It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don Imus: In trouble again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Well, Imus has done it again! On his radio show in New York this morning (6/23/08), Imus made a questionable comment concerning Dallas Cowboys conerback Adam "Pacman" Jones. this is the transcript of the exchange between Imus and sports reporter Warner Wolf, with a link to the audio below it.

Wolf: “Defensive back Adam ‘Pacman’ Jones, recently signed by the Cowboys. Here’s a guy suspended all of 2007 following a shooting in a Vegas night club.”

Imus: “Well, stuff happens. You’re in a night club, for God’s sake. What do you think’s gonna happen in a night club? People are drinking, they’re doing drugs. There are women there, and people have guns. So, there, go ahead.”

Wolf: “He’s also been arrested six times since being drafted by Tennessee in 2005.”

Imus: “What color is he?”

Wolf: “He’s African-American.”

Imus: “Well, there you go. Now we know.”

www.redlasso.com...

There has been some debate as to what Imus meant by " Well, there you go. Now we know." Some people say it was another racist remark by Imus, implying that because Jones is black, it is obvious he has been in trouble so many times. Others say that he was commenting on police profiling, saying that " Now we know" means that Jones was arrested because he was black. I think it was a racist remark. If you listen to the audio, you can tell by the way Wolf hesitates that he knows Imus just made a racist remark.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
BTW, don't get me wrong, I believe in free speech, and that no matter how racist his comments are, he still has a right to say them. However, I think that Imus' gig in New York is over for sure, and that he will probably retire from broadcasting once the MSM gets hold of this.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Even if it was a racist comment: So?

Really, he didn't encourage violence against another race nor demean them. His comment seems to indicated that the news he just heard affirms his prejudices.

Is having a predetermined point of view now illegal or even immoral?

If we continue to attack people like Imus for just airing his own views we run the risk of opening the door to attack anyone based on solely the popularity of their views.

You can turn off your radio and vote by not listening but to start a media witch-hunt against Imus because he says something you don't like is wrong.

Why? Basically, you are helping to send the message: If you think, feel, and talk in a way that is unpopular then you shouldn't be listened to.

You will find out that when you start speaking about the Israeli infiltration of our government that you too are attacked and censored.

You will find out that when you speak about the peculiarities of 911 that you too are attacked and censored.

You will find that when you speak about growing police injustices and increasing surveillance of the citizen that you too are attacked and censored.

Jon

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
all you amiture comentators just need to sit back and watch how the PRO's handle this. The good Reverend will be along soon enough to set all this injustice straight. There will be apologies. There will be some race baiting, and the will most certainly be a whole deck of race cards being played. What if Imus meant "well there you go, now we know" to signify that his question was answered. I am better than 70% sure he is as much of a racist as the rest of us are and therefore probably was stereotyping in his remark, but I doubt it can be proven. But things don't have to be proven when the Rev. gets involved. (Duke Lacrosse)

Sincerely,

A guy who can't stand Al Sharpton.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I've never listened to Imus even when I lived in New York City. What I'm having difficulty with here is that various comments are made all the time whether it's Saturday Night Live, Mad TV, Comedy Acts, etc.

If Obama wasn't running for president I would never have known about Rev. Wright and his hate messages which have been going on for over 20 years.

Obama felt that Imus wouldn't be working for him with his nappy haired comment, but no one has raised an eye-brow about his statement about his grandmother being "a typical white person." So, it's okay if Obama links how he feels about his grandmother and white people as typical white person (obviously, derogatory terminology). I'm sure there has to be people who have been offended.

Imus is always going to be Imus, just like Bill Maher is always going to be himself. Maybe the likes of Obama and Rev. Wright (with their racist remarks) should get over it, they have certainly done quite well for themselves.

From what was stated in the first post, in my opinion he was hinting at racial profiling and not trying to make a racial slur.

These type of accusations will get out of hand but only for one side of the racial issue. There are Black people who are racists too, just like every other nationality.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
According to Howard Stern when he worked with him at WNBC,he would make racist comments to a African-American secretary calling her the "N' word.Hes a racist pig.I dont even know why they gave him a new show again.People like that should be banned from radio,tv,or media all together.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
According to Howard Stern when he worked with him at WNBC,he would make racist comments to a African-American secretary calling her the "N' word.Hes a racist pig.I dont even know why they gave him a new show again.People like that should be banned from radio,tv,or media all together.

Banned for having an opinion you disagree with?

Quick! Run to your nearest church or college campus and be with your people!!!!

[edit on 23-6-2008 by slackerwire]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Its one thing to call out of context or referring then calling one bluntly out of hatred.He was just fired last year for making racist comments.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Its one thing to call out of context or referring then calling one bluntly out of hatred.

You do know people are free to hate whoever the hell they choose to right?

Obviously there was no hatred in his comment. Hell, he didn't say anything even remotely close to racist.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Its one thing to attack a persons character then the color of skin.I don't like terrorist but i choose not to attack ones ethnicity.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Uh ok.

What the hell are you talking about?

Try to stay on topic.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Imus, whatever they do to you, just please
dont go asking al sharpton or jesse jackson for forgiveness.

“I think that forgiveness is always in order, but forgiveness without paying a price is asking for amnesty.” - Rev. Sharpton

Jesus already paid the price for sins. I suppose the good “reverend” has forgotten that fact.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Nevermind...people do have different opinions on this matter.I rather not get into a debate over such topics.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I can't stand Imus's voice, it's pathetically monotoned. He has no sense of humor yet thinks he's clever and "witty." I don't see how he made it into that profession, let alone was able to rise and get rehired somewhere after proving he was a moron as well.

Hopefully this will finally take him down, where I am sure, a nice job in the janitorial arts awaits him.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

According to Howard Stern . . .

Ha ha ha, nothing like having standards. Now excuse me while I reset my moral compass.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
i would just like to know what qualificacationsare needed to determinewhat someone else was thinking, or meantin a statement.What qualifies your interpretationover the one who mde the actual statement? ARE YOU.................GOD??

top topics

join