It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secret of the 'lost' tribe that wasn't

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Secret of the 'lost' tribe that wasn't

www.guardian.co.uk

They are the amazing pictures that were beamed around the globe: a handful of warriors from an 'undiscovered tribe' in the rainforest on the Brazilian-Peruvian border brandishing bows and arrows at the aircraft that photographed them.

Or so the story was told and sold. But it has now emerged that, far from being unknown, the tribe's existence has been noted since 1910 and the mission to photograph them was undertaken in order to prove that 'uncontacted' tribes still existed in an area endangered by the menace of the logging industry.

The disclosures have been made by the man behind the pictures, José Carlos Meirelles, 61, one of the handful of sertanistas – experts on indigenous tribes – working for the Brazilian Indian Protection Agency, Funai, which is dedicated to searching out remote tribes and protecting them.

In his first interviews since the disclosure of the tribe's existence, Meirelles described how he found the group, detailed how they lived and how he planned the publicity to protect them and other tribes in similar danger of losing the habitat in which they have flourished for hundreds of years.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I am immediately reminded of the Tasaday of the Phillipines in the 1970's.

They too were tauted as a lost tribe that had no exposure to the modern world.

They were however, unlike this tribe, a fraud right from the very beginning.

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:19 AM
link   
This is still a good subject the tribe is still isolated and protected. Their knowledge of the tribe is no surprise, I think the important thing here is to keep away from them and limit contact to the absolute minimum.

Even if they knew the tribe and others like them is irrelevant the point here is to leave them alone.

IMHO

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I agree with you. If they really have been isolated then physical exposure to us could be fatal... look what smallpox did to the native Americans.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I think the pictures are going to incite 'lost tribe tourism'. My feeling is that they need to be left alone.
Especially since they don't have immunity to our germs. Also, If they wanted to be 'found'......they would find us.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't mean to get off topic or anything but this makes me wonder if religious people think that this lost tribe who has never heard of any relgion are going to hell.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I remember something from another post when this story broke, saying that the Government knew of them and needed some proof to expose the fact that they were there. In order to help prevent further destruction of the rain forest.

So this story only confirms that this tribe and I believe as many as 200 others deep inside the forest need protection.

I agree it's sad to say this will probably touch off some quasi archaeological research mad dash

new topics

top topics

join