It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Call for Change Ignored, Levees Remain Patchy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Call for Change Ignored, Levees Remain Patchy

www.nytimes.com

CANTON, Mo. — The levees along the Mississippi River offer a patchwork of unpredictable protections. Some are tall and earthen, others aging and sandy, and many along its tributaries uncataloged by federal officials.

The levees are owned and maintained by all sorts of towns, agencies, even individual farmers, making the work in Iowa, Illinois and Missouri last week of gaming the flood — calculating where water levels would exceed the capacity of the protective walls — especially agonizing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Why doesn't this surprise me. More and more I get the impression that the Army Corp of Engineers is just plain incompetent.

The 1993 flood was supposed to be the 100 year flood and yest nothing was done.

Pathetic.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It would make far more sense for each state to take responsibility for its own property or border fronting the Mississippi. Iowa should be responsible for Iowa's levee system, and Iowa should make it work. Same for all of the other states and commonwealths.

Of course, that is just my opinion from north of the border.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Pellevoisin

I have to disagree... we need to have one uniform standard for any form of flood control along the Mississippi and it's feeders if we have any chance of making it work.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Why can't the states involved agree among themselves? Why this necessity to throw it into the hands of a federal authority that is as corrupt as it is ineffective and inefficient?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Oh come on this is America do you really expect that to happen???

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

I'm Canadian, and I hate federalism. I believe the states from the heartland of the USA are far better able to work out a solution to this problem among themselves rather than turning to your federal government which I believe is irredeemably corrupt, completely soul-less, and evil.

(Maybe I should tell you how I really feel...
)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   

I pretty much feel the same way about our government but when it comes to matters like the levies each state doing its own thing just won't work. Say Iowa spends far more on their levies than say Arkansas... what happens then? When it comes to matters like the Mississippi watershed, what happens there affects the whole country and should not be left up to a patch work system. Thats what we have now and it is a disaster.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The ACO is restrained financially and beauracratically. I don't know that even a cooperative effort along the river would make much difference. We probably shouldn't completely re-engineer the river system artificially. This is nature. Build a levee to height x and the next flood goes to height x+1...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by djerwulfe

That is so true... building anything on the old miss is a risky venture and people know it. Better to move the towns to higher ground away from the river and let it do what it wants... but that obviously ain't happening.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
People have conducted bountiful large-scale agriculture in flood-prone regions for a good while, but they knew that the only thing they could count on was that the water would be unpredictable.

I agree. Move homes/businesses out of floodplain and let the river be.
The expense from flood damage is partially a result of overconfidence in our ability to predict and minutely predict/influence nature.

I think blame is useless. Might as well blame God or something. And more interference with the "will" of the river Gods will only make more trouble. Maybe.

*changed "alrge-scale" to large-scale..

[edit on 23-6-2008 by djerwulfe]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The problem with the U.S. is we have two parties in political power, so when someone from one party makes a suggestion, even if it's the best suggestion ever made, people from the opposing party will pick it apart and refuse to support it just because of who it came from. You can imagine how much actually gets around here.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
That and the habit (especially noticable in 2001) when one party rolls back the policies of the previous administration, especially if they were of the other party.

Its a wonder this place works at all.

We need to take lessons from Italy, they can't manage a government worth crap and still the nation functions somehow.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Actually I have to agree with one body to take care of the levees, so all the levees along the major rives will be monitored and taken care to ensure proper planning and control of water flows.

Right now is nothing more than a cluster *F* of underfunded qick and weak fixes.

This is costing more money like that when the levees not protecting properties.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Yeah but since it seems the Army Corp of Engineers seems to have taken lessons from FEMA... well you know what I mean.
we need a weeping icon

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Well just wait a few more week after the mid nation flows and then the fall guy will take the blame, as usual, but then again he just will land another good job in the government for taking the fall.

You know our government they just recycle the trash around.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well brownie is gone so it won't be him.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
the problem was not about a single standard, as the Army Corps of Engineers enforced the guidelines...
the problem stems from Congress under-funding the needed monies that the Army Corps of Engineers requested/required

so the Engineers had to enter into a 'triage' and decide what ammount of monies were to be spent on what needs & where...
It seems that the Engineers apportioned the monies, and performed the upgrades & maintenance in the incorrect areas of attention
resulting in several levee breaches.

imho... if the Engineers were to build a 70' concrete dike on each bank of the river, for the full length of the river---

the Mississippi would eventually breach that dike---with even more devestating results

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well I guess our government priorities when it comes to the safety of America rest only on the war on terror.

So maybe if we call the flow waters an act of nature terrorism we may have some more money to protect people's property.

Still it all comes at the expenses of the tax payer.

But I believe that haliburton has more priority in Iraq to get funding that some people's property in our nation that are paying taxes anyway.

People doesn't get it, our elected government doesn't give a darn about them, their property and their well being.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

It used to be, and not so long ago either when the government at least attempted to be a positive force in our country, they didn't always succeed but they tried. Now a days it has become a den of vipers and thieves out to enrich the rich and screw the citizens whose bank book is not large enough to buy a politician.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join