It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin Has Died

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

At least George is in a better place now.
God bless your Soul George

Anybody saying this kind of stuff about George Carlin obviously doesn't know much about the man.

As George would say himself "I bet he's smiling down on us now"
NO you dummy, he's screaming up at us in extreme agony.

Originally posted by NovusOrdoMundi
This is pretty much ignoring the fact that George Carlin didn't believe in a God - period. Didn't matter who's God it was, he just didn't believe in one. Therefore, he did not believe any of the religions were credible.

Well, he did believe in "the big electron". Bwrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

[edit on 6/23/2008 by Yarcofin]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
YARCOFIN'S QUOTE Anybody saying this kind of stuff about George Carlin obviously doesn't know much about the man.

Well i take it you are a christian, good for you.
But didn't you just judge?

[edit on 23-6-2008 by TimeTracker]

[edit on 23-6-2008 by TimeTracker]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
Anybody saying this kind of stuff about George Carlin obviously doesn't know much about the man.

I actually posted that quote in its entirety in my second to last post. It's a perfect way to sum up his attitude on death and superstition.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:10 PM
link   

I'll miss him!

I'm old enough to remember some of his best lines he'll be missed

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Gonna miss his work. He had powers of observation like a child and thank his soul for that. He reminded people of what human beings are supposed to be, and random stuff like " did ya ever notice frozen peas are all the same size?

What a mind...

I raise my Buddy Jesus to you Geroge Carlin...A- Fu**ing men!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Majal

oh your being Sarcastic.
My bad.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
When I saw this thread I couldn't help but feel heartbroken to say the least. A true genius, George Carlin, you will be missed, rest in peace.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
As a spoken word performer, George Carlin is an inspiration to me. I find myself drawing many parallels in what he and I do. I speak the truth, unapologetically, the truth as I see it. And that, is what Carlin did.

This is a man I will miss terribly. It's like losing a battle buddy in the war to preserve the very things that makes us all American.

See you on the other side George.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
George Carlin was one of the greatest comedians. Especially with his "Seven Words" jokes.

He was also one of the few comedians that told the Government up yours. He will be missed.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
I recall a great line from George...
It was a great insult that I've been able to share with friends through the ages.

"Martha... "__or insert name of someone you know here__", "Your breath would knock a buzzard off a sh*t wagon!"

I howled the first time I heard it and it's still funny.

Rest in Peace George - and no I don't think his death is the result of some evil conspiracy - hell, everyone dies sometime...

bios

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I'm probably one of the few "believers" on here who loved and will miss George Carlin.....and that's a sad thing - the post put up by a believer early in the thread was in very poor taste and not representative of anything except a narrow unloving mind unable to see past religious dogma to the heart of a man.....I once worked at a bookstore in L.A. and George would call me in the mail order department to order books and send them as presents to his friends...books on how to be kind to others....he was a gentle man with a big heart and his comedy was superb....He railed against religion and why not? ....most religion has nothing to do with the God of love I serve....and Carlin is probably now talking with the Master right now and calling Him a tricky bastard....
If thats too un-pious for you Pharisees toughen up brothers and sisters - The world is a big ol place and "I have sheep you know not of"-------------- RIP G.C.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Majal

Made me smile! Thanks for that.

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Who's gonna help Bill and Ted now?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm more saddened by the fact that George lived to the age of 71 and was still performing his "irreverent comedy"...

In the 60s and 70s, Carlin was really on the fringe, and his innovative approach was entirely in step with the wave of leftism washing over the country. I thought he was hilarious BACK THEN.

However, as he grew older (much older), his caustic observations sounded like nothing so much as the malcontent rants of an angry old man. In the last decade, watching Carlin's snarling cable specials, I felt embarrassed for him -- he wasn't merely out of sync with the times, he was attacking his audience. The response, I couldn't help but notice, comprised of nervous chuckles and dubious murmurs rather than the gales of laughter Carlin evoked during his heyday.

In short, I think George Carlin overstayed his welcome. Too bad he didn't take Robert Klein with him.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity
However, as he grew older (much older), his caustic observations sounded like nothing so much as the malcontent rants of an angry old man. In the last decade, watching Carlin's snarling cable specials, I felt embarrassed for him -- he wasn't merely out of sync with the times, he was attacking his audience. The response, I couldn't help but notice, comprised of nervous chuckles and dubious murmurs rather than the gales of laughter Carlin evoked during his heyday.

In short, I think George Carlin overstayed his welcome. Too bad he didn't take Robert Klein with him.

Once again, I have to thank a poster for simply being himself. You are exactly what fuels Carlin's brand of "irreverent" comedy, and it appeals to so very many of us.

After reading your profile--and the dislikes section, in particular--I think I can say that I fully understand the source of your point of view, and welcome your continued contribution to this thread.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Majal]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I'm pretty sad about this. I heard last night, Just before the Coast to Coast AM show started, then George Knapp mentioned it in his opening News rundown.

Then, I read through this thread.
I knew he had a counterculture effect on the average person.
Making them re-think the things they took for granted.
But

I had no idea there were so many members HERE affected, one way or another by his life, and by his death. That's a pretty good thing.
We may disagree about things on this board, But look what a lot of us have discovered. We loved George or ge or..(never know when I'm finished spelling that name). Mr. Carlin has unified us in some ways here.

Even the people who claim to dislike him, seem to know enough about his comic philosophies to know WHY they disliked him. So George had his effect on those people too. Although they might be afraid to admit it.

Like Howard Sterns radio ratings from the not too distant past. The people who liked Howard, listened for short bursts of time "because they wanted to hear what he would say next". The people who HATED Howard, listened for longer EXTENDED periods of time, why? "because they wanted to hear what he would say next".

George was probably a lot like that to some. They needed to listen, so they would know why they just HAD TO despise him. They are also a minority.

Myself?

I was a fan from the first listen. My cousin had all of his vinyl. Which I transferred to Cassette, and listened, and listened. I could recite all of the routines at one time in my life. MY friends and I could hold entire conversations via George Carlin one liners.

He made me think. He made ALL OF US think.

About words:
Words are just words, letters strung together. There are no harmful words.
Only harmful people that turn them into verbal weapons of hatred.

About leaders:
The leaders? Whom are they leading, and why the hell are we following?

About religion:
A lift in your shoe, good, for when you need it. But let's not go nail them onto the native's feet.

About who to blame:
Tippy farted.

Anyway.

George, I raise my glass of Pepsi, and my bag of Doritos to YOU, my friend.
I'll miss you. You'll always be in my head.
You're gone, but your thoughts live on, in all of us.

Thank You George

OH, and by the way.
Tondelea Breckenridge says hello.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Yarcofin

LOL THANK YOU I COMPLETELY AGREE@!

-ChriS

[edit on 23-6-2008 by BlasteR]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by NotTooHappy

You look like a prime candidate?

-ChriS

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

I completely agree. His older shows were awesome but lately he turned into more of a political pundit than a comedian. Make me laugh- don't rant about politics.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
This news was quite a blow to the gut this afternoon. He was and is such a biding force for so many. At least he has been perserved in almost every medium technology has to offer, and in the hearts of everyone who's ever heard him. For good or for bad he made us think about what he had to say beyond a simple laugh. For me he was a comfort, that I could listen to his shows online and hear the audience laugh and know there are many people out there who get it, who understand how rediculous this world is, and how not everything, in fact very little should be taken all that seriously.

He is definately missed in my household, but his lessons will live on.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join