreme Court once said that slavery was ok, so they don't always get it right.

Anyway, this conversation does not belong here, so drop it or start a new thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
So, If I say that I thought of Lord of the Rings...
By their logic they owe me royalties, even without me even trying to prove it?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Habeas Corpus isn't a US citizen's rights exclusivity.

Besides, the Supreme Court once said that slavery was ok, so they don't always get it right.

I wonder if that was thanks to liberal judges as well...

Anyway, this conversation does not belong here, so drop it or start a new thread.

Yea, but you started it, so don't act like I'm the one who did as I'm only replying to your posts.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   

So you call them terrorist because they are not us citizen come on man
In which court we proved it they are terrorist ?? one more advise to you dnt travel out of USA might be you be the next one in some other country

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Yea, but you started it, so don't act like I'm the one who did as I'm only replying to your posts.

Oh really!

Wasn't it you who posted, "Tell that to the people in Guantanamo!"

Again, you are wrong so be a man and admit it.
I'm not holding my breath.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by 123space

So you call them terrorist because they are not us citizen

Who do you think is in Gitmo? People on vacation?
They were caught on the battlefield killing U.S. soldiers and allied forces, so yeah, they are terrorists.
Please stop derailing this thread.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
As I've said elsewhere - P2P is NOT illegal! These people try to make it sound like it is, but it isn't.

P2P is damn efficient for transferring large files, but those files could be perfectly legit.

I stick two fingers up at the RIAA and the MPAA and my ISP who limits P2P speeds, and say "SUE ME!" for using P2P.

I didn't say I pirated stuff, did I? I don't. But I use P2P.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Who do you think is in Gitmo? People on vacation?
They were caught on the battlefield killing U.S. soldiers and allied forces, so yeah, they are terrorists.
Please stop derailing this thread.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A federal appeals court on Monday overturned a U.S. military tribunal's enemy combatant designation for a Chinese Muslim at the Guantanamo Bay prison, its first ruling that gives a detainee a chance for release. (source)

Those damn liberal judges!!!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This would be laughable, if it weren't so frightening. If I'm reading it right they want to be able to collect damages without having to prove that the person infringed on the copyright? How the heck is that going to work? They just going to send you a letter with the amount you owe them written down?

Damn, everyone should have that power.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join