It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you tell your friends/family about conspiracy subjet matter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:49 AM
link   
How do members of ATS approach other people about conspiracy topics? I am looking to see how do members tell their family/friends about touchy subjects without coming off as nut. Also, how do they react?

I'll start:

I just outright say it. Do you think 9/11 was really done by terriosts?

A lot of them say I don't know, I wasn't there. Then when I start to lay out the facts, they start looking at me crazy and then I back up.

How do other members convey information about subjects such as aliens, 9/11, Iran, Big Oil, NSA, etc.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
I usually crowbar it in as a sort of jokey comment,but have that little twinkle in my eye,to show that I'm not really joking.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Lol, that's a good one. How do they react to this one? Also, in the end do they engage in discussion with you.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Luckly my wife and I went down this rabbit hole together. My sister is also interested in this subject matter and I think it's caused quite a strain on her marriage. The rest of our family acts much like you describe. Initially I thought everyone would be interested to here about the truth. Thats not the case so I learned to keep it to a minimum with the family, or We get the rolling eyes and the "here we go"

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

Lol. I just wonder, why do people not want to hear the truth? I kind of asked my mom about a few things, she said she didn't want to hear about it because it would scare her and she is fine with her life.

I just don't get it, you would think everyone would want to know.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I've come to the conclusion it's much like an alcohaulic that will not get help until he's ready. Jordan Maxwell said it best (not exact quote) It's like taking a 400 watt light bulb into a sleeping persons room to wake them up,they put there arm over there eyes cause it's to much to take. When you go looking for truth on the other hand it opens a world of fascination.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

They think that they already know the truth. You will find that most people do not enjoy having someone erode the foundation of their own reality. Realistically, both sides have enough facts to make an argument but not enough to outright prove the point, so it only comes down to what you want to believe.

I find that discussing conspiracy topics with friends or family is best done in baby steps. Bring up a hint of a conspiracy and see what the reaction is. You can usually find out where someone stands on a subject pretty early on. You also know whether or not they will listen to an alternative view on the subject. I don't bother discussing it at all with someone who won't listen. No sense in coming across as a raving lunatic if you can avoid it.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

Well put, thats exactly the way I feel.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

The simple answer is, you dont bring it up. In my experience my family just doesnt want to think anything out of the ordinary is happening, like every sheeple alive, they want to think that aliens are fake (when the universe has an unimaginable amount of planets able to support life), they want to believe that 911 was really done by terrorists, they want to believe that nothing can ever happen to our rights or freedoms.

The fact of the matter is they dont want to know the truth so dont share it with them.

The system is our enemy, they are apart of the system we are against so they are our enemy. Because they will defend that system because its all they know and its all they want to know, they are dependent on that system.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by caballero

Is your avatar your real pic
But seriously I don't see my family as the enemy.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Swingarm]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Swingarm

Ahaha yes I look just like Heath Leger.

Well i got that quote from the Matrix, great movie, and maybe they arent the enemy but they still arent ready to accept the truth.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Well quite honestly, most of my friends and family think I am insane, so everytime I share a new conspiracy with them they just nod and give me the, "Hmm, that is interesting". While I do have some friends that have come to accept my ideas and are now bigger conspiracy theorists themselves. Sometimes you just have to tell it like it is. That is probably my biggest strength and weakness. I don't hold back. So I guess that is the easiest way for me. Just throw it all out there and see if someone bites.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:50 AM
link   
My father is as stubborn as a person can get. I have tried to explain things to him on countless occasions. But I think the older generation has a hard time grasping this sort of thing. They are set in their old ways of believing everything the government says as truth.

Its like beating a dead horse. I just try and bring it up to family members who have an open mind.

[edit on 6-23-2008 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
It's important to also realize how deep down the rabbit hole we have traversed. It is often easy to lose somebody in conversation as their eyes glaze over because I speak, sometimes assuming that they know the background, of subjects that need a LOT of background/support, otherwise it sounds like dribble.

We can't believe they aren't fascinated by the same subjects, but at some point before perhaps some of us were on the other side of the hill, so we have to acknowledge just how far, and how fragile, one must go back to approach the family member or friend. I have heard the religious conflictions and also the "I don't want to know!" responses even though they suspect, or feel there is a kernel of truth that would unravel their comfort.

A lot of people are just plain busy and their minds convoluted to give thought to alternatives besides what is ingrained. There is simply not enough time, space, and care for alternatives.

When speaking to family and friends, it is important to not only relay the big facts but the important support (which is hard to memorize). They usually feel more compelled when labels and persons of credibility are thrown in, like teachers, doctors, astronauts, in the news, etc. I found also it's important not to push their dogmas too hard because it can get personal and offensive if you approach too aggressively. I know it is hard at times since the subject matter seems so pertinent and critical, but ease them in. Also, try asking them what they believe in and why to start things off. Speak from the same level and not from a pedestal, and make sure your intentions are not to impose your beliefs but rather to engage in an educational, though-provoking conversation.

Hope this helps!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:29 AM
link   
My wife is pretty good about it...so is my mother. However, they rarely bring up any conspiracy topics. They know I'll be off and running with it and just keep going and going.

My mother used to ask me a lot questions about UFOs and Aliens. She stopped after I told her the theory of reptilian aliens working with the government and military in underground bases and genetic manipulation and such. She believes in aliens and UFOs and that they visit Earth. But because of when and where she was brought up (1950s in small town Nebraska), she finds some things hard to swallow...namely reptilians conspiring with the government in underground bases.

9-11 conspiracy theories, however, were taboo for a few years. She didn't want to hear it. It was unpatriotic. She's much better about it today though. And every now and then she'll ask me about the Kennedy Assassination. Whenever she sees that something about assassination is on TV, she'll call and let me know about it.

My wife I think just humors me. She doesn't ask me anything. I usually just bring something up out of nowhere. But she doesn't think I'm crazy or anything. She knows I'm enthusiastic about it and enjoy it. So she just let's me do my thing. The only time I get in trouble with her about it is when she assigns me chores around the house but I forget to do them because my mind is wrapped up in whatever conspiracy topic I'm delving into. Oh, and she refuses to watch the movie JFK with me. She says it will put her to sleep.

My older brother, on the other hand, thinks I'm a certified nut. He just closes his eyes, shakes his head, and walks away. So I don't even bother with him.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

You better be sure that what you are talking about is correct in the first place. I once showed my mom a video of a UFO flying by the WTC as it was being hit, only to later learn that it was a bird.

So don't base your proof on crappy videos.

There are so many "conspiricies" that people believe in that just aren't real.

Just read some of the threads on this board. Pick out the ones you know aren't real and then imagine if someone tried to convince you of them. It wouldn't go over very well would it?

Sometimes it just might be better to keep quiet. Unless you are 100% certain. And that it affects other people.

Some of this stuff is just propaganda. And it does no one any good to be a part of it by spreading it.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:08 AM
link   
You have to have the "Ability" to reason and the wisdom to look outside the box.
Not everyone has or wants this ability.

We are in a world of the miopic. here and now.
Most people can't remember what they had for lunch yesterday, and don't want to know, or care.
Most people believe in coincidences,....beyond rediculous statistical odds.
(there are no coincidences)

When you force them to look outside of their protective veil, they often get in a panic , or deny or...they blow a fuse.

Or worse,...I thought one guy was going to have a breakdown when he actually realized what I was saying was true , but couldn't fit it in his brain.
...He blew a fuse, and shut down.

I did this in the workplace once, and it didn't have anything to do with a conspiracy theory, it happened to do with other info, before it happened and the response was the same ....brain couldn't handle it......They blew a 50 amp fuse.
I got the look.

These people are sheep, they will be led to the gas chambers, even IF you tell them what is behind the door.

You are going to have to come to the conclusion that MOST people can not handle the truth.
They can not handle even thinking about the truth, for fear that the world as they know it does not exist.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
reply to post by Acidtastic

Lol, that's a good one. How do they react to this one? Also, in the end do they engage in discussion with you.
Well,this is where the advantage of getting the first wisecrack in comes into play. You can judge their reaction,what do they say next,do they jokingly agree,or do they scoff. If they jokingly agreee,then they may well be an "alternative thinker" as I like to refer to "us" as. Poke them a little more. I ended up talking about my mates ufo sighting that he'd never told anyone in 20 years,cos he had no-one to tell. Another mate of mine I found out is a 9/11er and a moonlanding conspiracy fan. They keep it all in. Coerce it out of them in the comfortable guise of humour.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

I just talk about it openly from UFOs to weather wars etc sometimes I get that look of 'what the hell he's gone nuts' but the people close to me know my true self, the good thing is it gets the information into the open even if i get laughed at I just think ok people are entitled to their opinion.

However, I have found in some circumstances people have come back to me at a later date & brought the subjects up (after they have dug around for info themseleves) and taken things more seriously.

sty

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:17 AM
link   
one important thing - let them talk first, say what they believe about certain subject (make them talk, people enjoy to be asked about stuff) then, when they finish - if you are a good listener - you will be expected to have the right to also say your view. Never say "it is like this" or "you are wrong" but better say "o, my personal believe is this and this". Articulate the fact that it is your own persoal point of view, so your listener will not feel attacked by your point of view.
STY

top topics

<<   2 >>

join