It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Agent's 'kinda wild' U.K sit-x/survival...on a budget thread.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jon1

Gawd..it's embarrassing but I've had knives that ended up looking like that.

Brings up good points.. 'points' haha.. duh..

High Carbon knives rust like heck...
So if you can't keep them dry and sheathed..keep them oiled.
A lot of modern ones have a protective layer fortunately...

The rust problem is another good reason for not keeping them sharpened at too acute an angle.
This scrapes off a lot of the epoxy coating and exposes more metal to the elements.

You do NOT need a razor sharp finish on a larger knife.
Chopping with it will just end up chipping it.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Well i always used the cut paper test. If you hold out a piece of paper and your knife can slice it freely, then it's sharp enough for bushcraft. Obviously this doesn't make sense with a machete in a jungle, i'm just talking your average temperate woodland.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
First let me say that this is the greatest survival post I've read in a long time. Not as serious as some of the stodgy uber-survivalist condescensions I've seen elsewhere. Nice and "layman-ly" (is that even a word?).

Anyway, nice choice of knife Agent. The SOG SEAL knives are really magnificent. When we were deciding what knife would be in our supply issue we literally tested hundreds of designs from many different companies and SOG just killed it.

For those of you who may be "afraid" of large knives because of inexperience or because of the size making it harder to pack and conceal or any other reason you should know that SOG also makes a knife called the SEAL PUP. It's a scaled down version of the SEAL 2000. A shorter blade and a streamlined handle make it easy to use in ...ummm...certain situations I've come across in Afghanistan that may be experienced in a SIT/X environment.

Agent, can't wait for the rest of your knowledge to pour out onto this forum. It's about time someone tries to help the rest of us in survival without being a schizophrenic psycho about zombies running around....wait, you did mention zombies earlier didn't you?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Good post. I have to add that a great used RV can be had for in most cases less than 200 dollars a month. If the s hits the fan you won't have to worry about payments. If it never happens just go camping. There you can store much of what you need and have a "home" you can stash away in the woods. I know gun laws in the UK are rough, but they can be had. So get a shotgun, or even a .22 rifle. Anything that goes bang. First aid kits can be bought pretty cheap, and get a bunch of them. You can only live out of a tent for so long. I am seen people live in a RV for 20 years.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXMACHINEGUNDLR
a great used RV can be had for in most cases less than 200 dollars a month.

RV? $200 a month?

Dahn't make me laff geezah...wo'chou need is a Tranny innit..

...Picked up this cheeky li'ul runnah fer ahnly 200 nickah and she'll get you, your crew ahnd the bleedin' loot aht ov 'eafrow fahsta van you can bleedin fink

if it's a getaway motah yer aftah...you can't get much bett'ah

(as approved by Minder and The Sweeney)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Apex Predator

Thanks man but it was you guys that tested it and convinced me it was a wise decision.

I'll try and get part two up within a day or two covering the next few items from sleeping bag down over in importance..

BTW the zombie kangaroos are a real worry.. I'm trying to get a sighting to see what we're up against..

reply to post by TXMACHINEGUNDLR

Great thinking.

Your RV idea has been discussed 'behind the scenes'

I'm just not sure on the 'legality' if discussing it publicly.
I'd hate for anyone to get into bother for intention to defraud/deliberately default on credit payments..

But we've all thought of it..maxing out cards and doing a runner.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by citizen smith

Lavvvvlyy jabbbly

Hey did you just get in from work too?

Was just blown all the way up the road.. It's lovely and wild out tonight..

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
jesus Guv',
I ain't laughed so hard since Maggie slapped poll tax on us and the old bill got a bleeding good kicking for it in trafalger sqaure !

Priceless as a pair of pearlies.

As for high carbon blades, agreed - if you cannot look after them, don't use them. Mines three years old and used extensivley out doors.. lol but that battered old rusty b'tard...

Great thread, love it.

Got a CRKT ultima on order. full size semi serrated. SOG was too 'l337' for me.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dan Tanna
Got a CRKT ultima on order. full size semi serrated.

Wow man..that's one awesome looking handle..
The last time I saw treads like that was on my old desert bike..

You'll have to give us a road test report on how it handles in the muck and wet.
All weather grip.. woo..

My brother's looking to replace his old one I'll point him that way too.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Love the car! I was thinking about building one in a post sitX...it will run totally on leg power!

www.automotogadgets.com...

Haha I bet it would be a tight race

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I really think you should reconsider your knife choice, OP.
1. Large knives are very threatening and suspicious- even or especially to young fellows with machine guns.
2. Never ever carry military equipment if you can avoid it. Every geurrilla group and ionsurgency has lived off an invading 'host' at one time or another... and every military including 'yours' knows it; you may be shot summarily for simply being found with such a knife. 'Who did you kill to get this? ' is what your captors will be asking.
A smaller knife is great for everything except chopping down trees ( get a flexible wire style saw for that),
Good luck

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skelkie3
Never ever carry military equipment if you can avoid it.

This is why I opted for an 'innocent looking' backpack over a sturdy army style.
There's nothing more certain to attract attention than to dress like a Guerilla on maneuvers..and you certainly don't want to be waving ANY knife about anyway.

The scenario I am expecting most would leave police/army with enough on their hands with city riots/looting/violence/civil disturbance,so using valuable resources to go looking for someone minding their own business and camping out peacefully wouldn't (I hope) be a problem.

If any 'government Nazi-squads' happen upon my campsite then I'd disable them all with copious helpings of my 'snail and seaweed quiche'

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
1.) Military surplus knives: USA: For about $50 you can get a surplus "Calamus, NY" 6" blade solid tang black Parkerized Knife with a date of manufacture stamped on it and a sheath and sharpening stone. (The dated blade might get you out of a tight spot with a paranoid trooper especially if it says "1975" or "1980".)

2.) A sharp 2+ blade military pocket knife. In the states these stainless steel pocket knives may be stamped "U S A" (army), "U S N" (navy), "U S M C" (marine corps), and "U S A F" (air force). I have not seen any "U S C G" (coast guard). Beware of Chinese monkey copies where you can not grip the blade notch to open the knife.

3.) Leatherman Tool. Enough said.

4.) Mini Maglite 3AA cell LED flashlight and a dozen AA batteries.

5.) Small bottle with STRIKE ANYWHERE KITCHEN MATCHES. REAL MATCHES STRIKE ANYWHERE!!! Waterproof them by double dipping them in melted parafin wax.

6.) Magnesium fire starter. It will burn through aluminum foil or start water soaked newspaper burning. $5.

7.) Wire saw: Get the good braided wire Gili Saw. It can be streched into a bow saw.

8.) Best Books and Authors:
Eule Gibbons: "Stalking the Wild Asparagus", "Stalking the Blue Eyed Scallops"

John 'Lofty' Wiseman

Frank and John Craighead

Richard Graves: "Bushcraft" ("Australian Bushcraft") WWII U.S. Army Air Corps survival book.

Tom Brown jr: "The Tracker" (A biogaphical novel) and about 10 factual books on nature, observation, tracking and wild plants. You can also take take his classes.

9.) Have you considered taking a (discarded) bicyle towed baby cart and converting it to a hand cart with a plastic 55 galon drum for a cargo compartment? The baby carier provides two bicyle wheels and an axel. The barrel should have a screw on lid.

10.) One man storable meal: one Lipton Noodle and Sauce meal and a retortable pouch of tuna, salmon or chicken. (Retortable pouches are freeze proof, cans are not.) Warning: Store in a 30 galon lard tin as protection against GOURMET MICE. Store two or three a week.

11.) Solar water still kit. Twelve feet of plastic aquarium tubing (to harvest the water), eight foot square of light plastic (for still lid and condenser surface), a one quart plastic freezer box with snap on lid (for catch cup and container). Dig hole. Place catch cup in bottom of hole. Put tube in cup so you can sip water without opening still. Cover hole with plastic with cone point down over catch cup. Pile earth on edges of plastic.

I hope this is helpful.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   

2. Never ever carry military equipment if you can avoid it. Every geurrilla group and ionsurgency has lived off an invading 'host' at one time or another... and every military including 'yours' knows it; you may be shot summarily for simply being found with such a knife. 'Who did you kill to get this? ' is what your captors will be asking.

Here in the states that's not so true. We have military surplus stores all over the place. Someone having military stlye gear would be no issue at all. Now if you happen to be living in a M1 tank....

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Uhhhh huh I hear ya brother ! in the UK you start strolling around the mountains in full camo and bergen people start dialling funny numbers...

As for the knife... well keeping it out of view and just using it when needed is common sense...

(some thing that nine tenths of the UK population lack, the rest are here on ATS).

Whichever way you choose to dress, muted drab colours and no day glo!

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   

[Whichever way you choose to dress, muted drab colours and no day glo!

Oooo...get you Trinny, or is it Suzanna?

This season's' disaster-fashion is based on layering, assymetric earth-tone prints and utilitarian accessorising...

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:18 AM
link   

More 'straight eye for the survival guy' if you please!

Wanna go day glo ? you better hope the only thing hunting you is a deer!

This is NOT a good idea for being 'on the run' in... lol.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Dan Tanna]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Never ever carry military equipment if you can avoid it.

This is why I opted for an 'innocent looking' backpack over a sturdy army style.
There's nothing more certain to attract attention than to dress like a Guerilla on maneuvers..and you certainly don't want to be waving ANY knife about anyway.

The scenario I am expecting most would leave police/army with enough on their hands with city riots/looting/violence/civil disturbance,so using valuable resources to go looking for someone minding their own business and camping out peacefully wouldn't (I hope) be a problem.

If any 'government Nazi-squads' happen upon my campsite then I'd disable them all with copious helpings of my 'snail and seaweed quiche'

My thoughts exactly. Just go for plain old 'OGs' (Olive Greens), lightweights or grey moleskins as opposed to DPM. Nothing attracts more attention in the UK than some 'Rambo' running around the countryside in his DPM outfit.

My reasoning for this is that a military look is likely to display hostility to some people, whereas a more civilian look would be looked upon more favourably. By the way, I am not suggesting dressing up in dayglo pink or rescue orange/yellow either. You are better to go more for 'the country look' of drab greens, browns, russets etc. Oh, and dont forget your little 'black number' as well.

Which reminds me, does anyone know of any DPM/OG reversible gear in the UK. This was something that the German Army/SS were quite into during WW2. It has always struck me that it never really caught on in modern armies - 2 choices of tunic colours for the price of one.

[edit on 23/6/08 by Wotan]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:33 AM
link   

More 'straight eye for the survival guy' if you please!

That made me laugh so much I let out a bit of wee....

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Wanna go day glo ? you better hope the only thing hunting you is a deer!

Man I'd be scared even more if a 'Dear' was hunting me.

That jacket is a total rip of of my 'Mustad viking flotation suit' colour scheme..well last season's colours.. I really must try harder to be fashion concious.

Back in the windsurfing days I've found that dayglo pink and lemon were 'it'.
With lime green 'nappy' harness.
Accessorising was key..

You shudda seen the chicks running..

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join