It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the government track me through ATS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Yea you are going to have to use an example, I guess of a lot of this posts have came about and peoples minds have been tainted with this over and over, so they won't read everything to the T in the post, they will just take this as another the government is watching ATS.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALightinDarkness
I think people are thinking way to much of themselves when they consider this sort of question. Why would the government care what you post on ATS?

It has nothing to do with people having big ego's and whatnot.

It only has to do with the subject matter you get into.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

I made a vb6 widget a few years back that pulled your computers name, the name of the user, the ip, and the mac address into a little strtext box display for viewing. I had a guy query how he could block some one using his server with a login widget. I explained he could ban an ip but the client still could login from another ip. All he had to do was implement my widget to get the mac and ban by ip and mac as well as name(s).

vbscript can get the same info. Thats why vbscript is recommended not to be allowed while browsing. Most firewalls prevent scripts from running on your pc but there is still a way in not discussed in the open forums. server side to client.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:58 PM
link   

This hypothetical requires their to be a massive government operations unit stalking ATS that goes across all military divisions. That way when someone found some "shocking government secret" revealed they can call up the Army or Air Force on the phone (I hope they use those red phones like you see in the movies) to send out the black helicopters. I'm sorry, nothing posted on ATS is worth that kind of time or money. I just read a post where someone thinks cotton blowing in the wind is a sign of "Elohim" spacecraft coming to get him. I sincerely doubt the military base close to him cares.

In the rare, rare event there was something of actual substance posted, the military still wouldn't care. People have been going to the media with videos for years talking about strange lights around military bases.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Of course they can track you. And here is my question to the OP. AND??? Who cares? If they want to track me, go ahead. Do it. If they come to my house, maybe I'll invite them into some fresh tea or coffee. I'm not afraid of them. Why should I? I have nothing to hide at all. All my records are crystal clean. And who knows? Maybe we have some common friends in one of the government agencies.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
It only has to do with the subject matter you get into.

I highly doubt the government cares enough about the thousands of internet sleuths who think they are uncovering/exposing the government on ATS. Again, if you anyone actually had anything of real value they would be bribed or no longer breathing.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ALightinDarkness

But that's not the point here.
Assume for a second, for whatever their reason, that they decide to try to identify a poster. Can they do it, and if you think they can, then how specifically?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Not through ATS. They would need to contact the ISP in question and attempt to track it. Depending on the context, they also probably need a court order to force the ISP to hand over the information. But again, there is nothing on ATS that would be worth the time or money.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by ALightinDarkness]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Your login is stored at ATS, which is automatically giving an IP to your user login. IP address can be tracked back to the provider, then if the provider, they just need to search for the user who is using that IP address. Even if your IP is changing daily, like my IP which is doing this, they can track back you within minutes, because your provider's system is holding these data, regardless that you're using already a new IP address or not.

But honestly. Why do you care about it? If they comes, welcome them with some cookies and milk.

Otherwise, there are more here at ATS that you imagine. But remember: not all fed are evil fed.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I highly doubt the government cares enough about the thousands of internet sleuths who think they are uncovering/exposing the government on ATS.

Doubt it all you like, that doesn't make it any less true

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Lets do an experiment to find out.
How about you post a string of specific words related to terrorism ie: b_mb, bl_w up, k_ll (get the picture?) and then throw in a certain black presidential candidate's name and let me know what happens ok?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
A) Damn the Torpedos Full Speed ahead and say what's on your mind... So far freedom of speech is not a crime...

Exactly!

Never be afraid to stand up to a bully...be it person, corporation, or government

speak your mind, educate your fellow citizen, and deny ignorance

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by MrdDstrbr

Ok, give 1 example. 1 single example of where someone on ATS has been tracked by the government due to their amazing knowledge of government secrets.

And no, I don't mean those with mental illness on ATS who are paranoid schizophrenics with delusions of grandeur. Thats called mental illness, not proof.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ObamaMomma

What does this have to do with Obama????

Those keywords will trigger the system alone. Think about water plants, mines, sporting events, etc. anywhere that holds a lot of people. I just can't believe what you just said, WOW.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
The fact is everything goes thorugh an NSA router at the At&T facility in San Fransisco, as has been discussed on ATS before. They can find you if they want and until a couple of weeks ago you didn''t even have Habeas Corpus rights if they wanted to deem you a terrorist or an enemy combatant.

Hopefully we will turn the page on January 20, 2009.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

And no, I don't mean those with mental illness on ATS who are paranoid schizophrenics with delusions of grandeur. Thats called mental illness, not proof.

Hahaha. Nice insult. Well done.

It has nothing to do with ego or delusions of grandeur though. It only has to do with the subject matter you get into.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

Yes, also this has been recently updated to include two more sites which I do not know the current location. Just think of it like on the telephone system you say key words it is going to trigger an NSA computer.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Anonymity comes in the form of your neighbor's wireless router.

-not a one line post-

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

It is.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by elevatedone]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   

reply to post by MrdDstrbr

Ok, give 1 example. 1 single example of where someone on ATS has been tracked by the government due to their amazing knowledge of government secrets.

An example would be nice but it doesn't have to be just ATS.
There is one example I can think of but my evidence is anecdotal, I do not know the exact details of what happened. There was a website (no need to name it) which was a forum for people who were in pain for one reason or another and would discuss different pain medications and all the websites, US or international, where they could buy them. This is a few years back when there were hundreds of dodgy sites selling meds. As you can imagine the forum became a magnet for people with addictions to pain killers. When the government started cracking down on these pharmacies they went aggressively after the owners and members of that forum and closed down hundreds of pharmacies, seized loads of imported meds, and arrested anyone they could. And from what I gather they, in that case, were able to track down the names of the members. The site is now back up under a different name and much different T&Cs.
I only bring this up as an example of what they can do if the posts on any forum break the law, which is not the case at ATS.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Thanks for using that example. To all readers he is saying SITES LIKE ATS, not particularly ATS. Please read the OP.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join