It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survivalism is just a fad.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Even if every tom dick and harry began to buy up preps and guns I will sit tight and do nothing. why? The masses are asses. By buying preps you are following the herd. a smaller herd but netherless a herd. Nothing will happen this year or the next. No predicted event will ever occur in our timespace and that is a fact jack.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliumboy
Even if every tom dick and harry began to buy up preps and guns I will sit tight and do nothing. why? The masses are asses. By buying preps you are following the herd. a smaller herd but netherless a herd. Nothing will happen this year or the next. No predicted event will ever occur in our timespace and that is a fact jack.

A fact hey ? good job your all OK sat on your butt doing nothing, means more goodies for us that are getting all prepped up.

When SITX goes down, don't come wailing and whining, because us survivalists will just skin ya and use you for bear bait.

Each to his own though.... but don't mock us as we are the ones who are going to be standing whilst many millions fall.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Well, I hope you find charity when the excrement splatters upon the air-flow device. Me, I am as prepared as I can be.

Best of luck to you, then.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
And what if your wrong? I have to admit im not preparing for a disaster and i would never dis someone who was. because if something happened i will be looking for that herd.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
man, if you cant look at the condition of the world today and see the BIG TRAIN coming down the tracks that is going to smash this society, than you are a sheeple.

ATS is a great forum, but you can tell there are a bunch of big brother trolls posting a bunch of crap here to keep the disinfo on top of the real stories!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Don't be a moron. Just because you don't think any thing will happen doesn't make it a fact. Its an opinion.

Don't like what were doing here then go away nobody will miss you. burying your head in the sand is following the heard. So please continue to do so.
One less person to wine and cry when they are proven wrong.

Mod Edit: Please Review the Following Link: Courtesy Is Mandatory

[edit on 22-6-2008 by Jbird]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
This thread reminds me of the classic saying:

"Better safe, than sorry."

I think it answers your complaints well enough!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
It is not fad. It is simple prudence. When 911 happened, it nearly devasted the markets. What if something happens again three fold the power? Survivalism is a good insurance policy.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
A thread with almost the same name exists: Thread

But because that was a question, and this is a statement; I will repost here as well. My point is just the same.

Originally posted by spines
I would say the majoirty of the survival community falls into two groups:

The Do'ers and The Talkers. I am a talker with do'er tendencies.

The Talkers are interested in the concept of survivalism and may do small, noncommital things to prepare. In my case it involved learning some basic first aid and getting a somewhat decent first aid/emergency kit for both my house and car.

I feel that the Talkers, and myself, make up decent portion of the community.

The Do'ers are the guys with the info. You have a question about gardens, security or water filtration? They have the answers. You have a question about tracking a small animal seventy-five miles through a river, all after building yourself a three story 'survival condo' complete with hot water and a mini-fridge? I am sure a few can help you out there too.

The point is, these guys know whats up and if anything should happen, from a power outage to SitX, they are prepared.

The smallest group is probably the after events/before dates type survivalist. They might stock up and then loose interest when the world doesn't come. And hey, they will be the star of the canned food drive that year.

To answer your question (about time!) is: We will probably see an increase in activity the closer 'doomsday' dates get. I don't believe that this makes survivalism a trend though (see long ass post up there).

No need in typing all that again.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
If I'm not mistaken a member of ATS was in Louisiana during the hurricanes
and was sitting on his couch with an MRE and his weather radio while watching his neighbors scurry around outside his window...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by heliumboy

Why have you started this thread again, you started the last one asking/saying the same thing?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I don't think there's any reason, at least for myself, to live in an underground bunker, or anything else that would adversely impact my life, but I also see no harm in being prepared. Maybe you have a notion of people buying GammaGoats or cases and cases of MREs that will sit dormant until they rot.

For us, survival preparedness hinges mostly on a lifestyle change, living simpler, striving toward self-sufficiency. It saves us money and if our economy takes a fall, it'll be a softer drop for us than those that are currently doing nothing. Survival isn't about acquiring "stuff". It's about acquiring skills, simplifying the way you live, thinking about how to respond to various situations, making preparations for things that have a probability of adversely affecting your life. Do I have weaponry and consider myself adept at using it? You dang skippy I do, but that's something that's been a part of my life since childhood.

Rotate your goods, keep your garden productive, know your excape routes, perhaps have a cache or two, develop skills. It doesn't make anyone LESSER of a person, and doesn't leave them STATIC, soooooooooo...... it can only make one better.

What will I do if the bad times don't come? Why........ nothing different.... just keep on smiling and hope the trend continues for future generations.

Survivalism is about taking responsibility for yourself and those you love. Simple as that.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by argentus]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

I've seen the "SitX" around here and there, but a search on google just tells me how to open .sitx files... What does this refer to...?

Thanks so much!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

Ah, sorry. The 'lingo' through me off alot when I first started reading these threads too.

This thread should tell you everything you need to know.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by spines

Well... I'm not exactly new at this, but somehow had managed to miss that. LOL! Thanks for clearing that up for me.

As far as expecting a SitX... Oh yeah. Level 23, even! (I know they say it only goes to 5, but... Heh.)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

When SITX goes down, don't come wailing and whining, because us survivalists will just skin ya and use you for bear bait.

Haha thats mean mannn

To the OP...This sums up my attitude to survival...Its better to have something and not need instead of needing something and not having it.

That applies to supplies but more importantly Knowledge.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Tell us that come this Fall when the bottom drops out from beneath your feet.. Oh, I forgot! There won't be any electricity or internet for you to do so. Best of luck to you and yours.

[edit on 6/22/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Following small herds?
I find your assumption utterly absurd. Prepared is my middle name. I was born this way. So I'm not 'following' anyone. Sharing, however, is a good thing. So if you're not going to share, what are you doing exactly?

[edit on 22-6-2008 by HimWhoHathAnEar]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Well said. You touch upon one of my sayings........ "you can't share it if you don't have it." To me, it sums up a bunch of things. It also infers that if you can't share, that you need to share with someone else, thus making a person a detriment.

We've stocked up. We'll continue to do so. Our water is taken care of indefinately. We grow crops in containers, in spite of the fact that we have land. Why? Hurricanes come, destroy everything. Our containers have wheels on them, salvaged from the dump. Storm comes, I roll the containers inside. Storm takes our house? We'll still eat.

This is part of why the original post kinda rubs at me....... taking care of you and yours shouldn't be construed as a fad. Here's a challenge for you HeliumBoy. Not a smackdown, just a friendly challenge. Find for me, an occupied sector of the world that is devoid of any possibility of natural disaster. See, it's not just for human induced disaster, or necessarily pertaining to one's conceptions of 2012. It's preservation of life.

Bah. enough prostheletizing. Cheers bud

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by heliumboy

Amen brother, I'm one that agrees with you! Survivalism seems to have been taken from Mormonism and morphed into a fad industry, selling everything from survival energy tabs to foldable solar panels (which of course are great for camping or similar activities).

I'm not sure how to explain the phenomena. Americans have probably been conditioned to the threat of nuclear conflict, which came about during the Cold War.

Oddly enough, most of the survivalism industry spawned during those years. I mean, look at all the 'personal' bomb shelter designs that came about during that era? Terrorism has given it a new set wings, with the same ideas such as personal bomb shelters, but you're still a thousand times more likely to die in a car accident than a terror attack.

So what constitutes a better survival preparation? Preparing for an unlikely event, or not driving anywhere, which is what a lot of us the west love to do.

I have no argument with natural disasters - they happen, and of course it's a good idea to have an action plan if you're in an area that is susceptible to that kind of thing.

I live in a part of Australia that never sees hurricanes/cyclones, snow storms or anything like that, so I guess it all depends on your location. And if a nuclear bomb did hit Sydney for instance, well there'd be an influx of Sydney-siders inland, but it wouldn't effect me too much.

How many people can spend large amounts of money on stuff they probably won't use, anyway. The typical family budget these days is stretched, and many people from the middle class are already turning to charity to take up the slack.

I still think it's a great idea to try and stock up on things as a part of everyday living, but I don't see the point in being all paramilitary about it and expecting martial law, disclosure, or anything nuts like that.

Common sense is still good to keep!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join