It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it possible to survive a Nuclear bomb?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
In Indiana Jones we see Indy survive a Nuke by getting into a fridge. Is it possible to survive the blast this way? Here in California we don't have bunkers or basements so there would be nowhere to go, but we do have refrigerators. If the Nuke went off up in L.A what are some ways to survive the blast? or am I just Fruking screwed?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
You are frukin screwed mate - a fridge would just disintegrate along with your jedi body.

Edit - Vaporise not disintegrate

[edit on 22-6-2008 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Look on the bright side...KAPOW!!! lol - just kidding, but even if you did somehow survive the blast, the radiation would kill you later for sure!

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by jedimiller

Please stop.. I'm going to poo myself..

You just reminded me of this episode.... Fast forward to 4 minutes.. and Yes that IS an Atom bomb blocking the fridge..

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
When I was in the Coast Guard we did nuclear drills and part of them was learning to proper stance if a bomb went off near our ship (I was on a 327ft cutter) we were supposed to grab something solid like a column wrap our hands around it, and flex our knees in order to withstand the shock wave.

Well smart ass me asked if they had ever tried this and the reply was that they had trained some chimps to take this position upon command and placed them on an old ship within range of the shock wave at one of the bikini blasts.

I asked what happened.

I was told they all died of shock.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:12 AM
link   
How to maximize survival chances in a nuclear blast:

• Assume a comfortable position.
  • Bend over as far as possible.
  • Place head between your legs.
  • Pucker your lips.
  • Kiss your gluteous maximus goodbye.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hey redneck a better approach would be to break out the lawn chair, put on your sunglasses, apply a heavy sunscreen, open a beer, put some hot dogs and marshmallows on a stick and position yourself so that you are facing the blast and enjoy the show.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Yes there were a bunch of human tests, right here in the western U.S. Good thing the winds don't blow due east all over the midwest and eastern seaboa.....wait a second.

video.google.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
According to this film. If you cover your head with a paper, you'll survive the blast. Bert the turtle knows best.

Duck and Cover

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRedneck
How to maximize survival chances in a nuclear blast:

• Assume a comfortable position.
  • Bend over as far as possible.
  • Place head between your legs.
  • Pucker your lips.
  • Kiss your gluteous maximus goodbye.

TheRedneck

lol. that's a good list. but see I think there's a way to stop the nuke blast. Has anyone ever tried gold? a gold barrier would stop the blast for sure. It would cost too much, but it could save your life.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I like the fridge idea as it would offer some modicum of both blast and radiation protection (not much but still some!). Its true ability to save you would be in its robustness, its proximity to ground zero and your ability to get in it before the nuke goes off.

Here are some links concerning fallout shelters and nuclear war survival and American nuclear targets and fallout areas. (L.A looks very toasty
)

en.wikipedia.org...

www.bomb-shelter.net...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.radshelters4u.com...

www.oism.org... (free download of a Nuke Survival book)

www.survivalring.org...

www.survivalring.org...

www.survivalring.org...

Personal Disclosure: I'm liking the fridge as a desperate last chance personal Full body bunker and if it fails to work it can double as my coffin so either way I would be all rosy and cosy LOL!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   
GOLD BARS now??

What's wrong with the time tested and effective LEAD lining..?It's a hell of a lot cheaper and accessible.

I suppose if you're gonna go..go surrounded by last night's pizza leftovers and bling-bling

Stay crazy dude.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology
comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I found this A-bomb survivors testament (link here ) she was only 300 metres from the hypocenter of the explosion. Fantasticaly chilling reading!!!

Personal Disclosure: According to this website ( link here ) a 20Kt A-bomb's fireball is about 180 meters in diameter. As Hiroshima A-Bomb/Little boy was about 14Kt that gives a fireball about 110 to 130 metres across. Expletive deleted thats a little to close for comfort. Its amazing and miraculous she survived at all when On display are the stone steps of the Sumitomo Bank Building with the shadow of a vaporized person -- 42- year-old Mitsuno Ochi -- etched into them.(link here ) (Image here )

[edit on 23-6-2008 by OmegaLogos]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by grover

Hey redneck a better approach would be to break out the lawn chair, put on your sunglasses, apply a heavy sunscreen, open a beer, put some hot dogs and marshmallows on a stick and position yourself so that you are facing the blast and enjoy the show.

Hmmm, let's see... sunglasses = welding helmet. Sunscreen = 20 coats of lead based paint. Hot dogs and marshmallows will vaporize in about 0.01 seconds, so eat fast.

Seriously, back during the cold war, I was asked several times what I would do if a nuke was coming our way. Everyone else was talking about shelters and outrunning blasts, I always said I would jump in my car, drive as hard as I could toward ground zero, and as soon as I saw the missile, I would get out of my car and see a nuclear blast close up before I died.
Never got my chance to try that...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I felt it would be a good idea to do a comparison of 1950's fridges as compared to 21st century fridges and I think the comparisons would be as follows...

1950's fridge Vs 21st century fridge

Construction: very robustly solid and heavy Vs robustly solid and light
added protection: white lead based paint Vs white non lead based paint
Fridge capacity: Medium (crouching) Vs Large (standing)
Creature comforts. Food inside fridge Vs Food inside fridge plus Ice
_____________________________________dispensor plus fridge continues
_____________________________________to work without electricity after
_____________________________________Nukes EM pulse and possible
_____________________________________destruction of available
_____________________________________power sources. Also receive
_____________________________________last minute webcasts or send
_____________________________________last minute emails ect before
_____________________________________Nuke explodes!!!

Personal Disclosure: I am interested in which sort of fridge you would prefer to try and survive the Nuke explosion in and why you would make such a choice.
I'd definately go the 21st century Fridge as it wins hands down (can't beat the creature comforts) although the massive weight, very robust construction and lead based paints of the 1950's fridge all go to blast
and radiation protection which the 21st Century fridges sorely lack. I'm reminded of the Simpsons episode where Springfield was nuked and only the Simpsons house survives intact with the family unmutated due to all the lead based paints protecting them. LOL!

Edited to fix comparisons list.
Edited to fix Links.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:56 PM
link   
You might have survived in the fridge if they had kept the freon instead of replacing it with that other stuff!

Actually, it is possible to survive a nuclear blast, proximity is obviously a factor.

Weapon Yield

Ivan - The largest bomb

Related ATS Thread

Survival Docs

Duck and Cover!

join