It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain offers $300 million for new auto battery

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   

McCain offers $300 million for new auto battery

apnews.myway.com

Sen. John McCain hopes to solve the country's energy crisis with cold hard cash.

The Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting thinks the government should offer a $300 million prize to the person who can develop an automobile battery that leapfrogs existing technology.

The prize would equate to $1 for every man, woman and child in the country.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Haha, I can just picture him coming up with this idea.

"Damn, I need to come up with something on this fuel energy thing, but I don't know much about it. Hmmmn, hey honey! Honey! Hey, cars, they have them battery things right? Ok yeah, so what if, get this, right, what if... we offer a reward for solving this problem, you know, to them smart scientist guys. *uncomfortable grin* And check this, right, ok, see we'll pay the reward by getting like, a buck from each person in the US. I mean, come on, any average american could probably find a few hundred bucks laying around the coffee table or something, and all they gotta do is send in a dollar. OH man, wait, lightning... has just struck my brain... we can put like, little coupon send in things in cereal boxes as a 'prize'. Yeah, like you know I have to have my captain crunch in the morning, so I'm sitting there, sailing on the milky seas of crunchdom when I get the opportunity to help the world. It's like I'm buck rogers, except I'm eating cereal. We get them to send in a dollar and in return, we'll send them a certificate.... what? what was that? well yeah it will cost money to print and send the certificate... i don't know, like.. a dollar or so... maybe more... yeah... ok... i can see how that sounds odd but it's not like you're--- i'm paying for it, whatever... Nap time!!"

ok, maybe it wasn't like that, but that's how I imagine it...

apnews.myway.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Dude, I laughed so hard when I read your post! Star!
This is so absurd....what's next?

sty

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
lol, it means he does not have shares of Textron ?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I remember reading about the Lithium ion battery that could make electric cars viable !, But the owners of the patent (Texaco and co) refuse to give permission for them to be used in cars !, Although they are common in laptops and mobile phones ?

Also what about the car from Japan that runs on just water revealed recently ?
If thats as real as it appears to be then surely that must be the "Holy Grail" for all our power needs.

Is this promise of $300 million just a diversionary smoke screen ?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
I don't see what's wrong with this.

It may not be the best idea or approach ever but at least he is proposing innovation.

Also, it seems to me this idea is the only one I've heard yet from the nominees that doesn't involve taxing us to death.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

I thought we already had totally electric vehicle technology available... Fuel Economy

I don't know the details of McCain's request... "More powerful"? More powerful than what?

GE is already working on this.

"Our newest collaboration with Think helps us achieve the large-scale production of batteries and integrate them into commercially available electric vehicles."

Think Global's crossover, called the Think Ox, is close to the size of a sport utility vehicle, but which the company said is lighter and more aerodynamic.

The company's Think City vehicle, a plug-in electric car with an over 100 mile range, is available now. Think Global is delivering its first cars in Norway, with international sales to follow later in the year.

Why don't we have these cars practically available already?

Something tells me that someone in McCain's campaign had a "brainstorm" and said, "We gotta get our numbers up. What's the biggest issue that's hurting Americans where they live? Gas prices? OK. Let's throw a bunch of money at a solution to make it look like we're doing something about it. A new battery! Let's make the people feel like they're involved"! blah-blah-blah...

It's like making a new law to appear to be concerned about an issue. The law already exists, it's just not being enforced. In this case, the technology already exists, it's just not being used. Big Oil is preventing it from being widely used. Hell, people are running cars on water!

Besides, John McCain voted against reducing our oil usage by 40% by 2025 (instead of 5%) and he's rated 17% by the CAF, indicating opposition to energy independence.

In 2003, McCain said that ethanol "does nothing to reduce fuel consumption, nothing to increase our energy independence, nothing to improve air quality."

Campaigning in Iowa in August 2006, he described ethanol as a "vital alternative energy source, not only because of our dependency on foreign oil but its greenhouse reduction effects."

Yesterday, in Massachusetts, he reverted to his anti-ethanol position.
Source: GovWatch on 2008 campaign: "Top Ten Flip-Flops" Feb 5, 2008

McCain On the Issues

I think this stinks of a campaign promise just to get votes and that would never go anywhere.

top topics

join