It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SitX and the one thing everybody will be looking for.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
Wotan said it before me: reload your own ammo.

A reloader bench is pretty quick and easy to set up, and I believe should be a part of any well-stocked workshop. Gunpowder is not extremely expensive and easy to store, just keep it dry (and non-burning
). Lead can be purchased in a myriad of forms, and I am seriously considering buying a few ingots to have on hand. It melts pretty easily and you can get bullet molds cheaply as well.

If you run out of gunpowder, the formula isn't all that hard. You might need to work a bit with the exact ratios of the ingredients, but that's overcomable. The only thing I know of that could not be somehow manufactured at home in a pinch would be the primers, and those are so cheap they can be stockpiled and stored along with the gunpowder.

Now if you're getting ready to fend off the Russian Military, just go ahead and surrender in advance, because ammo will become scarce and you simply can't stockpile enough to play Rambo for very long. But if you (like me) see guns as a tool to be used to survive, then set yourself a stocked reloading bench.

Oh, and remember that there are weapons that do not need ammunition. Arrows can be made out of straight sticks and feathers, and are as dangerous as any gun in the right hands.

So are throwing spears.

TheRedneck

Guns are pretty good, crossbow with a pull lever is our long
term weapon of choice.

We have a many hardened crossbow bolts that are meant for durability.

We picked stainless steel bolts with Molybdenum Alloy heads that can
punch a hole in the side of a old electric range and sustain no
visible damage to the heads.

We made them, as far as I know you can't buy them.

No Muzzle flash, not much sound, decent range, extra cables means
pretty long usability life.

Range is less than the bolts made of aluminum or other
light materials, but I went for durability.

We have some glow in the dark notches for them and will keep
them capped, but uncover when fired, and after a day in the light
they will be findable the next night.

We have guns as well when we don't care about our location being
known and it is life and death. Otherwise we plan on saving the ammo.

Our plan is hide as much as possible, and just make it thru it.

We have no intent of fighting anyone unless they offer no other option.

My 3 Co-survivors agreed on the crossbow option due to stealth
and likely service life.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
personally I think in most SHTF situations there will be very little shooting, and the most used weapon will probably be a hand gun because of its conceal ability.
I know some people have fantasies of running around with an AR 15 with a 100 round beta mag mowing down rouge bike gangs, I think those situations will be few and far between.
That being said there is a pressing need to stock up on ammo NOW.
If the .gov cant take our guns by legislation (thanks to the 2and ammend.)
they will try to make it a financial burden to own one. I can see huge ammo taxes imposed or the banning of imported ammo which will drive the price through the roof.
but it now and make every practice shot count.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by n0b0DY

It has already begun ....a friend of mine as already found this out last Dec. Good question even still..

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   
me? xanax.

seriously, though...ammo, food and water, and probably medicine...in that order.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Why would you want ammo, you guys are so bent on killing each other and yet moan at religions for being violent and evil, my ammo of choice will be 12V DC thanks.

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
you want to begin your stockpiling now..not later...begin with .22 long rifles.
Get common calibers...not something so powerful and exotic only a handful of special order places even carry it. Hence common military and civilian calibers. I have no use for .357 sig when .38 caliber and regular .357 is available. .45 ACP and 9mm are also very common.

.223 is very common..military designation is 5.56x 45 mm as is .308 Winchester... also known as 7.62x51mm. Proper shotgun ammo too.

You stockpile this stuff not for every fantastic conceivalbe firefight as seen on television...and movies..but for barter purposes....money...trade goods.
You would be surprised to find out how many people have firearms but only one or two boxes of shells.....if even that many. These people can get ready to the tune of thousands of dollars for tonights sports or movie event but not for thier survival. This became obvious in events like Hurricane Katrina. I keep picturing in my mind that photo of the guy floating a basket of Heinekin beers down the flooded street....important survival supplies....LOL LOL ...textbook. What was also obvious was the total uselessness of the state local and federal governments. Then when they did show up...they were to busy infighting politically to help the public. Then the first thing they wanted to do was take everyones firearm and leave the public at the mercy of the local wildlife. Typical textbook political intelligence. They were useless before the hurricane and then useless afterwords too. To busy playing the blame game to help the public.
Then they were so smart down in New Orleans that they voted these people back in office. Amazing!!

Reloading ..for those with the fortitude and will to learn the skill is a worthy endevour. It takes time to learn it to any degree of proficiency but it is worthwhile and gives you an option verses those who have no other recourses.
This is very similar to my neighbor after one of the hurricanes came through here....he did not have a generator ...but his woman and kids could order delivery pizzas 3 to 5 times a week. We were without electricity for about 8 days.
I ran him a line for his refrigerator from my generator since I knew he had children. He was stupid enough to listen to his wife and plug in his window airconditioner...and a very big 110 volt unit. He quickly overloaded my 4000 watt coleman generator. I unplugged him quickly and took back my chord. He thougth it was an injustice what I was doing to him. What a bonehead. I wont be giving him any electricity the next time either ..nor will I be trading him ammunition. THis dummy still has his woman order pizzas three to five times a week..and still has no generator.
These people are no different than the dumb a--ed government down in New Orleans...high maintenance.

Well you get the point ..those of you who can think....stock up now while you can still get it. Not necessarily for shoot outs but for barter if the SHTF.
Not just ammo but other supplies. Do so slowly and with dicipline.
My last purchase of recent was two bottles of Bacardi 151 Rum. Not for drinking but back up supplies. Also peroxide and rubbing alcohol...anti bacterial oinement in the double boxes. You dont break the bank doing it but just slowly and gradually get started. You rotate this stuff out as the expiration dates come due.
I do believe some of the posters are correct...they may not get rid of all the guns but they will make it difficult go get ammo by pricing it out of range...like gasoline.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Orangetom,

I heard that 151 expires every year. You should just send it to me and I will use it for industrial purposes.....

top topics

<< 1   >>

join