It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent's 'kinda wild' U.K sit-x/survival...on a budget thread.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Well thats one way to train I suppose!!

I'm gonna stick to carrying weights in my pack when I go for walks...I hate walking in soaked clothes!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
reply to post by AGENT_T

you wear jeans in the wilderness ?

They were for the pub.. the boomerang(stick)/ seashore /soggy phone and wallet incident was purely circumstantial.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Next time get a proper boomerang! That stick was hilarious to watch but you wouldn't be bagging any wallabe's with it!

Unless they were flying 100ft in the air directly opposite you!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 10:59 PM
link   

By the way ,does anyone know whether a wild food guide exists for Northern Europe?

Michelin do a fairy comprehensive guide...and an essential survival-winelist as a companion volume too

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Indeed a nice little gadget there. Had a camel hump when they came out which was fine under a day pack, but when you were out of clean water you were out. Had one of those nasty collapsable plastic jugs for 2-5 bucks...about 5 steps above cling wrap for repeated use.

I like the idea of the water straws for size and weight but I am rather afraid to test their claims of sipping from a mossy mudhole and their ability to filter out all the nasty little bugs that make life terrible. In my younger, dumber days I sampled the water of what seemed to be a clean running stream trusting the old wive's tale of seven rocks. Lucky for me it wasn't a hospital trip but lesson learned.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

This will make you laugh. I was doing a cadre in Wales and we were running well short of water. The Two stripe said all bravado ' this is pure mountain water lads, fill ya boots!' and with that he started to slurp away at the stream.

One of my compatriots waited till he was slurping away and said sardonicllay...

' of course the Corporals not really drinking water thats a hundred yards down stream from a dead sheep, this is of course an observation test'.

That taught us all a valuable lesson.

As for water straws, I have used them in some weird and wonderful places. Juts make sure they are the 0.2 microns version to guard against gardia.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

That's why I intend getting a spot close to the streams source.

Drinking source.. followed by a spot for bathroom duties... anyone downstream better watch out for strange looking 'marine life'..

TIP.. That 'Brown trout' has sweetcorn in it..

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Brown trout...sweet corn....
dammit I got tears in my eyes.

It is however a valuable lesson. Look at your water source BEFORE you drink / use it, and beat the seven shades of hell out of any one pooping in any water course.

Dig a hole man! make like a brown mole, not a brown trout!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T
That 'Brown trout' has sweetcorn in it..

I did wonder why that last catch seemed more 'green giant' than 'rainbow'

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Hehe.. just kidding.. I'd save the 'floaters' for the veggie patch.

I was reading about reservations for planting edibles next to a septic tank.
There's a very good reason why people pay good money for a load of shi.. er ..manure.

The good ole branch and ash covered poo-pit is the preferred method for temporary ablutions..

Disgusting as it may sound to some I'm looking up finding a way to naturally process human waste to a 'handleable' hygienic form for fertilizer.

If anyone can point to an easy/practical solution I'd be most appreciative.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Your question reminded me of this. Biogas used to feed prisoners in Rwanda.

Times online

Thats not answering your question but this next couple of links I hope will help.

PERC.CA

They show it needs a heck of alot of treatment first before its used.

Human waste protest

people are not happy at all with what treatment this gets before its spread on the land. Every link I have looked at goes back to one or two main points. it needs alot of treatment first, and parasites within the human system can be deadly if introduced into the food chain via human waster fertilizers.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:50 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

John Seymours 'The new complete book to self sufficiency' covers the Human Compost Toilet quite well.

If you are thinking about a permanent settlement you could also consider a reed bed toilet system like the one HM Prince of Wales has at Highgrove House.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Yeah it's the processing that's the problem.
Urine is widely used..not a problem.. but human faeces contain heavy metals and LOTS of pathogens..

As for as the pathogens go,they will die in the soil,if buried deep enough will not be a problem.

I'm wondering how much a 'survival' diet will effect the 'results'.
It just seems a waste to.. err..waste, good..waste..

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

Cheers. I'll check out the book.

The reed filter idea I was checking out a while back with regards to natural water filtering.. It seems to be gaining popularity with more environmentally conscious people.

It's great to see more ideas like these being put ito practise

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I would like to bring this post to all of your attention.

It seems that if you post in the survivalist section of ATS you cannot add to any other threads nor start one because your a 'survivalist'.

have a look.

Originally posted by Stockburn
Want to know the truth about Dan Tanna? This thread says volumes of the fish being slayer.

Read this Thread in it's entirity. As of 6/22/08 he had a new CRKT on order (to most people that's just a cool knife). So Dan amazingly received the new knife just in time to kill a fish being? LMFAO! Not too mention, he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO shaken up, he still continues to post on DIFFERENT threads like he was never "attacked (if thats the correct term)", nor hacked up a possibly intelligent fish being.

Check the history of the OP.

I will print and eat this whole 700+ post, 38 page transcript printed in 2 font arial letters if he can prove his account true.

Hell, after reading the above thread, I seriously doubt he even has a bug out bag nor even has ANY wilderness survival skills.

..... Now, I had a very bizarre experience, very traumatic, and i tried to keep it hidden. I posted in RATS to let off steam, and then started to post in main board because of certain members didn't have RATS access.

So people, there you have it.

I don't know what to say. i really don't.

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Blimey DT I think you have a pet stalker there! It's not fair I want one too!

Don't take it seriously as it's just some spotty little fool spouting off from behind the safety of a keyboard...sad aint it

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   

Yeah Dan I read the whole 'public' account.. unfortunate timing.. Schools out for summer early or something.
I'll save my investigative comments/tips etc for RATS as they'll just get buried in the poo in that one..

--------------------

Maybe next 'meet' should be in culloden woods.
There's a few spring traps I haven't been able to perfect yet.. no slack on the bait wire and stake won't release..but the deadfall trap with weighted spikes works fine.

Gawdang gonna catchuzz sum hawg fur thu spit...(Sorry my slack-jaw yokel accent needs worked on too.)

posted on Jul, 7 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Dont worry about it he's probably some computer screen warrior who gets kicks of trying to mess with people.

I dont have access to RATS so I cant read your post and i'm not going to judge it by some skewed post some fool has written to try and discredit you.

I think you've shown you have a good survival mentality by the excellent posts you write and continue to write on the survival forum

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Just had a few thoughts for you all as I was reading this extensive thread. If we do indeed get into a SHTF situation, and there is no more petrol, etc to run vehicles and you have to hump this stuff on your back, how many of you can actually do this? Do you all have any clue how much this stuff all weighs, when added up? Now, I'm not trying to be mean or rude, I just want to give everyone some food for thought. How much "stuff" do you really "need" to truely survive? These thoughts came to me as I was putting together not only my SitX kit but also my backpacking kit for my trip on the Pacific Crest Trail (PCT) next spring. Trust me folks, the last thing I want to do is hump a 50 pound pack for 2660 miles- not including food and water! Yikes! So, I went about paring the weights down, while keeping in mind I need to be able to survive any weather conditions, from an outright snowstorm, to blistering hot desert sun.

Some suggestions to consider....
Henry Shire's Tarptents- 3 season, but can be used through many 4 season events. 2.5 lbs for a 2 man tent.

REI's -5F rated 750 fill down mummy bag- cozy even for a cold sleeper. 2.5 lbs for a 6 foot bag.

Mountain Hardware makes some terrific -40 F rated down bags at about 4lbs.

Liners for sleeping bags are only so so at achieving what they say they will do at best. (experience)

Gregory/Osprey Backpacks- both make excellent "bombproof" backpacks that are ultralight and comfortable to haul a load with. About 3 lbs weight.

Camelbak among others makes some great bladder hydration pouches in varying sizes from 1-4 Litres, and most of today's backpacks are made to accomodate these water bladders.

Water purification- Aqua Mira is my favorite here. 3 oz for 2 bottles, purifies anything, cost about 12$ US. Second favorite for when the water isn't clear or has lots of floaties and crud in it, a Katydyn Hiker Pro water filter, but you take the weight sacrifice as it weighs in at about a pound. Double up and use both if the water is awful.

Try checking out the long distance backpacking forums for some other great suggestions for finding gear that is lightweight and functions within your needs, both weight wise and cost wise. Good gear will not be cheap, but will serve your needs for years to come.

Maybe a long distance backpacker isn't worth listening to, but I sincerely hope you will give the ideas some thought and check out the ideas I've given to you.

Peace
Soul Sista

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Been reading this thread and its good but alot of us do not have the money to spare. I put together what i call my "get out of dodge quick" bag. Things I recon will be usefull that i found around the house. Its a small bag, old ww2 army satchel actualy
anyway contents.

matches, loads, strike anywhere kind, mine are wraped 3 - 4x in bags.

flints, i have a load of spent lighters with flint left, in the bag. (read pokey bit)

knifes, 4, 1 big, 2 med and 1 small, i recon a good kitchen knife would do if u beefed up the handle.

bivvy bag, has a few uses besides keeping you dry.

small meth stove, this was part of a fondue set
and a bottle of meths.

small binoculars, obvious, and could light a fire with the lenses.

bag of bits, this is just stuff that might be usefull, wire, sharpening stone,
sewing kit, compass, pliers, tinder, small saw blade, small torch, candles, some sand paper, sticky tape, string, shoe laces,etc, you get the picture.

medical kit, plasters etc also a load of antibiotics I stashed, vit pills.

extra stuff includes a few bin bags, thin strapping and ratchet some firelighters, coffee filters (not sure how usefull)

grab that and my boots and sleeping bag, better prepared than not.

anyone got any sugestions to add to my bag?

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join