It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent's 'kinda wild' U.K sit-x/survival...on a budget thread.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
This just sounds like my kit list for Glastonbury.

Cause, when the s*** hits the fan, us brits are deffinately gonna need woodland survival skills.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by scepticsteve

Hey Steve..
Exactly what I'm trying to put across.. You'd buy these things for a 'wee jolly'..well not the knife of course.

For a couple of extra quid you've got items that can save your life.
The great thing is.. at the moment,because the UK is so exercise shy.these things are 'for nowt'.

When I was a wee-un I remember my parents paying HUNDREDS for a family tent for a couple of weeks a year..miners hols

Materials have advanced hugely in water-proofability (is that a word?) and strength/weight ratio.

Camping for fun is great exercise and gets you away from pollution and stress.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Actually I love all this survival stuff, Ray Mears is my hero (not some arrogant fool like Bear Grylls), as a kid my dream was to get stuck on a desert island and prove I could survive on my own. I can make fire half a dozen ways, and i've slept in shelters made of sticks in the middle of no-where.

My quarrel is with this situation X nonsense. It just seems to me like some big vague paranoia that I can't understand. If people live somewhere, where a disaster such as a flood, or hurricane is within the realms of possibility then it absolutely makes sense to put some provisions aside, just to tide you over until help arrives or things get better.

But it feels like people are planning for more than that, I've no idea what it is, ww3? alien invasion? who knows. What I do no is that these things don't "just happen" if something of this magnitude were to ever occur (Impossible in my opinion, but thats irrelevant) no amount of knives of tents is gonna help you. The only way to see these things through is through strength and loyalty with your fellow man, not camping in the forest, eating wild mushrooms.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by scepticsteve

You pass SAS selection my china, then you can slag him off. Till then, your not 1% the man he is.

He is a skilled, highly capable former special forces operator - he just is hamming it up for the TV.

Meet him in real life, then come back and share your feelings with us. Yes he does silly stuff, but face to face he is a real genuine bloke with a great depth of knowledge and experience.

Survivor man still rules them all though.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Hi there Sceptic.

I am preparing for 2 types of sitx.
The first which I think I will see in my life time is the stix of Civil unrest.
You know, power cuts, strikes, riots etc.
So my first plan is to have a supply of medical items ie first aid kit, candles, batteries and torches and a supply of food for my family.
The second sitx which I may or may not see where I live would be flooding.
I am not near a river but near the coast, so for this I am making for me and my family a bug out bag (BOB) this has a tent for the family, some food supplies, first aid kit with pain killers, torches etc.
This would be used if I have to leave my house.

There are all sorts of sitx's out there and it can be impossible to plan for them all unless you live in the countryside and are self sustaining.
You are best of looking at what is likely to affect you and you family and then plan.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by colec156]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

very valid points.

Plan for what you think will be your most immediate concern, and then add bits on as you see fit.

Civil unrest in the next decade is an almost given, as things are going to turn ugly sooner rather than later (think EU expansion and power grabs / immigration into cities / food / fuel losses..)

Flooding is also some thing a well prepared family can deal easily with.

Glad you got a BOB.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

First of all, thanks Dan

When I first came back to these forums, I had a quick peek on the survival board. I was overwhelmed with info on what I needed or desired to have.
There is so much information out there that it can become a nightmare.
You know, do i need a solar power charger of a wind prop etc.

So thats when I sat back and thought, What am I likely to face within 5 years ?
Then I asked myself what could I face in 10 years ? then the train of thought takes from then on in.

If you don't mind me asking, what sitx's are you preparing for ?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Probably A bit harsh on old Mr. Grylls there I s'pose.

I just find his style of survival show a little bit pretentious, and I don't like all this "man vs the wild" nonsense. Ray Mears takes a step back and basically says...Nature has won, treat it with respect and hope you can somehow make it out alive.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Me ?

I am prepping for the need to be able to chop / fish / hunt / fire light / quench thirst / shelter.

My BOB is all about the immediates for sustained living off grid, but with out all these super snazzy extras.

I know my kit inside out, and use it to keep me entertained over multi day 'walk abouts' in the scottish wilds.

SITX as I see it is total collapse of law and order resulting in chaotic conditions.

Hence all the basics are covered.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by scepticsteve
Probably A bit harsh on old Mr. Grylls there I s'pose.

I just find his style of survival show a little bit pretentious, and I don't like all this "man vs the wild" nonsense. Ray Mears takes a step back and basically says...Nature has won, treat it with respect and hope you can somehow make it out alive.

sorry for being harsh though.

Ray mears is the man with a stable long term plan, and yes, he does advocate a very self sustaining long term survival skill set up.

Hence he builds the Hilton of the forest every time he breaks camp.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I'm totally guilty of ripping on 'Bear' too.
Misguided I know because it's the tv programming agenda that is pushing the 'superhuman abilities' side of things.

Fact is though,people are influenced by these programs and will end up slightly errr.. DEAD trying to mimic his exploits.

These are EXTREME techniques taught to elite professionals.
like the ole american rasslin..
"Please do NOT try this at home".

Scaling down cliffs etc. can usually be avoided by stopping,thinking and..taking the footpath just down the road.

I nearly got caught out with a canoing expedition down the Ardeche,Fr by the instructors/leaders

"OK, we have to scale the 600ft cliffs to access the launching point..who wants safety equipment"

Being young and stoopid I declined..fortunately..as they then led groups of 10 roped together and helmetted up along shallow gravel paths down to the water..

They were sods for pulling tricks.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Anyone remember Fat Freddys Surf Shack? I'm going Global Hyper Color t-shirts, that way I can be seen as a civilian by my sweat-marks going pink.

Cheers for a great thread by the way, amusing and insightful - oh yeah and useful, I've got a small stash of things to see me through. Worst case scenario I think might happen will be collapse of government, looting etc - so all the stuff I can't afford... well, whilst everyone else is looting tv's and dvd players, I'll be getting down my local Blacks.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by jokei]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
what sitx's are you preparing for ?

I'm getting prepped (v.slowly but surely) for 2 major situations...

Loss of national-grid power...anything from the '3-day-week' such as during the height of the '79 Winter of Discontent when the leccy regularly went out across the nation, to total and permanent grid-failure

Loss of supply-chain-convenience food shopping and private transport either due to oil-supply strikes or other consumer-cargo transportation crisis

As my measly student budget barely covers textbooks and rent costs, my off-grid gear wishlist will take rather a long time to get together, but in the mean time, I'm more than mentally prepared for such hardships gained from the last few years of living on the same income as a church-mouse.

Adaptability, the knowledge of how to (mis)use tools and materials, and a stubborn attitude will be the key components of making it through all but the very worst of times

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

reply to post by fred3110

*ALERT 25/06*

BoB drill, same RV as previous

1800 Zulu

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
No prob mate...6 it is

How do I not make this a one liner...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
*ALERT 25/06*

BoB drill, same RV as previous

1800 Zulu

If that means Beers On Board.. I am sooo sorted

Part of surviving also requires the ability to operate equipment whilst your senses may not be at their sharpest..
Sensory deprivation equipment provided.

Sea equipment provided also,but bring your own bikini.
High tide 2000hrs.
First procedure covered will be removing limpets from personal seating area after slipping on wet rocks.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
PART TWO

SLEEPING BAGS..

Sleeping bags are a balance of size vs warmth.
Synthetic vs down..?
3 season to 5 season?
Mummy vs moveable.?

Synthetics are very warm but can build up moisture.
Down is good for a wider range of temperatures but bulkier
Some people find the 'mummy' style too restrictive and claustrophobic at first.
You get the picture..
but it's easy to compromise..
I went for a synthetic 'mummy' style backpacker.. and a fleece liner.

mummy bag
Liner

To be honest.The liner hasn't even been used.One up for global warming

You may prefer a lighter/more compact one if backpack space is limited.
but you can get compression packs which really squash the size..

I highly recommend making your own sleeping mat.. You don't have to be an expert..
Just a large plastic bag or two stuffed with leaves/grass/hay
The best sleeping bags will still lose heat on a cold ground and won't be too comfy.. unless you love waking up with sore backs (and twig or pebble impressions in your buttocks.)

The sheep in the farmers field next door looks FAR too warm if you've packed some shears..

Sleeping bags £30-£60..
is a fair guide ..including liner.

Ask for a Shingle Batt if you want to look like a camping GOD...

DINNER TIME

STOVE..
This has got to be THE easiest choice
There can be only one.

There are smaller 'stove' options.. but this type is widely available,time tested and includes all you need to cook up your 'Kelp and Rabbit surprise'.
It isn't too bulky and you can keep all your lighters/fuel/tinder dry inside.

When fuel runs out for your burner just bung a wad of straw n sticks under the potstand as the world's smallest campfire.
Fuel should last until you get to your 'base camp' and you'll be having wild boar ..spit roasted over an open camp-fire anyway...

Meths/whatever.. but I went for environment friendly fuel gel.

'green' fire

Trangia stove and fuel£10-£20ish.. shop around..

By far and away the easiest method to light a fire is with matches or a cigarette lighter..again..these will be a finite resource so best to learn how to use a firesteel.
firesteel

This linky even has a nice little guideline to using one.

Firesteel £5-£10

The biggest problem is getting the spark to turn into a flame.. after that it's easy.
Tinder must be light and very flammable.
Keep dried pine needles in a tin from your dead xmas tree.Or recyle your used newspapers into fuel soaked compressed blocks... OR..

cheat away

Ready made 'tinder.. £2- £5

You know where your cutlery draw is for eating implements. All in one's aren't really that much of a space/weight saver unless you're going for aircraft grade aluminium ones..costly in other words.

Feeling more secure yet?You now have shelter,warmth,comfort and something to cook with..

Next part.. how to get your hands on some of that lovely 'knowledge stuff'..

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Agent, i have to ask, are there any smaller sleeping bags you could recommend? I have found over the years that a sleeping bag takes up a lot of space. Finding one that is very compact and excellent in containing heat would be very helpful. If the cost was not an issue, what would you suggest in your experience?

Over the years i've only ever used a two season sleeping bag, sometimes using a tent and other times using a fire. However i understand there might be times when this isn't enough or there isn't time for a fire, so if you could suggest something i'd be grateful. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

This is the one I use.

www.gelert.com...

Its an excellent sleeping bag, packs down really small and only weighs 600g.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Over the years i've only ever used a two season sleeping bag, sometimes using a tent and other times using a fire.

Try adding a liner before you go to the expense of another bag,they,re cheap and they will effectively add another season to yours.
They pack tight too and you can lay on top of the bag for extra comfort using the liner as a blanket for hot nights.

Like I said. Mines a 3-season but its too hot for the liner even down to -5c ..These ratings are done 'clothes on' too..
Maybe I'm too hot blooded,but I'd freakin melt if I didn't go 'tackle out'..

Originally posted by fred3110
reply to

Its an excellent sleeping bag, packs down really small and only weighs 600g.

How small? mines quite 'large' at about 8" diameter 'stuffed'.

[edit on 26-6-2008 by AGENT_T]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join