It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Science Fiction of HollyWood

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Hey everyone... not sure if this is the right section to put this question but anyway. I was seeing if anyone would be able/willing to help me out with a project I'm doing for one of my summer classes.
Pretty much it's about the Science Hollywood uses in its movies.
i.e. the events of the "Day after Tomorow" happening at such a fast paced rate, that its impossible. It would take hundreds of years for something of that magnititude to happen.

etc.

anyway I was just seeing if anyone had any other suggestions for films, websites I could check out for information etc.

Thanks again!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
have you tried films like I-Robot, Minority Reports etc, these film producers brought futuroligists (people who predict the changes to technolgies in the future) they also had detailed websites with descriptions and explinations of technologies.

you can also look at Stealth the movie, even though it had crap acting the technology factor was quite interesting.

will keep a look out for further films, what exactly is it that you want to know and i'll see if i can help you.

Wee Mad Mental

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Bad Astronomy

This website is dedicated to such things as what you're talking about. Browse around, as they also cover religion, politics, tv, media news, etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I think 0ne of my all time favorite movies is Flight Of Then Navigator.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Thanks so much guys!

I didn't evne think of things like "Minority Report" or "I-Robot"
I'll have to check out those websites you mentioned.
Although I'll need to look into the guidelines for the project again... I'm not sure how well "future" science stuff fits into it. I think it has more to do with descripencies between science as we know it today, and what tv and film make it out to be.

Thanks again for the info!

I'll be posting again after i get some more work done.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Next year there is a based on the events of 2012 coming out.
www.imdb.com...
With the Mayan calendar ending in 2012, a large group of people must deal with natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, typhoons and glaciers.Also info..."An academic who opens a portal into a parallel universe encounters his double, and the two men pair up to prevent an apocalyptic event predicted by the Mayans"

[edit on 23-6-2008 by alienstar]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Keep in mind Hollywoods motto of, "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."

Remember Braveheart? Mel Gibson portrays William Wallace as a decent and honest freedom fighter. Read up a little bit about the real William Wallace, about his fondness for skinning his captives alive or how he murdered the population of York. (I think it was York) and how he wore human skin as his belt.

Hollywood doesn't really use science, They tell a story based on creative ideas. If some science backs up the story line, they toss it in.

Another Mel Gibson story line was, The Passion of the Christ. The dude was fighting addiction and part of fighting addiction is getting religious, or a higher power to believe in. Mel was working his program and made a goofy movie as a way to keep sober. Too bad it didn't work.

If Hollywood can find some facts to back up the movie they are making, they will. But they will use them to the advantage of the storyline, not because they are important.

Hope this helps,

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by alienstar
Next year there is a based on the events of 2012 coming out.
www.imdb.com...
With the Mayan calendar ending in 2012, a large group of people must deal with natural disasters such as volcanic eruptions, typhoons and glaciers.Also info..."An academic who opens a portal into a parallel universe encounters his double, and the two men pair up to prevent an apocalyptic event predicted by the Mayans"

[edit on 23-6-2008 by alienstar]

Before you get caught up in the idea that this might actually be a good movie with plot points relevant to the 2012 debate, just remember that this is from the guy who made, "Independence Day", "Stargate", "10,000 BC", and that crap Godzilla movie set in New York.

top topics

join