It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Better Than Playing Gasoline Politics: A Crash Program In Fuel Efficency"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I just read this article today and I thought I would share it as it's point was well received.

It talks about alternatives to increasing oil exploration and rilling that would be able to help ease costs in the same time as the pursuit of more oil.

President Bush wants to lift a 27-year-old ban on coastal oil drilling and open up a portion of the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge for oil exploration as ways to cut the cost of gasoline ... Presidential candidate Senator John McCain, who may rapidly be losing his environmental credentials, agrees with the President. Obama has yet to comment.

The nation needs something bolder. Better than looking for more oil it needs a crash program to dramatically cut oil consumption while making equivalent cuts in greenhouse gas emissions attributed to vehicles. Most oil is used for vehicular fuel.

Beginning immediately:

--- Offer a generous tax credit for the purchase of an energy efficient new or used vehicle that increases with average fuel economy...

--- Loosen up the protectionist import rules for new and used vehicles. Make it easier to import high fuel economy cars and trucks that are already available overseas, many of which may already meet crash tests and possibly emissions tests as well...

--- Offer corporations generous incentives to build high fuel economy cars domestically. Increase the incentive with the fuel economy of the vehicles built...

--- Increase domestic supplies of lithium and offer generous incentives to increase the domestic production of lithium batteries....

I support such efforts for several reasons. Foremost for the protection of the environment and for the impetus for technological advancement.

As has already been pointed out in other threads the call for increased leasing of land to oil companies is a sham. As Rep. Hinchey (D) from New York stated:

"Oil corporations are trying to take control of as much land now during the oil-friendly Bush administration years, but are holding off on drilling until the price of oil soars to $200 or $300 a barrel so they can make even greater profits," said Rep. Maurice Hinchey, a New York Democrat and a sponsor of the drilling bill. link

In this thread: "The Push for Opening More Land for Oil Drilling is a Farce (Part 1)" I provide evidence to support the claim made by Rep. Hinchey. Oil companies already hold more leases than they are using at a ratio somewhere around 3:1. What they are avoiding is the debate on how the USA should spend it's money; on continuing to prop up the carbon economy by pumping money into it's infrastructure; or by shifting away from the carbon economy and investing in creating a alternative energy economy.

That is why I think articles like the one I present in the begining of this thread are so important as they point out the obvious, the time has come for change, are we still innovative and progressive enough as Americans to meet the challenge?

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Obviously you havent heard of the new Japaneses release that rolled out recently.
Water powered PERIOD.... hydrogen fuel celled ONLY...
heres the news:

green.yahoo.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by dj_molecular

Actually I have herd of this car, which is essentially a fuel-cell powered by hydrogen stripped from water, so technically it is not water powered water is more or less the 'vessel' in which the fuel is transported.

Whats more I remain dubious. It would be excellent if it is successful but if you do a little digging the car has a long way to come before it is on the streets in mass.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   
You know what...Animal is starting to make alot of sense.

Let's keep restricting the oil companies from doing their job. Let's all join the Democrats in their silent glee of higher gas prices in hopes of a miracle alternative energy that is still decades away!

While Democrats and the enviro-whacko lobbyist are beaming in the glory of their self-made high gas prices. There are alot of people who are losing their jobs because they can't afford to drive to work. Some are taking out pay-day loans just to put gas in their cars. The best (?) thing this do-nothing Congress did so far was passing a minimum wage increase. Then they turn around a take it all away by not helping us beat high gas prices by not wanting to increase domestic supply.

When this current Democrat controlled Congress took office in 2006 gas was around $2.00 a gallon, in their short time in office it has doubled. Even after Pelosi's campaign promise to get gas prices under control.

It's really simple, the Democrat agenda prohibits cheap affordable oil. It ruins their plans for some miracle alternative that big enviro-whacos lobby them everyday for. The higher the price the better it is for them. The more people in the welfare lines, the more people dependent on government is a plus for them. What incentive do they have to provide people cheap oil?

Republicans want us to use our own natural resources, and ween ourselves from foreign oil. They want oil affordable and for our citizens to prosper.

The good thing is the Democrats charade is starting to fall apart. People are demanding a quick solution to outrageous oil prices, and the Republicans solution is looking pretty good!

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
You know what...Animal is starting to make alot of sense.

Let's keep restricting the oil companies from doing their job. Let's all join the Democrats in their silent glee of higher gas prices in hopes of a miracle alternative energy that is still decades away!

You keep popping up in all the threads on this topic in general and you keep running from one fact; that 3/4 of the oil leases held by oil companies today are not in use.

You keep saying they are worthless leases but will not explain why the oil companies payed for worthless leases or how you know them to be worthless.

You also continue to try to blame this all on the democrats when all they seem to be asking for is for oil companies to use what they have befoe asking foe more.

Your character assassinations and empty accusation and claims mean nothing with out evidence.

Whats more in this thread I am talking about technologies largely based on OIL. Only it is about using it more responsibly. What pray tell is wrong with that?

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Have you ever actually worked for an oil company? I am going to gather from response that it is a big no. I have worked for 2. Let me tell you, they do not lease land unless there is a 99% chance that they can get oil out of it. Otherwise it is a complete waste of money. If they are sitting on 3 quarters of all their properties it is to horde until the price gets right and they can develop them in such a way that they will be putting out more product without having to risk flooding the market and driving down the price.

1. I would like for you to explain what restrictions the democrats have brought in the last 2 years that has changed the way oil companies do business.

2. I would also like to know, how it is possible, if you can prove question 1, that the democrat policies that they have enacted in the last 2 years, has affected every other country on earth? How the democrats do business in the States, should not affect countries like Canada or the UK.

You seem to not be able to see past your own bias. It is not the Democrats that are the problem, it is the oil companies. They want more land so they can grab it up and put them under their 99 year leases. It is nothing short of an insurance policy.

new topics

top topics

join