It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bidding begins on 'entire life'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think this is a brilliant philosophy.

Many others may find this an ideal solution to many of their current problems and attitudes. A total clean sweep.

This man has obviously gone through some very life altering changes and has now woken up to the fact that there is more in life to offer him, as he can offer it, and is willing to take the plunge of going solo wherever and whenever he pleases.

No doubt, not everyone has a home to sell, but I'm sure that we all have something to allow for that first flight.

Regardless of how much money he has, it wont last forever, but he's on a path that can lead to downfall or success. Either of those is not the point. The point is that he is doing something for himself and is setting an example to others to show there are other ways to life.

An ex-pat who decided to make a clean break after splitting with his wife has so far attracted 70 bids for his "entire life".

Ian Usher, from Darlington, who emigrated to Australia six years ago, is selling his house, friends and job on internet auction site eBay.

The 44-year-old said he hoped to earn about £185,000 for his Perth lifestyle.

About five hours after bidding opened on Sunday, the highest offer was just over £314,000.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

I can't decide whether I think this is brave or cowardly. Maybe both, maybe neither.

From his website:

I met and married the best girl in the world. I loved her with all my heart, and she loved me back too. However, after over twelve years together and five years of fantastic married happiness, I was hit with a bolt from the blue....

I now live alone in a house that was being built for us to live in together. I still have all of our furniture that we bought together in our previous home. I still have the car we owned. I am still surrounded by all the memorabilia of our years together.

which is very understandably traumatizing. He then goes on:

So, after a year in this house I decided that it is time to sell it and move on. But what do I do with all of the furniture and other things I have here? I could sell it all one thing at a time in the local newspaper. I could send it all to auction. I could offer it to friends. I could put it all in storage.

But any option I can think of seems too time-consuming and emotionally draining, or doesn't fully address the issue. And so I have eventually come back to an idea my friend Bruce had many years ago.

So is this a brave way to face change, all at once? Or is it simply avoiding all the specific pains he may have to eventually reconcile? Should we embrace 'emotionally draining' experience, or avoid it?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Personally, I think it's very brave when you consider the attachments that we actually give to items in our lives. We've all got a favourite CD or DVD and there are those who much prefer to use one particular brand of item than any other. Some become so connected with these items that they become devastated when anything happens to the items.

Lucky for the insurance companies, I'm sure.

so to walk away from everything that you've held with some form of context in your life takes a very bold step. from personal experience, you find that you eventually forget some items you once had. The connection with them becomes lost over time and if you were ever to be reunited with them, there's a feeling of 'oh my, i forgot I had one of these'.

But on your journeys, you tend to collect more 'stuff' that will form part of your memories and your lifestyle.

This guy so wants a clean sweep that he's doing an immediate and fast break from everything. It's a good thing in my book. He will move on and experience parts of life he may never have considered before.

I hope he ends up doing something really good for the world from his future experiences.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

What a cute story! Instead of getting rid of things piecemeal, as we are normally used to seeing done, he sells the entire lot.
I'll bet someone would like the house and some of the stuff, but the job? and the friends?
Now that takes a special buyer!

Yes, in our lives we experience "deaths", some of us more, some less. I put off a "death" in my Life for years, until I could no longer do so, by choice. The only things I took with me were my self-respect and dignity. Well, actually a few more things, but not much more, and I truly didn't care about "things" I left behind.
I heard that said, too, about being "brave". I didn't consider that at all, as it was just something I had to do. It is true, that you think you can't be brave, but then when something happens, you find you are. I felt sorry sometimes for some people who said (with a hint of sadness) I was "brave", as if maybe they wanted to do something in their Life but were afraid to do it.

He will find that the value of what he left behind cannot begin to compare with the value of what he will gain.

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by desert

couldn't have said it better myself, desert.

And the good news is..

'Entire life' sold for £192,000

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If I was one of the friends who got sold I think I may be pissed. Somehow selling the friendship I give to someone else seems a bit crude. And what about his boss? How does that work?

top topics

join