It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalism is just a fad.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Survivalism has now hit the UK's mainstream newspaper media. This is an article from todays Sunday Telegraph.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../earth/2008/06/29/eaoil129.xml

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliumboy
I will sit tight and do nothing.

Certainly your prerogative. If the survivalists are wrong? You'll be sitting pretty but... so will they. And if you're wrong? ...

The masses are asses.

I wonder why you thing that the majority of people are survivalists... They're a very small percentage of the people. So, actually, by NOT preparing, you are going with the masses. What did you say the masses were again?

No predicted event will ever occur in our timespace and that is a fact jack.

Wow. A "fact"? That is a HUGE prediction of yours. In our "timespace", huh?

Good luck to you. And I really mean that.

[edit on 29-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Survivalism is "just a fad" ?

Industrial progress and seemlingly unlimited economic growth are the real fads.

And one line posts.

posted on Sep, 15 2008 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I am a survivalist and have been for 35 years.

I wish everyone would store a 6 months food supply and other survival gear.

10% of survival is your supplies and yes they are very good for non survival.

What would you do if you became disabled for 6 months and unable to work.
lost your job.

And if there was a SitX about 60% of you would not survive any way.
you do not have the common sense or the training.

That is all right i will find your supplies as i search the devastated towns, cities and homes.

My survival supplies have got me through job layoffs and a period of disability till i got my SSD disability checks.

And yes i am a EX Mormon (excommunicated) but the Mormon companies that sell long term storable food still sell them to me at the church discount. (no one ever told them i had been excommunicated)

So everyone keep building your survival supplies i will thank you right after i bury your remains.

I have years of survival training from the military. civil defence.
Plus was a Vol Firefighter/EMT for many years. and you never know what you will find on a fire call-out.
So you have to have the survival mindset.

Remember if you keep a 6 months supply of food i only have to find one every six months to survive.
that will be easy street for me with what i can hunt and find that the non survivalist non living leave in the homes.

The group i am in plans to spend the first year doing a careful sweep of all the homes of the non living for any things we can use,
At 10 homes per day apiece looking for food, guns, ammo, and anything else we can use. we should be able to survive for a long time.
Any guns and ammo that we can not use we will destroy so that they can not be used against us.

Just look in your own homes even if you are not a survivalist and see how much canned goods you have.
then multiply that by 100 and how long could you survive.
that would only be 10 days of our searching.

Add all the wood working tools metal working equipment even batteries from cordless tools can be taken apart to build large battery banks.

Even gun stores with no guns left can give us a list of homes to check for gun collections. (gun sale records)

The local police department, evidence room. drugs for pain. guns, ammo.
maybe even full-auto weapons. gas and smoke grenades. sniper weapons,
arrest records. it would be nice to know the guy that walked into your camp was a bad guy.

Fire station, hose, pumps, chem defence gear, air tanks, gas masks, high pressure compressor.
A fire truck would make a good water truck.and they have a lot of good break-in tools to open securty building.
Plus many have a special key locker with keys for important building in town.

You have to think out of the box.

[edit on 15-9-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Survivalism has now hit the UK's mainstream newspaper media. This is an article from todays Sunday Telegraph.

www.telegraph.co.uk.../earth/2008/06/29/eaoil129.xml

Not really.
I wouldn't quite call that a link showing survivalism has gone mainstream Wotan. It just highlights the fact that the stockmarket and credit crunch has hit hard and capitalism is in the spotlight.

For me it would be when joe public is stockpiling food, weapons etc and preparing for the worse, hoping for the best but realising he has to rely on himself and close family.
For me, in a selfish kind of way, I hope this doesn't happen. Because then more peoples eyes will be opened to the potential for looting survivalists catches. Whereas right now. Many people expect only the government to be able to take care of them.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Unfortunately I think the title of this thread is correct.

It would seem in this day and age that living within your means, learning basic skills, saving for a rainy day, planning ahead and taking shame in dependence are all dead concepts in the face of getting what you want now even if you can't afford it, blaming those around you for what you do not have and simultaneously demanding they provide you with what you do not have, behaving as though you expect to live another 15 minutes then disappear from the Earth.

The ants have all made way for the grasshoppers at this point in time.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

I think misread the survivalist's mentality.

Does/can society and gov't guarantee your personal survival? No!

Will it/they even guarantee the survival and well-being of the majority of its citizens? Again, No!

WR, it falls on individuals and small family/tribal groups to provide for their own immediate survival needs because gov't's and societies are controlled a ruling class who primary concern is maintaining their own survival and control by sacrificing folks they see as lesser beings.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Id like to hear how some survivalists in Texas faired thus far. A fad or not it does have its benefits. Must be nice to have warm water and lights at night for the simple fact of having a genny and some stored up food instead of waiting on Feeble err FEMA to bring you what you need. Gotta love everyone that loves being and buying into the victim mentality. I choose ot get of my ass and do something about my own possible futures and being ready for anything is comforting to me.

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by crgintx

Yes I agree on this and nowhere have I suggested otherwise mate

posted on Sep, 16 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Unfortunately I think the title of this thread is correct.

It would seem in this day and age that living within your means, learning basic skills, saving for a rainy day, planning ahead and taking shame in dependence are all dead concepts in the face of getting what you want now even if you can't afford it, blaming those around you for what you do not have and simultaneously demanding they provide you with what you do not have, behaving as though you expect to live another 15 minutes then disappear from the Earth.

The ants have all made way for the grasshoppers at this point in time.

I think, in the eyes of what many in the 'mainstream' think, Survivalism may well be a fad to them. But for most of us in the survivalist world it most certainly isn't

posted on Sep, 20 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Even though I never heard the actual term "survivalist" used until the 1970's, the idea of being prepared for disasters is nothing new, and hardly what could remotely be described as a "fad". When one of the founders of Boy Scouting was asked about their motto a century ago, "Be prepared for what?" he replied "Why, any old thing".

Having actually been through hurricanes Betsy in 1965 and Camille in 1969 and their aftermaths, and several blizzards and ice storms in Colorado and New England in the years since then, and having watched the aftermath of Katrina and Ike, I and many others I have known always keep a decent supply of canned goods, water, wood (for emergency heat in the winter), and sufficient means for self defense against anyone with ill intentions (or desperate wildlife looking for high ground, like snakes, alligators, etc.).

This is not a new concept. The idea of being prepared for disaster is as old as mankind (think of the biblical tale of the Egyptians stockpiling wheat during seven years of plenty to prepare for seven years of famine.)

So be prepared for "Any old thing", but concentrate your efforts on the most likely scenarios, followed by the most likely possibilities, then last of all the least likely "nightmare" situations. But DO "Be Prepared". It will always serve you well.

I guarantee it. It will make your life easier when something does actually happen.

Just don't ruin your life overreacting by retreating to a cabin in the mountains armed to the teeth and waiting for Armageddon.........least likely to happen and most likely to rob you of life's joys unless you like solitary confinement and the wilderness life without other people.

...........Thoughts from a 50-something "survivalist" who didn't even know that's what he was until about 30 years ago...........

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join