It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As Phoenix Lander Finds Ice on Mars, Could a Real E.T. Be Next?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   

As Phoenix Lander Finds Ice on Mars, Could a Real E.T. Be Next?

www.popularmechanics.com

By Matt Sullivan
Published on: June 20, 2008

In a breakthrough that likely provides scientists with their best opportunity ever to investigate extraterrestrial life, NASA's Phoenix Mars Lander has apparently spotted liquid ice on Mars. If the robotic spacecraft can now reach out and grab the vaporized frozen water it first photographed five days ago, it will be "mission accomplished" for arguably the space agency's most important interplanetary research venture in a decade.

"These little clumps completely disappearing over the course of a few days, that is perfect evidence that it's ice," said Peter Smith, principal investigator for the Phoenix mission, which earlier this week had sparked a hot debate among researchers as to whether it had found ice—or scooped up disappearing chunks of a "sublimated" material that might have just been salt.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Hey Im new here but this is exciting! This maybe the first step toward conclusive proof of water and maybe life.

www.popularmechanics.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   
there may well be life but it is most likely to be bacterial / microbial life. Mars is not exactly a hospitable place for life to exist.....We need to be looking on Europa underneath the water ice crust of that planet and near to the core where there would be a source of warmth.

It really depends on whether it is H2O or CO2 ice......At present the surface temperature of Mars would not support liquid water.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I wonder how long before they release any information on the water... like they can test it in the rover and see if theres bacteria and stuff right?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
If Popular Mechanics is going to run a sensational title like that the least they could do is mention something even remotely related to extra-terrestial life in the piece. They must be in need of some extra add revenue this month.

God I hate that magazine...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

They did you needed to follow the links

Samples of ice could contain details of Martian climate change, preserved organic materials and pockets of vapor—potential clues as to whether or not the planet could have supported life.

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

They did you needed to follow the links

Samples of ice could contain details of Martian climate change, preserved organic materials and pockets of vapor—potential clues as to whether or not the planet could have supported life.

www.popularmechanics.com...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by rileytardell

I think most people would agree that there is a big difference in perception between microbial life forms and 'a Real ET'.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

First life we'll ever discover will be plants or insects. It does seem the source is way off the mark and is chasing headlines.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Yeah I guess the headline is sensationalistic... but did you really expect the Phoenix Lander to find a humanoid ET? I didn't so I wasn't disappointed. In fact this is more than I hoped for - they actually finally found some real water- they have been talking about FOR YEARS. Now it appears we have some. Cool... maybe it has single celled organisms?

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

First life we'll ever discover will be plants or insects. It does seem the source is way off the mark and is chasing headlines.

Why not bacteria or single celled life first. the odds are greater I think. It could even show up on a meteorite.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by rileytardell
Why not bacteria or single celled life first. the odds are greater I think. It could even show up on a meteorite.

Because I think we might already proved it does exist. Scientists do reckon single celled life are present in many places within our own system.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
The universe is teaming with inteligent life, nasa finding a microscopic maggot on mars is not gonna impress me.. They already know whats out there.. Why are they really up there? Or did they even go up there at all. How do you know your not looking at some plain in the nevada desert, With those silly pictures they give us...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite

No when we find life it will be abundant like our own planet.
Life as we know it follows evolutionary processes and develops over time, so for instance we have Human ver. 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 etc.

There has got to be an ET ver 1.0 2.0 3.0 4.0 etc.

Then you would have the offshoots the millions of types of insects, plants, animals, birds....

Then you would have all the dieseases, deformaties, psycologies etc...

So as Steven Hawking stated, contacting and engaging another world would mean disaster for both worlds in multiple ways. No contact is good contact.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I doubt NASA or the government will release information if they did find any Alien lifeform in space, unless it's some kind of bacteria or plants or insects. But if it walks and is a threat or even a friend, don't expect us to hear about it on the news asap.

Our government won't let us find out the truth but perhaps....our little friends in space will let us know before our own species lets us know. meh?

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 10:26 PM
link   
So have they released anything? I mean they have the ice right? what's up? I havent heard squat about the results. Anybody?

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I personally think what we are seeing unfolding here is Cosmic Journey Mk 2. For those of you who dont know what Cosmic Journey is, then i suggest you read Timothy Good's book Ailen Liasion. But in a nutshell it is a deliberate staged disclosure step by step. First you have the announcement of a find, so water ice on Mars is ideal. Secon the discovery of simple cell life form is announced. People can handle that as single cell life forms are not a threat in the minds of most people. Then give or take a few years and you have a radio signal from another civilisation. And then finally you have First Contact ie the perverbial landing on the White House lawn or other global icon. Already we are being prepared, the Vatican gives the green light, Govt has released info on UFO sightings. And reports of UFO's are increasing. Folks all of this are the hallmarks of Cosmic Journey Mk 2 in full swing. We live in exciting times.

new topics

top topics

join