It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scott Kalitta loses life at NHRA event......

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Unfortunately, Scott Kalitta, NHRA racer, lost his life in the fourth stage of qualifying of the event in New Jersey today.

Being a fan of racing, I am speechless at the moment...

May his family find peace.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
REST IN PEACE SCOTT KALITTA. YOU WERE AND ALWAYS WILL BE GREAT. WITH LOVE FROM JOHN, RIVERTON, UTAH

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
NHRA...isn't that drag racing? Dragsters are dangerous.

What happened? Lose control at the end of a run?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

I saw one replay, full speed.. car exploded, never veered, never braked or chuted, hit full speed at the end of the runoff.

I can only hope that he was gone before the final impact, I really can't explain it, still in denial sorry.

Yes, drag racing, he was driving in the Funny Car class...

[edit on 6/21/2008 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Damn...300mph.
Here's a news article:
ap.google.com...

Witnesses told The Star-Ledger of Newark that Kalitta's Toyota Solara was traveling at an estimated speed of 300 mph when the crash occurred.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
If you saw the accident on the tv or on Youtube, you could see that the timing and scoring board was reading at least 300 maybe 301 miels an hour when it happened. If it was a problem wth the fuel line before it blew, the fuel line may have had a hole in it. When the fuel touched the extremely hot headers on the valves, that's possibly what set the fuel off.

As for the safety advancements that could come from this, I may have at least two ideas for both the NHRA and the IHRA to look at.

Too keep something like this from ever happening again. The NHRA needs to look into a system similar to what NASCAR implemented atfer the deaths of Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty. That is device that not only cut the fuel supply to the engine, but one that will also shut off the car's ignition system.

Something that they should also look into is a way for the car to automatically apply the brakes if either, or both, the parachutes don't deploy or if the drive is somehow incapacitated. Scott's accident should have never happened nor should have been allowed to happen. Since this has happened, the NHRA needs to put in a stricter inspection procedure before each and every race is to occur on a said weekend.

I for one also hope that he was gone before all of that happened.

May Scott Kalitta rest in peace....

top topics

join