It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Posting Pariah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Does anybody else find that when they post to a thread, all discussion seems to stop?

Avidly debated subjects suddenly become becalmed and dead in the water.

Not so much a conspiracy theory... maybe just a Posting Pariah?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:04 AM
link   
We prefer the term "threadkiller" thanks.
And it's usually either because we post such wonderful posts full of information that no one can debate us, or because people are laughing too hard at us to post anything, and when they go to post later they reread what we wrote and start laughing again.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Haha! Perhaps I should get out a bit more...

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Ironically this was one of the longest running threads on the boards for awhile.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Fantastic! I missed that one!

May the Thread-Killers live long and prosper!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SugarCube

I've had that feeling myself but I think it's more like when people want to have a good time and the crazy drunk uncle walks in, starts talking inappropriate crap and the room goes silent while everyone tries to bore him into leaving. They'd rather not confront him, even though he's a nice guy and perhaps a little socially inept, because something about him scares everybody. Really though, he means no harm and if you get to know him better he might be more interesting than you think. When the chips are down and the fair-weather friends have left, he'll be the one you can count on.

Oh, wait took this too seriously and embarrased myself?

[edit on 1/22/2010 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Holy back from the dead thread, Batman! Sugarcube ironically killed this thread nearly two years ago, but EnlightenUp seems to have found the defibrillator.

It's alive! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Holy back from the dead thread, Batman! Sugarcube ironically killed this thread nearly two years ago, but EnlightenUp seems to have found the defibrillator.

It's alive! IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!

Hmmm. I thought I might practice my thread resurrection skills. We'll see if it's been gone too long to be wise to do so and whether or not it has to be put down again. Undead zombie threads eat CPUs.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I have felt the same on some threads.

Sometimes I get sick of a thread and stop.

Sometimes I screw up and stop posting.

But on 2 occasions, I went in to help a guy I thought was being mobbed, and killed his thread. I felt like #

Now I try to mind my own business.

Threadkillers are par for the course.

What we all need is thick skin, and a little decorum. Myself included.

Ziggy Strange

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
In all my incarnations, I have always either been a 'troll' or threadkiller. Either a thread would blow up in my general direction, or it'd die completely.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Often I find myself wondering if the next words I type should be "Is this thing on!?"

It happens.

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 08:39 PM
link   
(brushes the dust off the keyboard)

Let's end this thread now..

What I believe is the fact that threads die are pure chance, a roll of the dice if you will, sometimes it could just be cloud cover, a malfunctioning signal light, flight delays at the local airport, all of these things can in one way or another affect thread response.

To summize ( has everyone abandoned this yet?), I would like to say thanks to the entire membership for the time they take to visit ATS & BTS and would hope that..

In the future, all of your threads remain alive and full of replies

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I am a master thread-killer.

I can't really say why (a natural talent), but I'd be interested to hear opinions if anyone wants to try and take a stab (tee hee) at it.

Peace
KJ

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Ultimately all things must die even threads.

There is a limit to pertinent and relevant and even blatantly off topic information that once everything is touched on there just is nothing left to add.

In my own observations even the most relevant and thought provoking threads have at best about a three day limit before they reach the saturation point of where everything that could possibly be said on the subject pro and con is touched upon, debated, and then debated some more.

After three days if a thread is still going its usually limping on by way of dysfunctional personality attacks between a couple to a handful of members over some trivial point of contention between them, that at those points centers more on what those posters don’t like about the other poster’s presentation style, techniques, or sources.

Some really good threads garner very little interest at all because there is no emotional hot button in it. Some really good threads garner very little interest because the subject matter is of either to deep, or too out there nature for a lot of members to even think of a response or want to add one. Some threads garner very little interest because the subject is so open and shut there is next to nothing to debate about it or add to it.

If you like the challenge of posting to a purely intellectual thread with no emotional hot button, and issues that you either have to some very significant depth of knowledge or imagination to touch upon, or like adding a tidbit to a thread where the Original Poster or Article or Video pretty much says it all you just can’t expect a whole lot of attention or accolades in that.

The good news is though if you like reading everything because you like learning about everything, then your time was well worth it.

The bad news is that if you are just simply bored and lonely and looking for someone to interact with, then you just end up writing responses for yourself, to yourself pretty much like I am now.

Earth come in earth, calling earth, is there anyone there, hello earth, earth please respond

[edit on 23/1/10 by ProtoplasmicTraveler]

posted on Jan, 23 2010 @ 03:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ProtoplasmicTraveler

Not on earth right now, sorry. L1-Lagrangian station went online last Tuesday (secret, to be announced in the press soon but I gave you a sneak peek) and I am responsible for maintaining the fermentation module.

Anyway, yes. Some people hold long-standing grudges against other members for being a true and genuine thorn. Personally, I don't find it worthwhile; it's just a forum and discussion is its purpose.

I find Philsophy, Psychology and Metaphysics tends to elicit more genuine and creative responses than many other forums that rely on prefabricated assumptions and misrepresentations to hold together an implicative chain. Those topics lack that "hot button" or at times may be "too hot to touch" for many.

Oddly enough I haven't given much thought to the thread Since when did deep thinkers become the crazy people? Perhaps it is replete with replies from self-identified Gallileos? I had better go see rather than assume.

[edit on 1/23/2010 by EnlightenUp]

top topics

join