It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can the government track me through ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I have always wondered to what degree the government, if it so wishes, could get their hands on personal information from forums such as ATS.
First of all let me say that I am sure ATS has measures and lawyers in place to prevent this and I have no doubt that our anonymity is well protected.
It has long been speculated that someone in some dark government basement has been documenting the opinions expressed on ATS and many other alternative websites. The government has no legal way to obtain our identities, but do you think it has the technology to somehow bypass all protective measures and uncover our IPs and our names?
If so, how could they achieve this and what can we do to increase our protection?

[edit on 22-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I have tried things like TOR or Privoxy but I'm not a big computer expert so they either mess up my connection or they prevent me from going to my usual websites.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:15 PM
link   
It’s my personal opinion the government can track you anywhere anytime. Not only on the outside world with all the cameras and satellites but also and especially on the computers. Haven’t you heard have web bots. These things go out and get information and take it back to huge server.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:18 PM
link   
You can check out this thread:

Sites Like ATS are monitored by an analyst and assigned a threat level

But, people will try and tell you they don't, but I will disagree.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   
They don’t need to track you through ATS, they can track your internet usage through your Internet Service Provider.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76
You can check out this thread:

Sites Like ATS are monitored by an analyst and assigned a threat level

But, people will try and tell you they don't, but I will disagree.

No I agree with you and I have followed your thread.
What I am trying to find out is what technologies they might be using to not only "monitor" sites like ATS, but also to infiltrate them.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
They don’t need to track you through ATS, they can track your internet usage through your Internet Service Provider.

Yes but that won't be able to attribute a specific "post" back to me, will it?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Hi...
You can use all the anonymizers you like; but please don't think ATS has some kind of built-in protection system.... you own what you post. Deny Ignorance. The Three Amigos have pretty much made this clear. Are we more fortunate than most? I would say yes. I do believe there are certain specific programs in place. Are we hidden? Hells No! What websites do YOU suppose TPTB absolutely loooove to keep an eye on? Why do we keep getting new members daily? Ah.... 'coz when someone wants to know about something, they google it...and ATS ALWAYS pops up, if not first, at least top ten. We Are Legion...lol
I can google your post right now and find out more than you want me (or anyone else ) to know. Try it. Log out, clear your cookies, and google certain words in your post...scary...welcome to 2008...lol...and I don't even work for TPTB...hahaha (that's probably a very good thing).
Nice to meetcha, by the way...speak little, and listen much, and you'll learn and grow more here than you could ever imagine.
Be Well.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I would think that every character that you type has to pass through the ISP’s server along with the address that it is going to, so yes. I am not a server administrator enough to say how with absolute certainty, but I know that the text you type does not just magically appear on ATS without passing through your ISP, then a number of nodes between the two places. If they want to track you they can simply have your ISP route your connection right through somewhere it can be monitored. If I recall correctly this has been discussed on ATS here many times, and there are threads on the topic better explaining it, if you do a search.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

I agree... this is what I was talking about; THEY are everywhere...and if YOU are HERE...then THEY already know. Rock On...!

admin edit removed quote of TAC violation

[edit on 6-22-2008 by Springer]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Governments around the World monitor sites likes ATS to gauge public knowledge on certain subjects and to keep tabs on any potential leaks or leads.

If you are leaking sensitive information or posting ideas that could be utilized for national defense, they will be particularly vigilant. Advanced physics, Photographic anomalies previously undetected, and knowledge gleaned from various sectors all fed into a single Nexus - you bet someone is paying attention to this website.

You must weigh the consequences with what you say against its potential to reach the masses and turn the tide of the infowar. The age of anonymity online never existed, and you can rest assured this will work to our favour.

Anyone monitoring this site may very well be subject to the whims any future administration who wishes to return to its Constitutional roots and in so doing make an example of the lower echelons currently spreading disinfo, propaganda as well as cataloging and harassing good Citizens.

So should you chose in either case to connect yourself to certain ideas, or writings you will surely have your identity attached to them also.

That goes for the good Citizens and those working against them - even if they are "only following orders"

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by althea041724
You can use all the anonymizers you like

Why wouldn't anonymizers protect me?
Don't they mask my ip?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Sometimes they don't just track IP's either. They also track Mac Addresses and Computer Names...

Another good suggestion would be to clone a mac address. But, you would have to know what you are doing on that one.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
If the go vernment is going after high school kids for asking questions in grown-up forums then things are worse than I thought.

I just figure if my thoughts are clean and I mean nobody any harm who cares what I think?

I just wanna know whats going on that's all.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sarcastic

Lol. These are not your run of the mill guys, most of the monitoring is done via keywords then sites that hold interest are then looked at. These guys not what to look for, the serious stuff, not rants and stupid stuff.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Of course the United States Government can track you through ATS.

The problem is for them of course, is that quite literally, some ATS'ers, don't give a hairy rat's behind, one way or another.

They watch every keyword, sort for threat levels, cross-reference it with other data and intelligence, and file it away somewhere.

Whichever department is relevant of course.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
My worry I guess is not so much about individual posts. First of all the moderators are very good at removing posts or threads quickly that have any menace in them.
Like Shar said, I have heard of Web Bots, though I'm not sure I understand the process completely. What worries me is the following combination:
a) Some government software flagging certain words or sequence of words
b) Government lists that are compiled that misidentify thousands and leave them without recourse of knowing that they are on these lists, or how to get themselves removed from them.
Not so long ago I was watching NBC news and they did a story on the "terrorist" list and not only was Nelson Mandela was on it but no one at Homeland Security knew how to remove him.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:20 AM
link   

That is the problem today. The list exists but, no one can say hey, I didn't post that, my neighbor used my computer for the last week, there is no trial for this and that is what is sad.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

That is the problem today. The list exists but, no one can say hey, I didn't post that, my neighbor used my computer for the last week, there is no trial for this and that is what is sad.

Agreed, this is particularly worrisome in my case since they don't really have to drive that far.
I live where they live!

[edit on 22-6-2008 by schrodingers dog]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join