It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent's 'kinda wild' U.K sit-x/survival...on a budget thread.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

PERFECT for this 'budget thread'

These do 350 a refill.. at 2-3 litres a day thats 3-4 months..using nothing but this.. (£3 a week.. 1 pint of beer less a week for a few months..
)

The nearest competitor seems to be theKatadyn hiker

£42

It's 7" by 4" ish and does 750 litres.. but I'd be a bit concerned by the 'not field cleanable' bit..

The 'pro' comes with a field cleaning kit but can't find a UK supplier link ....yet

[edit on 3-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Very impressive piece of kit. The London School of Tropical Medicine are very highly regarded worldwide and if they endorse it then it must be good.

I quite like the water bottle version.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Yeah the not field cleanable part puts a bit of a dampner on it, I'm looking at this one...

Katadyn Mini Ceramic Filter

Its £60 and does 7,000L depending on water quality which seems much more cost effective, you can also get replacment filters for £36 which would do you for another 7,000L...depending on water quality lol

Water filter

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   

I like those ones.

Cleanable in the water it produces.

At 7000 litres. 2l a day. 3,500 days ..10 years it kinda puts its longevity vs price in perspective.

If you could get access to a reservoir or fresh running stream you would never have clean water supply worries ever.
VERY worthwhile.IMO

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
If I can get the money together I'll be getting one by the end of the month, cant seem to find a better one pricewise it looks like the best one out there.

Tested out my Banshee a few days ago on a camping trip in the wind and p'ing rain...its a complete dream I would recommend getting one it takes 5 mins at the most to set up and it keeps you snug as a bug

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   

I hate you..

It's the greatest feeling when you're snug n toasty in bad weather..
Coz you know when it's fine..it's even better.

I'm trying to get a break in commitments to take off for a while..A couple of days at a time isn't cutting it...I need a long chat with nature lol.
Is it really bad wishing for the social crash to hurry up?

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
mannn its my survival Hilton haha
Theres a sale on at the camping shop up the road from me...sells them for £65 so I got one straight away (dont really have much £££ but its a worthwhile investment).

I've got a few camping trips coming up over the next 2 months, nothing major though I wanna get away for about 3 weeks up near the scottish border.

Any sign of a social crash and I'll be gone in a heart beat, I finshed my 3 years of college on tuesday (wooooot!!!) so I've got nothing holding me back, times are hard but being optimistic is making me feel good

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
A shelter and weapon in one...the combat-umbrella!

if only they made it in a camo-print with a wider canopy to bivvy under in the field it would be a perfect bit of kit...

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Hehe.. That's the vid link one of my equipment suppliers sent.

Maybe a development of the 'Poppins' prototype..
If it comes with an add on microlight I might be persuaded.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Haha! What a find!

I wouldn't wanna tango with that man on a dark night he looks well schooled in the art of umbrella combat

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I just had to add this vid as a demonstration of the effectiveness of brolly-jitsu

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
That lad must of pi'd off his instructor he got his a** kicked in EVERY demonstration!

I wish they didnt them in camo pattern!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Very interesting thread, Agent T.

For years I have been researching the economic situation as well as preparing myself financially. Being a student I don't have loads of money, but I exchanged a fair amount of Euros into silver coins (Canadian Maple Leaves).

Additionally, my parents have bought a holiday home for in Eastern Europe for leisure, but also as escape hideout when # hits the fan in this highly populated area.

I am a real grasshopper in survival skills, but I have always enjoyed watching Ray Mears, perhaps I should buy a basic survival book prior to buying some basic equipment. (is the SAS survival manual recommendable?)

Moreover, I haven't really read much about equipment for catching fish, wild or whatsoever... fire arms are not easy to get here in Europe (these days I would say unfortunately they aren't).

Anyway, I read that 25 KG is an advisable weight to carry in your backpack.
Could you make an inventory list of all necessities you would take considering the limit of 25 kg?

PS are there any good US based stores shipping to Europe? (With the current exchange rate it might be worthwhile considering).

By the way ,does anyone know whether a wild food guide exists for Northern Europe?

Edit: and what about machetes and axes?

[edit on 4-7-2008 by Mdv2]

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna

add one of these to your BOB and you'll be laughing. Goes through two foot trees easily, and has to be the easiest tool i ever used to lop down large bows off a pine tree.

Is an axe not more useful as it can be used as a weapon, chopping but more importantly it will let you shape wood while this saw lacks that ability.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Mdv2

As you asked so many 'n00b' questions, I am going to let that one slide.

When you can rock and roll in the wilds like i can, then tell me whats good and whats not for felling small trees with minimal effort. That little beast goes through birch trees like a hot knife through butter, and can be rope thrown over higher branches and bring them down. try that with an axe (If you do, please be so kind as putting footage on youtube!)

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mdv2
. , perhaps I should buy a basic survival book prior to buying some basic equipment. (is the SAS survival manual recommendable?)

Moreover, I haven't really read much about equipment for catching fish,

Could you make an inventory list of all necessities you would take considering the limit of 25 kg?

By the way ,does anyone know whether a wild food guide exists for Northern Europe?

Edit: and what about machetes and axes?

[edit on 4-7-2008 by Mdv2]

I've only done the first couple of parts.. more to follow..

If you're considering making a strategic withdrawal to somewhere more 'nature like' you should already have some very basic knowledge before attempting this as you will only end up in a bucketload of trouble..

BUT in the next part I'm recommending some books to bone up with.. including the SAS survival guide by Lofty Wiseman.. Yes it's an excellent book and should serve you very well.

Also a subject you mentioned 'wild food'.. there is another one I'll link called 'free food' it has an excellent calender showing what is available at different times of the year.
Also a dedicated mushroom ID and animal tracks and trail.. just gimme a couple of days coz of work commitments.

The weight limit as recommended by Dan Tanna is very sensible ..on the condition that you are quite fit to begin with.. 25kg is NOT light by any means.. If your legs start buckling after a couple of miles then ur stuffed..

Get Exersaving..

As far as Machetes,you have to understand that the UK is very girly-nancy as far as blades are concerned so if I recommended the carbon steel UK army 'jungle machete' at £20 from most surplus stores you understand it would be from a purely theoretical point of view.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
25Kg seems a bit on the heavy side...I was bushed carrying 23Kg round Thailand for a few hours, my full pack weighs about 14Kg at the minute, thats the BOB + rifle with about 1500 pellets.

Mind you I wont be built like some people on here!

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   

One of my preferred training methods is walking up and down a steep beach path with a fishing bag full of lead and soggy jeans n boots..

Oxygen all round

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

That instructors a bully, and voiding any and all insurance by not having protective flooring for students to fall / break fall onto.

Thats the type of 'look at me ain't I ace' instructors I hate.

##############################################

As for 25 Kg weight. 25Kg is MAX for rough terrain moving fast. Aim for the ability to do 20 miles in 8 hours over steep and wooded terrain. Thats going to get you plenty hill fit for those rough days to come.

The rest should be in stashed hide aways already in remote areas.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Fishings a good skill... having soggy jeans ?? you wear jeans in the wilderness ?

Thats you off my Christmas card list.

You need fast drying, light wieght trousers that are windproof to boot. Any thing else is going to lower your body temp badly, rapidly.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join