It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online bandwidth hogs to be cut off at trough?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Online bandwidth hogs to be cut off at trough?

www.sfgate.com

The era of carefree, unlimited Internet browsing and downloading might be coming to an end.

Industry leaders Comcast and Time Warner Cable have started testing traffic-metering and management techniques that seek to rein in heavy usage, and AT&T says such limits are inevitable for the most extreme users of its network.

That means that for the first time since the era of dial-up access, Internet providers are looking to count how many bytes a customer uses, potentially ending or significantly altering the practice of all-you-can-eat broadband consumption.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
This may not be entirely a bad thing because even though they are increasing prices for heavy users, they are offering smaller prices for lighter users.

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I'm not sure about the rest of Canada but this has been happening in Toronto for quite a few years here with the 2 main broadband ISP's. Prices here haven't changed all that much, previously everyone would have a 5mbps connection, where as now there are cheaper options which are in the 1-2mbps range and lower and also options for highers speeds upto 10mbps at higher costs. They also put in limits as to how much you can download, you usually have a higher limit with a faster connection option, if it's exceeded, you pay extra.

So overall if the changes proposed by these ISP's will be similar, then it's not really all that much to worry about, unless you download a lot. For example, I have the a 5mbps DSL line, with a 30 gig download limit. I've gone over that limit once.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Double post.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Probably won't work, people will simply move to other providers that provide unlimited broadband, and these companies who don't will lose customers.

Right?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This won't happen if people are resolute to end their internet services if they start metering downloads. I'll just keep switching ISPs until there's no one left then I'm done. Service will be canceled.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
its about time the US catches up with the rest of the world with FUP`s and caps - the caps themselves are really quite large - alot in the UK are 30GB > 50GB for a standard package going down to as low as 3GB for $5 a month (check email and surf)

and 50gig is quite alot - thats 20+ streaming movies; so you must ask - who actually wants more and what are they sharing

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
- who actually wants more and what are they sharing

Who wants to know?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
You have it easy.

25gb download limit, 1.5mb DSL, for $80 AUD. HOORAH FOR AUSTRALIAN INTERNET!!!! Before they brang in the new metering system I could pull over 3gb a day and 60gb+ a month.
Which reminds me, I really need to slow down, might not go on internet for a week maybe.

THANKS TELSTRA!!!

[edit on 23/6/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I think its stupid. Its not our fault they provide us internet at any rate... If they say we can use it at a certain speed and charge us for it they should just get over it and accept it. We cant help it if others dont know what downloading is capable of. I personally pay 40$ a month for dsl that is supposed to be 6MB... The actualy speed is 250Kb. I have to pay that much to keep a decent speed.... DSL lite I basically get Dial-Up on Steroids.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

im paying $69 for 40GIG DSL 1.5m... Soul offers for 79$ ADSL2+ and 150GIG> TPG offer 500GIG For $80 ADSL2+

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by LI(f)E.

Yes. I have to stay with Telstra cause a family member or relative works there.

[edit on 23/6/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
Probably won't work, people will simply move to other providers that provide unlimited broadband, and these companies who don't will lose customers.

Right?

How? Broadband is a monopoly. You can choose between your cable provider or your phone provider. Maybe satellite but not very likely. It's pretty much just 2 conglomerates in whatever town, city, state you live in that you can choose between.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by merryxmas

Those companies count on the fact that a lot of people will not be able to go without internet. I say that you will survive. And, you will only miss it for the first few days or a week. I had to cancel my service for several months after I lost my job. It really wasn't too bad, after the withdrawal symptoms went away.

Unless the internet is your major source of income, then I say scrap it. If enough people do this they won't have to wait long before the companies come to their senses. It's all about the dineros.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Right?

For the US, What other providers? Comcast and TimeWarner Cable pretty much own everything.

I used to work for Time Warner a ways back, and even back then, you had two choices in almost every region, Comcast, or Time Warner... and now... well.

Remember, Road Runner, AOL, and a number of other smaller ISP's are all owned by Time Warner.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I'm from Europe and it's nothing new here. Almost all internet provides over here log the amount of kbs you use up and if you use up your monthly dandwidth which is around 30gb - 40gb you're internet will be extremly slow untill the beginning of the next month where it all starts over again.

This is a very common practise over here in Europe but you hardly notice it because it's very difficult to download 40Gb a in a 30 day period.

Even if I managed to download 40Gb every month, my HD would be full in less than 6 months so I'm not complaining cause 40Gb is enough, even for heavy internet users like me (My consumption is around 100Mb - 3Gb / month).

cheers!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Yet another problem that can be solved by using your neighbor's wireless internet connection.

ERRR UMMM

What I meant to say was, gee, that would sure screw over anyone who runs a wireless network and doesn't have the know-how to keep it secure from being accessed by other people...

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mattifikation

You mean someone who doesn't at least have the common sense to set at the very least a WEP2 key which will keep out 99.9999% of intruders ?

*LMFAO*

You'd be surprised how many people in my neighborhood have this problem....Fortunately, I'm a decent guy, and I've alerted 6 people nearby to this and helped them fix it...

Sure, people should make the effort and learn how to not fall over dead when they get their monthly bill for "overs" or their account gets shaped before the end of the month due to leeching...

The fact remains, leeching is not cool, under any circumstance...

Peace

EDIT -- spelling

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Rilence]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Wow Australian have is bad, sorry to say.

I have a SOHO account from Shaw here in Ontario plus I added for an extra $10.00 extreme speed (10 mg.) and am anxiously waiting for nitro to hit my area.

I work from home doing tech support for high speed internet for a major U.S. cable company. All I can tell you is read your end user agreements. You agree to its terms when you start using the service, thus agreeing with your ISP on what limits you have, among other things.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Are DSL providers also contemplating this? It seems like it would be shooting themselves in the foot if the cable internet providers are talking about metered access and DSL providers are not.

Low usage might be cheaper, but what's low usage? Non-existant in a house with three or more people, I'd say!

<<   2  3 >>

join