It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Obama Think We're Stupid?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I was reading Obama's explanation for why he decided to reject public funding. He made it sound like he made the decision for some noble reason. In fact, he gave several reasons, each of them more unlikely than the previous.

Yet, nowhere in his explanation did he state the obvious, REAL REASON: That forgoing public funding will give him probably over $300 million in additional money to spend on the campaign, and therefore a much better chance of winning.

Why doesn't he just say this?

My question is this:

Do you think Obama is counting on most people just being too stupid or not caring, and so he feels like he can say whatever he wants and people will believe him? Is this why he's not going to just come out and say, "I'm not taking public money because I have a better chance to win by NOT taking it."

Who's he trying to fool, and more importantly, what does that say about how he looks at the people he IS trying to fool?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamie83

Do you think Obama is counting on most people just being too stupid or not caring, and so he feels like he can say whatever he wants and people will believe him?

Um, have you not noticed politics for the last five decades? The GOP and Bush administration spent 8 years in office with this one thought-process in mind.

Guess what? Most are too stupid!

Considering all of the cheating, lies, deception, and downright subversion by the last administration, it is in his presidency's best interest to gather as much funds as possible.

Remember, you are always missing some of the true facts when getting info from media outlets, so how can you base an accurate estimation on anything in washington?

AAC

[edit on 22-6-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation

Guess what? Most are too stupid!

Considering all of the cheating, lies, deception, and downright subversion by the last administration, it is in his presidency's best interest to gather as much funds as possible.

Remember, you are always missing some of the true facts when getting info from media outlets, so how can you base an accurate estimation on anything in washington?

Yes, it is obviously true that it is in Obama's best interest to have as much money as possible to spend. The question is why didn't he just say this?

Second, this has nothing to do with the media. This is about Obama's own words which he posted for his reason to reject public funding.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I didn't have any trouble understanding it at all, jamie. The reason is so the American people's voices (and dollars) can fund his campaign and have a better chance of drowning out the millions spent by Washington lobbyists, special interests, PACs and the Republican party to smear him. It was pretty clear to me. Of course it's so he can win. Why else would he do it?

Text of Obama Statement

And I have heard Obama say many times that the American people are smart. Here's a clip now.

To answer your questions:

Do you think Obama is counting on most people just being too stupid or not caring, and so he feels like he can say whatever he wants and people will believe him?

No.

Is this why he's not going to just come out and say, "I'm not taking public money because I have a better chance to win by NOT taking it."

I think he DID say that. Maybe not in your exact words, but certainly in his words. I got the meaning loud and clear. He wants more money so he can win. I'm not sure what the confusion is.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent HereticHe wants more money so he can win. I'm not sure what the confusion is.

There is no confusion, except perhaps on your complete fabrication of Obama's words. Obama never said he is rejecting public financing so he can raise more money. Not once.

He talked in platitudes once again. In case you aren't aware of the definition, here is is from wikipedia:

"A platitude is a trite, meaningless, bias or prosaic statement that is presented as if it were significant and original.

Compare that definition with how Obama began his explanation for why he backtracked and decided to reject public funding:

It's not an easy decision, and especially because I support a robust system of public financing of elections. But the public financing of presidential elections as it exists today is broken, and we face opponents who've become masters at gaming this broken system.

This is an example of another textbook platitude spoken by Barry O.

Cite the quote where he says he's rejecting public funding so he can spend more money. I read it again and I missed that part.

What he should have said, if he were being honest, would have been something like, "I have decided to reject public funding because I will be able to raise $200 to $300 million dollars more with private funding. Why should I settle for only spending $85 million when I can spend $400 million?"

Just saying that a little direct honesty might be refreshing from a man who *claims* to be against politics as usual.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Call me the master of the obvious but it seems to me he rejected public funding because he does not want to tie himself down by being indebted to the people. He wants to belong to special interests.
So much for change.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Call me the master of the obvious but it seems to me he rejected public funding because he does not want to tie himself down by being indebted to the people. He wants to belong to special interests.
So much for change.

I agree, and what's even more incredible is that he's now claiming the money he is getting IS public money because it's coming from the public contributing to him.

He's stacking lies on top of lies in an attempt to deceive people. The question I wonder about is if he really thinks we're all that dumb.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
And I have heard Obama say many times that the American people are smart. Here's a clip now.

This is funny. Playing a clip of Obama blowing smoke up our collective butts about how smart we are isn't evidence that he thinks we're really smart. It's more like evidence that he thinks we're stupid enough to believe anything he tells us.

This is like the thread where somebody cited Sandy Berger's aides saying that Berger didn't steal original documents as evidence he didn't steal original documents.

Good grief.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Obama's campaign somehow got ahold of my e-mail address (easy to do, mine has been on several sites).

He wrote (or his camp) a letter of response to dropping out of the public funding system:

Since we announced our decision not to accept taxpayer funds for the general election, tens of thousands of people like you have come forward to declare their independence from a broken system.

You'd have to be very impressionable and/or stupid to believe this. In essence, Obama is saying thousands have now come forward to declare independence from such a horrible system, one he made a pledge to in the first place. He just led the way, and low and behold, thousands are following his lead.

It's so easy to see through this BS and that it isn't true. It sounds like some bad marketing.

People that are not in business seem to have no clue about this. They just take your word for it or accept it literally.

For example: "I've been a Christian for 20 years", Obama says. many people take it literally and believe this.

Myself, knowing how business and marketing go, do not take this literarlly but instead question it because of recent and past associations and Muslim family etc.

In short, Obama cannot piss in the wind and tell me it's raining. I know how business works.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetxnet

In short, Obama cannot piss in the wind and tell me it's raining. I know how business works.

Dang, he is good!
It rained yesterday and it really looked like the real thing.

Obama should be forced to travel with a windmill by his podium. There is plenty of hot air and wind coming out of that person's mouth to power a city for a day.

Heck, I would vote for him if he could only harness that energy.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

!

Yes, it is obviously true that it is in Obama's best interest to have as much money as possible to spend. The question is why didn't he just say this?

Second, this has nothing to do with the media. This is about Obama's own words which he posted for his reason to reject public funding.

He's a politician!

The real question is why did he change his stance?

I suspect it is the desire to win is his motivating factor...

Jamie gets an A for Diligence!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

Jethate... Wouldn't a true righty be happy that tax payer money was not going towards
electing Barry O into the oval office?

These public funds can in turn go towards funding a good ten hours of war in Iraq!

top topics

join