It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalism is just a fad.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

I am not one who prepares in the 'hardcore' sense. More power to those who do.

I suppose my only answer to your post would be that countless nations have fallen apart in an atmosphere of martial law or violent pandamonium. It is not just a 'way-back-when' phenomenon; it happens in our present and will continue to in our future.

To assume, just because ones nation is powerful and stable, that it will never, in your lifetime, fall prey to social disorder seems more naive then to prepare, in my opinion.

Do I prepare for that worst case? No. If I could, maybe I would, but for now I am stuck in a delicate dance financially and it is not even an option.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Some come here to take a dump on the floor just to see who freaks.
I had no intention to dignify this thread with a post, but what was said by the person who agrees with the op pretty much summed up what most of us here are doing. Most are NOT going bankrupt buying out thyroid pills and Geiger counters. We are versed in living off the grid. A friend above said it best when he said we need to take RESPONSIBILITY for ourselves.

We garden, we are interested in DIY activities, to us this is just part of life.
I like to know how to do as many things on my own as I can. I am far from broke. I have a large stock pile of food, BUT it saves us money, we have the space, and it is everyday stuff that we rotate through monthly.

What many fail to understand, and I will help fix that, is sitx means different things to everyone. My sitx is the economy in it's downward spiral. The reality is my sitx is more real than you think. There is a chance that my job will be terminated and there are ZERO jobs in an area that I could feasibly drive to day to day. My skills that earn money are not in demand right now.

If this happens, there will be some strained lean times. We have 3 small children to raise and I am RESPONSIBLE for them.

Other realities include us living in an area where hurricanes do come through on occasion, as well as heavy blizzards in the winter.

How in God's name can you come here and make 2 threads bitching about how reasonable adults can waste their time in this "fad"? If you have a family and you don't look at your local situations and plan, you are risking some real hardship. Good luck with that.

edit to add, I notice how once again this is just a drive by thread starter.
The op doesn't come back after he wipes to see the results.

[edit on 22/6/08 by shadow watcher]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Survivalism is much more than a fad. Unless fads can continue for a hundred years or more.

Technically, I'm not a survivalist; I'm into self-sufficiency.

The difference is that I am not focused on a specific timetable, nor on using violence to provide for my people when the lights go out. Instead, I'm trying to insure the quality of our life by providing key ingredients myself, instead of relying on strangers.

I have enough food stockpiled that now we just rotate out the stuff that's nearing its "use by date." But increasingly, I'm processing my own food. Instead of relying on food processed by strangers in another state or country, who may or may not wash their hands before returning to work.

Here's how you can tell a sufficient-ist from a survivallist: Tomatoes.

A survivalist buys canned tomatoes or is trying to hoard seeds to get himself through the eclipse of civilization marked on the calendar on the wall of his bunker.

A sufficientist grows his own tomatoes because the ones in the grocery are basically TWO DOLLARS APIECE now, and were probably picked by an exploited worker who tainted them with botulism.

If econo-hell never comes, the survivalist has wasted a lot of money and energy, unless he just enjoys militaria and the chance to fantasize about the end of the world.

But for the sufficiency expert, even if econohell never comes, it doesn't bother him; he's actually probably relieved. In the meantime, his family eats a lot of farm fresh produce, learns to work together for everyone's benefit, and learns the importance of consequences.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
let me tell you something. Do you think that being self sufficient will keep you from the bug that will sweep the world, will it prepare you for invasion. becuase if the US collapses russia will step in ala " red dawn" if soviet troops or chinese troops see that you are living it up or even a deranged US government response. how can even a million rounds of 7.62 and 50 cal bullets will protect you against the near infinite resources of a superpower. You have no idea what you are preparing for. If you have a bugout vehicle do you really have a chance of getting to your retreat if all of the main roads have been sealed off by the national guard.what if you are on vacation 1000 miles away or even at work in downtown. there are atleast 1000 survivalist such as yourself fleeing town. what is to say one of them won't be tempted to use their guns to take what you have.

As for nuclear war you will have a very hard chance surviving on glowing carrots. Most survivalist retreats will be doomed. What is to say that all of your preparing won't save you from radiation poisoning. winds may be different in the future and may blow fallout right on your head.
TV shows such as Man vs wild and survivorman and movies like I am legend drivel.

I am not saying that there is no hope.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by heliumboy

Well here, let me give you something to put in your pocket.. just in case you need it on a rainy day. It will tell you where you are on this planet, it can tell you where you want to go, and better yet... if you put your mind (and a little thought) into it, it may even take you to your special place that nobody can find. Do you want to take a guess what this gift is sir? Now stand here, face the red arrow.... now turn to your right 180 degrees, come on now... everyone sing along...

Now that you are standing there, half-naked in the rain.... do you choose to follow the red arrow where you want to go, or do you even know? Do you have any idea what it even is that I gave you, Or would you rather I give you a GPS to find your way out of this mess?

It's a compass... and if you know how to use one, you can take a hike.

Feel free to try it sometime, any season, there is no rhyme or reason...
T Minus

[edit on 23-6-2008 by telemetry]

[edit on 23-6-2008 by telemetry]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by heliumboy
Even if every tom dick and harry began to buy up preps and guns I will sit tight and do nothing. why? The masses are asses. By buying preps you are following the herd. a smaller herd but netherless a herd. Nothing will happen this year or the next. No predicted event will ever occur in our timespace and that is a fact jack.

People aren't stocking supplies to follow a herd, they're buying supplies so they can feed themselves or their family if "something" were ever to happen. Maybe survivalism is a fad for some, but if the world continues to go on as it does it will become a full time occupation for many.

Get ready, just in case. You have been warned.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Cadbury]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Interesting, you appear to have just contradicted yourself.

Originally posted by heliumboySurvivalism is just a fad.

Even if every tom dick and harry began to buy up preps and guns I will sit tight and do nothing. why? The masses are asses. By buying preps you are following the herd. a smaller herd but netherless a herd. Nothing will happen this year or the next. No predicted event will ever occur in our timespace and that is a fact jack.

Bold emphasis mine, to point out your original reasoning why survivalism is jsut a fad.

now...

let me tell you something. Do you think that being self sufficient will keep you from the bug that will sweep the world, will it prepare you for invasion. becuase if the US collapses russia will step in ala " red dawn" if soviet troops or chinese troops see that you are living it up or even a deranged US government response. how can even a million rounds of 7.62 and 50 cal bullets will protect you against the near infinite resources of a superpower. You have no idea what you are preparing for. If you have a bugout vehicle do you really have a chance of getting to your retreat if all of the main roads have been sealed off by the national guard. what if you are on vacation 1000 miles away or even at work in downtown. there are atleast 1000 survivalist such as yourself fleeing town. what is to say one of them won't be tempted to use their guns to take what you have.

As for nuclear war you will have a very hard chance surviving on glowing carrots. Most survivalist retreats will be doomed. What is to say that all of your preparing won't save you from radiation poisoning. winds may be different in the future and may blow fallout right on your head.
TV shows such as Man vs wild and survivorman and movies like I am legend drivel.

Do you see the inconsistencies in your rhetoric?

First off you state as 'fact' that nothing will happen. Then after it's pointed out to you that most survivalists who do ALREADY follow a set standard of living in preparation for any unknown event - whether or not it happens - you change your tune to then claim that all of it is pointless, doom and gloom and we may aswell just back and cop it sweet.

I also italicised a part of your quote above, because I seriously doubt you even know what survivalist life is like - Living it up? WTH?

I've been doing a lot of reading up on places around the Australian bush that would cater for a self sufficient bug out area, with many things involved, and let me tell you, it all sounds far from 'living it up'.

I don't think you need a bug out spot, but I do think you need to take the bug out of your bonnet.

Not everything is going to be based on nuclear war or unimaginable viruses leaked by accident or on purpose. You need to stop watching the movies and look at whats going on around you, it's cheaper than renting the dvd and far more informative.

Or not, sit back, plug your xbox in, and prevail in your ignorance.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by spines

I both agree and precisely understand what you're saying. I think having some supplies stockpiled is a great idea
I've researched good first aid kits, compasses, handheld CB radios, dynamo torches and the like - just for the sake of having those types of things on-hand.

Given the current stability of my own country, that's all I feel is required as far as standby items are concerned.

I guess I take a passive-yet-vigilant stance to the whole thing rather than expect anything huge to happen just yet.

*snip* I'd also recommend a good radio scanner - countless times I've known what's going on before it reached the media. Just a good common sense thing to have.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Thankyou so much for your fact based knowledge. I will now sell all my gear and live a care free happy life, now that I know nothing will ever happen. Im just so glad to have a new friend who can see into the future and tell me that all the thousands of possible threats that face us americans and humans will never happen. Thanks, I will sleep better tonight.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:28 AM
link   
obviously your friend knows nothing of the future if he tells you theres only one future. The Source doesnt even know the future. Although many things are very probable doesnt make it written in stone.

Survival....Im thinking Darwin must have been paid by the illuminati. They propagate the fear that we all need to survive. Sad to think my fellow humans are all dooped into this fear.

All you need is water. We can go a month or so without food. after 3 days without food its easy. Fasting is great. I was at such peace and meditation. I'll be sitting in the forest becoming empty.

Too bad we arent smart enough to know love is far more important than survival of some vehicle body.

Im hoping for the collective consciousness to start shifting by then. For enough to see thru the veil to bring about teamwork. Teamwork is what will create survival, not the lies of the NWO to get us to kill each other. Every man for himself attitude.

Why you think the poor are suffering so much....they arent focused on enlightenment...too busy looking for food. Thats why im prepared to suffer without fear, not avoiding suffering.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by argentus

Great post you summed it up well a star for you.

We are country people and we live this way all the time. We love it and would not trade it for anything. Love my wood stove!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:17 AM
link   

let me tell you something. Do you think that being self sufficient will keep you from the bug that will sweep the world, will it prepare you for invasion. becuase if the US collapses russia will step in ala " red dawn" if soviet troops or chinese troops see that you are living it up or even a deranged US government response. how can even a million rounds of 7.62 and 50 cal bullets will protect you against the near infinite resources of a superpower. You have no idea what you are preparing for. If you have a bugout vehicle do you really have a chance of getting to your retreat if all of the main roads have been sealed off by the national guard.what if you are on vacation 1000 miles away or even at work in downtown. there are atleast 1000 survivalist such as yourself fleeing town. what is to say one of them won't be tempted to use their guns to take what you have.

Well, I wasnt going to reply to this Troll, but here goes .........

You have totally contradicted yourself on your original post for a starter about NOTHING will happen, then come back with the retort above.

You have no understanding of what Survivalism is do you?

It can mean lots of things to lots of people and probably no two Survivalists will tell you the same thing.

As one poster wrote, he is a Self-sufficientist or a good-lifer as we say in the UK..... that is a form of Survivalist. A Survivalist that hunkers down in his nuclear fallout shelter/bunker is often reffered to as a Retreatist. The Survivalist that just wants to get away from Society and Government is often called an Off-Gridder. A Survivalist who just wants to get back to nature and live off the land as our ancestors did is often called a Backwoodsman and the art is Bushcraft. Having enough money in the bank as a reserve to pay your mortgage if you should fall ill, is in a way a Survivalist. Hunters, Poachers, Anglers and Gardeners are if you like, practicing Survivalists. For most Survivalists that are on this forum, it is probably a combination of all of the above, we just lump everything into one word SURVIVALIST as there is no other name that springs to mind. Survivalism takes in many shapes, names and forms.

Now, depending on where you live on this vast, diverse and climatic planet, will influence what you see as YOUR 'POTENTIAL' SITUATION X. If you lived in The Maldives, your Sit X could be Tsunamis, Flooding and Global Warming. If you lived in the American mid-west, then it could probably be Tornadoes. If you lived on the US south and east coast or in the Caribbean then Hurricanes would be a factor. If you lived right next door to a ICBM missile silo or a US B1b Bomber base then obviously a Nuclear exchange could be your Situation X.

As for a ''Red Dawn'' scenario, I think you have been watching too many films.

Survival and Survivalism is NOT only about 'potential' Nuclear War and WW3 and its not about who has the biggest arsenal of weapons either.

If you were to drive from the Mexican border to the Canadian border on a driving holiday, wouldnt you take some basics with you, like a petrol can, tow rope, spare water, first aid kit etc etc? That is a form of Survivalism ....... but you can call it commonsense if that makes you feel better. Its commonsense that drives most Survivalists not fantasy-based scenarios, aka Zombie Outbreaks ........ Come on.

YOU have to look at what YOU perceive to be YOUR potential Situation X(s) and be realistic about it. Only then can you start to prepare yourself for whatever comes.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Better safe than sorry, dude!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
If survivalism is just a 'fad' as the OP puts it, why is it that people have been preparing for 'the worst' for quite a few years?
I personally know a gentleman who has kept stores of food and other such supplies 'just in case' something happens. He has kept these stores for well over thirty years now, and says constantly that he hopes nothing does happen, but is well prepared for the possiblity that something does happen which requires him to survive on his own for a while.
I personally have been coming round to the idea of having stores and supplies just in case there is a need to fend for myself.
A lady I know who is now in her sixties, keeps large stocks of tinned food, as she grew up at the end of the war years when food here was still rationed. As such, she keeps plenty of food in her cupboards, so that if a strike, war, famine, etc takes place, she can still enjoy the foods she likes.

It isn't just a fad, and to quote many other people here... it is common sense and practical. Not to mention it is always better to be safe, than to be sorry.

Damp_Nickers...

Posted annonymously as I cannot sign in on this computer for some reason.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Great post,

I tend to agree with what you said. I'm less and less worried about some catastrophic sitx at the moment. I think the most likely outcome will be the American economy tanking, spurring on a global depression. I've been modestly preparing for this.

- Getting all stocks and investments liquid
- Stocking up on staple foods like rice, pasta and canned goods
- Preparing a rural area to bug-out to if things got really bad in the city

I have a small piece of land on the ocean about an hour outside of my city, I'm going to try to convince my better half to let me invest in building a small cabin there, just something very basic so that we have somewhere to get away from any city chaos and crime that would result from extended economic collapse. I don't expect it to be permanent, but its nice to have options when the time comes.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Common sense should tell you that it pays to be prepared for a natural disaster or economic hard times . Myself I am gradually adding to a small stockpile of supplies that will serve me in the event of a natural disaster and I am expanding my garden when I can afford to do so . If I can grow enough produce I plan on getting a food drier .

While my garden wont be a true survivalist garden because I don't know hot to seed most fruit and veges my garden may still prevent me from starving some day .

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
It's a fad I've lived with over 25 years. From real survivalist mentality to just the guy who happens to have just about anything I need or thinks I need.

At times, my wife and kids thought it was strange. As the kids have grown up, they all have a sense of personal responsibility. Even they want their own radiological gear.

It's a comfort zone thing with me. I wouldn't trust anyone to tell how safe it was outside my house after any nuclear event. I just want to know.

Any number of situations that has electricity or food deliveries shut down for a couple of days to a few weeks, okay, I can handle that.

I never spent money on my stuff that would affect other aspects of my life or the family. You know, new Geiger counter or groceries this week. It just worked itself out.

If nothing happens, that's okay. When I die from old age, either the kids will take the stuff I have for themselves or there will be a very special estate sale.

If something does happen, I'm sure there will be something I really wish I would have bought when I could.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Garsh. I hope the Op is correct. And I wish there were more specifics about how things aren't sucking now and will get better. So the market problems, food shortages, oil costs, etc. is all propaganda for Outdoorsmen Outfitters Ltd.?
Well, this is one of the best advertising campaigns I've seen for survivalist retailers ever.
Whew. Glad that's cleared up. And here I was reading international press and watching the cost of oil all for nothing!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
So being prepared for the worst is a fad??? I'm really failing to see your rationale here. Well, to each his own.. at least I have comfort of mind in case anything DOES happen. Which it certainly WILL, whether natural or not.. # HAPPENS
I know I will be better off than everyone else who didn't store up several months supply of food, water, and of course, ammunition

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
T-Rex 1 : hey T-rex 2 shall we put a couple of these tricerotops aside for a rainy day?

T-Rex 2 : Nah after all we are the biggest and baddest thing on the planet we will just go out and get some more? right

T-Rex 1 : but what if we eat them all or something else happens?

T-Rex 2 : What could possibly happen? we are the biggest , meanest thing here and its all ours mwhahahahah

T-Rex 1 : Dude whats that big glowing ball in the sky and why is it getting larger?

T-Rex 2 : OH !@$!$@!

Thier are many things outside your sphere of experience and influence helium, can you honestly sit there and think that you got it all sussed? ask cro-magnum man if he had it all sussed? ask the roman empire or pompei if they had it all figured out. i bet most of them would say yes just like you appear to ..

i wonder were they all are now? Its better to live an hour as a tiger than a life time as an ignorant worm.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join