It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Human dilemma...(anxiety)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I think anxiety is associated with creativity. When you're in a situation of anxiety, you can of course run away from it, and that's certainly not constructive; or you can take a few pills to get you over it, or whatever else you may take.

You could meditate. But I think none of those things, including meditation, which I happen to believe in -- none of those paths lead you to creative activity. What anxiety means is it's as though the world is knocking at your door, and you need to create, you need to make something, you need to do something. I think anxiety, for people who have found their own heart and their own souls, for them it is a stimulus toward creativity, toward courage. It's what makes us human beings. Much of our anxiety comes from the basic human dilemma of being mortal, of ultimately having to confront our own demise.

We are conscious of our own selves, our own tasks, and also we know we're going to die. Man is the only creature -- men, women, and children sometimes even, are the only creatures who can be aware of their death, and out of that comes normal anxiety. When I let myself feel that, then I apply myself to new ideas. the creative interchange of human personality rests upon the fact that we know we're going to die. Of that the animals and the grass and so on know nothing. But our knowledge of our death is what gives us a normal anxiety that says to us, "Make the most of these years you are alive." And that's what I've tried to do.

We try to avoid anxiety by getting rich, by making a hundred thousand dollars when we're twenty-one years of age, by becoming millionaires. Now none of those things lead to the joy, the creativity that I'm talking about. One can own the world and still be without the inner sense of pleasure, of joy, of courage, of creation. I think our society is in the midst of a vast change.
well thats all I've got to say for now... Take what you will from it...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SpiritBlaze

Hmm. Curious. I enjoyed reading this, but i believe that you're describing something other than anxiety.

Anxiety:
distress or uneasiness of mind caused by fear of danger or misfortune: He felt anxiety about the possible loss of his job.
Source

Anxiety, to me, is a feeling of helplessness. We all feel it. Its an anticipation of the unknown- with a pessimistic expectation for the worst case scenario.

I dont think its possible to run away from anxiety.
Unless of course you take pills

I also have noticed what i see as signs of anxiety in my Basset Hound when i leave for an extended period of time, or when there is a powerful thunder storm.

I believe that for most humans, feelings of anxiety stem from lack of money. For us, atleast in this country, money is the solution to every problem you face as an adult.

Getting a divorce?
Throw money at it. The more money = more women. (twisted, but true for some)

Lost your job?
Well if you were rich, it wouldnt matter.

I believe that there are also animals that recognize their own impending death.

You see elephant graveyards
Dogs who curl up on their favorite spots to pass away

and most every animal has a natural instinct to avoid anythign dangerous that may threaten their life.

I believe what you're describing is "longing"

strong, persistent desire or craving, esp. for something unattainable or distant: filled with longing for home.

websters

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:49 AM
link   
I recommend that my patients smoke marijuana (13%THC) when anxious - to combat your natural deficiencies.

I'll be prescribing it starting in September. They are cannabinoid deficient, which can lead to unusually high stress and anxiety levels - which are catalysts for symptoms that can have damaging physiological effects, in the negative.

Stress and Anxiety aren't symptoms.... Nor is is feces a "symptom" of the Human condition.

I find that the standard SSRI/benzodiazapine combo never works, I would recommend placebo in place of either of these two drugs... or you come to Canada where doctors are allowed to Heal their patients legally.

I have 700 patients, many of which are no longer at risk of suicidal or homicidal behaviour because I gradually phased our the standard columbine cocktail with medicinal marijuana that comes from a source where I, as a doctor, can regulate the THC/CBD ratios of each plant in accordance with my patients requirements.
That is what it means to be free.

As a doctor; I find that Cannabinoid use causes anxiety, primarily in those of us whom are deficient of it...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
So.....you are condoning the use of an illegal substance?
I'll be the first to say i think weed being illegal is silly - not because i smoke it though....but if you are a real doctor, then i must say i've never heard of a doctor *legall* being allowed to prescribe weed for human use to combat anxiety.............

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Andrew E. Wiggin
i must say i've never heard of a doctor *legall* being allowed to prescribe weed for human use to combat anxiety.............

As opposed to what, Being able to prescribe it to animals?
I've never heard of marijuana being used to treat anxiety in animals....

I can't prescribe it yet, but I do ensure that the patients for whom I recommend it are registered with the College of Pharmacists and Physicians - just in case they are caught with the medication. This is a temporary legal measure to protect my patients from prosecution. It works, because the law allows it work.

Soon, My patients will actually be able to carry a Permit/prescription, which is unfortunately not available yet. I do sign doctor's notes and recommend that they be carried with or kept in the vicinity of the medicine.

The Federal Government even gave me some scales to give to my patients that tabulate the amounts used and cross-reference with the amounts logged by other patients of various illnesses.

This is how we intend to work out the beginnings of a "standardized" dosage regime for each person, respective to their illness, body weight, sex age, etc...

The scales are volountary and as added incentive, they have a list of numbers for the Police to call when they find it on you and try to charge you with drug trafficking or possession etc.

top topics

join