It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the government track me through ATS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Can the government track you through ATS?

Why should they worry with or about ATS?

1s and 0s form patterns, no matter if they be text, audio, video, or any combination of the above. Searchable and defineable patterns none-the-less. This correlates to that and so on...

The "info" that rolls through your PC and or Router would seem a much better overall perspective and defining aspect of YOU than simply "monitoring" your post on a message board. (?)

The fact of the matter is that those 1s and 0s eminating from your Modem, Router, and or Connection would seem a much better way to gauge You as an individual. (?)

Sure... there are threads/posts on ATS which actually garner response(s) from .gov, etc. IP's but those are truly in the minority given the grand scheme/scale of things.

Me? I'd be Moar concerned with the last minute and sudden tag-along inclusion of this in the most Sure to pass Housing Bill!? Housing?

[edit on 22-6-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:32 AM
link   
The governement doesnt need to "track" you through ATS.

They dont need to infiltrate ATS,

They can track you anywhere on the internet, via your cookies, via your ISP, via advertisement data center records.

Doesnt matter if you just browse ebay or just yahoo news. It just doesnt matter.

If they want to know more about you, they dont HAVE to contact ATS, they just need to sopena the host provider and let them do the dirty work.

Infiltration isnt an option imo.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

When these discussions come about people immediately assume ATS... The OP said Sites like ATS. Of course they only come when something good comes about. It would be a waste of resources to devote a whole room to certain sites. That is why there are computer systems out there that just lurk the internet for keywords.

Look at the google bot, it crawls sites all day long, indexing them. But, do we really know where else it is going. I can bet it gets analyzed somewhere by a computer system for the government, then if it is important enough, human interaction comes into place.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
The NSA has information repositories all over the world (5 i know of) and they have a list...
that list of word slang whatever gets your communication intercepted
Read the EULA included with you copy of Windows
cell phones are NOT secure
and the Non Obvious Relational Association (NORA) database that builds a file on you your contacts where you surf who you call ad infinitum is supported by all the agencies you come in contact with...
do I care .....Not really .......what can I do about it .........not much ....Is It Fact Of The big brother environment ......yes ....
ATS is a privately owner entity They log your IP are they evil.... no is the government watching of course

it would surprise me if a sociologist didn't post here.....write a paper and get a passing grade... is big bother in here... yes ...they just gave you a star ..flagged your thread signed up as a friend and agreed with your last post and laughed at your joke !!!!
your isp logs your net use where you go what you down every aspect
your phone company log your calls
your doctor enters your med info on his database
and pharmacist knows alot as well

what can you do about......drop out of society get a sling shot and eat a squirrel.

Have A lovely day and I hope I filled you with joy
*edit to add the word with*

[edit on 22-6-2008 by The Utopian Penguin]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Utopian Penguin
do I care .....Not really .......what can I do about it .........not much ....Is It Fact Of The big brother environment ......yes ....

Could you or someone else please explain to me, cause I really don't know, why TOR and Privoxy wouldn't help. Have I been going nuts trying to set them up on my computer for nothing?

[edit on 22-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5 but I know that the text you type does not just magically appear on ATS without passing through your ISP,

If it did they would not be able to 'ban' or 'block' your IP address if you have been bad

It would seem to me that the best course of action is to assume EVERYTHING you say or write is being recorded and logged somewhere... even if only on huge computers that filter for key word combos...

Once you have assumed that... you have three options...

A) Damn the Torpedos Full Speed ahead and say what's on your mind... So far freedom of speech is not a crime (yet)

B) Keep your opinions to yourself and fear no evil...

C) Go to a library and make anonymous posts

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Your ISP has to have your IP address to serve information back and forth from your computer, therefore your ISP will still have a log of your internet usage. I am not sure how those products work, but an educated guess would be that they block the server hosting the site your going to from attaining your IP, not your ISP.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
If want anonymity while surfing you go to a internet cafe without a surveillance system don't log in to any account associated to you and never go back to the same one twice.....and if there after you already because you weren't born in a barn didn't go to school down load the Paris Hilton video 3 yrs ago you are known already they can find you if they want by triangulating your cell phone ....the dentist is going to chip you when they fill that sudden filling you didn't need and put bugs in the washroom in the mall you like to shop at
call your ISP and ask for your download stats for last month and this month and how much you have left.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
C) Go to a library and make anonymous posts

Trust me, the library is no more anonomous than any internet cafe.

You are no more secure than just posting at home.

Or you could post from your freinds house if you need some real proxy, but be sure that he/she would rollover on you if the right pressure is applied.

'snickers'... the internet is no more secure than the telephone or public broadcast tv.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by smirkley]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

thanks for making me laugh

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

This is a partial description of TOR from Wikipedia:

Overview

Aiming to protect its users against traffic analysis attacks, volunteers operate an overlay network of onion routers that enable anonymous outgoing connections and anonymous "hidden" services.
[edit]Anonymous outgoing connections

Users of the Tor network run an onion proxy on their machine. This software connects out to Tor, periodically negotiating a virtual circuit through the Tor network. Tor employs cryptography in a layered manner (hence the onion analogy), ensuring perfect forward secrecy between routers. At the same time, the onion proxy software presents a SOCKS interface to its clients. SOCKS-aware applications may be pointed at Tor, which then multiplexes the traffic through a Tor virtual circuit.
Once inside the Tor network, the traffic is sent from router to router, ultimately reaching an exit node at which point the cleartext packet is available and is forwarded on to its original destination. Viewed from the destination, the traffic appears to originate at the Tor exit node.
Tor's application independence sets it apart from most other anonymity networks: it works at the TCP stream level. Applications commonly anonymised using Tor include IRC, instant messaging and browsing the Web. When browsing the Web, Tor is often coupled with Privoxy – a filtering proxy server – that aims to add privacy at the application layer.
Not all Tor nodes are equal. Tor directory authorities describe nodes with several flags: DIR, Running, Guard, Authority, Fast, Exit, Stable, Valid, V2Dir, BadExit, BadDirectory. To start with, there are Tor Authority servers which are usually Stable but do not act as an Exit Node. There are Tor Exit Nodes, and the ones with Stable IP addresses announce themselves as such.[edit]Anonymous outgoing connections

Users of the Tor network run an onion proxy on their machine. This software connects out to Tor, periodically negotiating a virtual circuit through the Tor network. Tor employs cryptography in a layered manner (hence the onion analogy), ensuring perfect forward secrecy between routers. At the same time, the onion proxy software presents a SOCKS interface to its clients. SOCKS-aware applications may be pointed at Tor, which then multiplexes the traffic through a Tor virtual circuit.
Once inside the Tor network, the traffic is sent from router to router, ultimately reaching an exit node at which point the cleartext packet is available and is forwarded on to its original destination. Viewed from the destination, the traffic appears to originate at the Tor exit node.
Tor's application independence sets it apart from most other anonymity networks: it works at the TCP stream level. Applications commonly anonymised using Tor include IRC, instant messaging and browsing the Web. When browsing the Web, Tor is often coupled with Privoxy – a filtering proxy server – that aims to add privacy at the application layer.
Not all Tor nodes are equal. Tor directory authorities describe nodes with several flags: DIR, Running, Guard, Authority, Fast, Exit, Stable, Valid, V2Dir, BadExit, BadDirectory. To start with, there are Tor Authority servers which are usually Stable but do not act as an Exit Node. There are Tor Exit Nodes, and the ones with Stable IP addresses announce themselves as such.
Wikipidia

This is way above my little monkey brain, I would just like to know if I should even bother with it.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
your isp will know you were using tor if you use tor and log on to your(any) account they will know its you or someone with your password
and if you try to anon post something sick here it won't be posted the Mods view each post personally before they are posted and because its tor they may not post at all you post here you own that post ....

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I might be incorrect, but it sounds to me like it does exactly what I stated above. It masks your IP from the destination but not from your ISP. So information goes from your computer, into the ISP then through the TOR network to an exit node, then on to its destination. The information coming back come from the destination goes through the TOR network, out an exit node to your ISP, then to your home machine. Your stuff might be encrypted as is goes through your ISP, but the people your talking about have the best decryption stuff on the planet at their disposal, so its not going to hide much from them. Anyway you slice it, if the ISP does not know your IP then it does not know who to return the served pages back to.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

So basically, if I understand everybody correctly, there is no way on god's green earth to truly be anonymous on the internet.
And if I understand 12m8keall2c, we are more vulnerable through our surfing habits rather than any individual post.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
reply to post by The Utopian Penguin

So basically, if I understand everybody correctly, there is no way on god's green earth to truly be anonymous on the internet.
And if I understand 12m8keall2c, we are more vulnerable through our surfing habits rather than any individual post.

if you want to disclose something here go the internet cafe route.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
if you want anonymity do as i said go in the forest buy a slingshot and eat a squirrel

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Their satellites can take a 3-d image of your hard-drive from space. This image can then be fed to their quantum artificial intelligence array which will parse the data, categorize, and flag anything illegal or that may be considered a threat. This information is documented and there are files on every person.

Think of it as high-resolution remote magnetic resonance imaging. Everything is contained within the Earth's EM field. This allows for MRI's of everything.

Of course, you would really have to be some extremely serious threat for them to act on such information. There's not too many humans with the resources and information to be considered a threat to the real g'ment.

The publically visible g'ment, on the other hand, is really only concerned about scaring everyone into not doing anything besides eat, work, sleep, and poo. If you are physically active in anyway against the visible g'ment (besides posting your rants on message boards) then you are flagged at that level. That's the level most harassment comes from that people have documented.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:09 AM
link   
Not anymore, and I think that even internet café’s require an ID now. If there is really something that is sensitive you had to post, it would probably be something that ATS would remove anyway. This has happened in the past where someone posted something of a real conspiratorial nature, that crossed the bounds of the law, and it was removed. In that instance it was photos of undercover agents photographing people at a protest. When it occurred the government took down one site remotely then seized their servers, and ATS removed it before the same thing happened to them.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Cons Piracy

remote viewers are watching you type this and psychics has foretold the time woke up this morning...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Not anymore, and I think that even internet café’s require an ID now. If there is really something that is sensitive you had to post, it would probably be something that ATS would remove anyway. This has happened in the past where someone posted something of a real conspiratorial nature, that crossed the bounds of the law, and it was removed. In that instance it was photos of undercover agents photographing people at a protest. When it occurred the government took down one site remotely then seized their servers, and ATS removed it before the same thing happened to them.

i saw that event or one similar to it on live leak and on the 6 o clock news
in my email and on C2C as well(i think)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join