It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops pay 3 a.m. visit to tell man his door is unlocked

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by slackerwire

And then all the kids (even the friends) would be taken by CPS, Grandma's engagement ring confiscated, etc...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I can guarantee that if this went before a court, the judge would rule that the officers were right. Enough reasonable suspicion or probable cause was established.

Absolutely. In the interest of public safety and the welfare of those children in the home.

Peace

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by watch_the_rocks

Just cause they walk around in a police uniform with a badge and a gun doesn't make these people, good people.

Never EVER forget that!

You have NO idea how many police officers murder others and get away with it. It's just filed under casualties when they get caught.

They steal, rape and murder just like criminals. There is a very, VERY thin line between a good cop and a bad cop or a criminal.

There isn't any honor in being a police officer anymore. The cops are corrupt and useless.

I'm not going to generalize but, police isn't what most people like to believe. They are sometimes THE ACTUAL Threat and not the help you are looking for.

The standards and quality have become so poor that they'll take anyone off the streets these days and give thema badge and a uniform. Same goes for soldiers.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Element-115

That is an extreme overexaggeration. Police and Soldiers are mostly regular people.

The only standards that have sunk are those of our American Culture and Society, which have sunk into Moral Depravity, Mindless Consumerism, Mass Apathy and Denial.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
In every state that I know of one cannot use deadly force to protect property. There has to be a threat to personal safety or life (though breaking into a house qualifies as it is reasonable to fear for ones life in those situations).
[edit on 22-6-2008 by Sonya610]

In Texas, you can not only use deadly force to protect your property, but your neighbor's property as well.

law.onecle.com...

That said, how many of you have ever actually had someone walk in your house in the middle of the night? You most likely won't be in the mood to politely call out, turn on the light, and see who it is.

I had someone enter my apartment one night because I left the door unlocked. That was my fault, but that doesn't give a person an excuse to walk in to my bedroom, and it doesn't mean I'm encouraging crime. A criminal already has the intent, or he wouldn't be out looking for open doors in the middle of the night.
Here is how things went:
*Bump*
What was that? Cat. No, door hitting stereo speaker. Someone is in here.
*Hand reached for gun on headboard*
I moved the gun when I cleaned!
Go to the kitchen, get a knife.
*Grabbed the biggest knife with both hands, braced my feet and waited*
Voice: "It's me, I'm too drunk to drive home!"
*Lowered knife and took a BIG breath.*
It was some guy I worked with who thought he would be better off sleeping it off on my couch.

If a cop had knocked on my door, shouted and asked if everything was ok, or done anything to get my attention rather than walk to my bedroom it would have been understandable to me, but the night I wake up to someone at my bedroom door, I'm not going wait to see who it is.

I can't believe cops wouldn't know better than this. Probable cause? No blood, no broken anything, no freaked out or hurt kids. So that made them think they should walk up to the bedroom? I don't believe that they couldn't wake up the adults---unless the adults were deaf. I betcha that little old me could yell loud enough to not only wake them up, but the neighbors as well. They could have turned on the siren and lights, insisted that the kids wake the adults, got the phone number from the kids and called the house, etc..

I don't buy this idea that these cops walked all the way to a bedroom, like some kind of benevolent father figures, making sure the good people were tucked soundly in bed. This fits right in with the process of softening up the sheeple for the police state we are headed toward. I sent the article to a friend and she didn't see anything wrong because their actions could have protected the kids from a molester. Sure, while we're at it, let's microchip and tattoo kids. That would protect them too. Heck that's what I've done to my horses and dogs.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

I don't buy this idea that these cops walked all the way to a bedroom, like some kind of benevolent father figures, making sure the good people were tucked soundly in bed. This fits right in with the process of softening up the sheeple for the police state we are headed toward.

I agree 100%.There is no way this should be legal.

It really bothers me that people cant see that this is a violation.If I want to leave my door unlocked thats my right,period.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

if the police were just regular people they wouldnt screen the applicants first . they wouldnt run psycological tests ,background checks or credit checks or anything else for that matter and would allow just any joe become an officer . so dont come off by saying that they are regular ol people mike . they have to fit the little borderline nazi mold to qualify as an officer . someone who has no problem comming thru someones door in the middle of the night and make up some B.S. story that they thought the citizen was in need of an officers intervention .

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Screening has nothing to do with some weird mold. Those checks and tests are there to make sure that Felons, people without outstanding legal issues, non Citizens, false identities, people suffering from mental illness, are not made into police. We can't have delusional, paranoid schizophrenics trying to enforce the law or people with felonies.

There is very little discrimination other than criminal records and mental illness. It doesn't really matter what the person's race/ethnicity, faith (or lack of), political party, or personality is.

I have seen this first hand, working with people from various backgrounds from conservatives to liberals, from christians to pagans, from your gung ho jock types who are physically loud and aggressive to more intellectual types who are basically computer geeks. Some have college, some dont. Some like guns, hunting, and sports. Some would rather play video games and work on import cars. It is a very wide array of people.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It seems obvious to me that this is a psychological operation. The cops were only given enough information about it to feel justified in doing what they did. The chief who gave the order was only given enough information to feel justified in doing what he did.

Apparently, someone, somewhere, has decided that all of the tools of psychological warfare are going to waste... and they have decided to ply them now on us. To what purpose?

You intentionally insert an irritant in order to elicit a self-defense response. So, why do they want to provoke a self-defense response?

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
This was a fishing expedition, you see it happen all the time through different means.

You give the illusion of offering a public service 'for the people's own good', what this does is bring you in close proximity to somewhere you might not have had access to in the past. Once you do a little snooping around chances are you come up with some people to arrest.

e.g., 'smelling marijuana' from inside, IDing the homeowner and finding out they have an active warrant, 'seeing' contraband, 'suspicious behavior', etc...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Here is the way I see it..

If these cops start doing this more often, then when someone is REALLY being robbed they are going to question themselves and think if it could be the police or not. This fleeting moment of questioning could be all it takes to get yourself killed if it just happens to be a real burglar with a gun. Especially in a area riddled with crime, these people do not need to be second guessing themselves in life and death situations. When you have the chance to eliminate a threat inside your household, yet fail to because you fear it may just be one of these no-knock police operations - this is exactly what the criminals would want - hesitation and a public that is scared to shoot because it may be a cop telling you that you're car lights are on.

I see no good coming from this, and its a shame that no one will challenge the polices actions until someone gets wrongly killed.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

A bit trigger happy? Brother if you come in my house w/o my permission or a warrant I have the right to shoot. I would never live anywhere where that wasn't the case.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I think thats wrong for the cops to be stepping for on anyones property without probably cause... I know they can't visually see that peoples doors are locked or not, and its none of their business, but to put their hands and the doors and seriouly start reefing on them till they open or not is really just doing a B&E... bunch of idiots should start thinking about peoples privacy, i'd seriously snap hardcore if i heard rustling at my door..

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jprophet420

I understand your outrage at such a thing completely, but you (and many others here) seem to believe that shooting a cop who has entered your house without a warrant is within your legal rights. Sorry bud, but that's not even close to the reality we live in.

Let's imagine for a moment that you were the man of the house in this case. The cop/s entered your room to wake you and you shot him/them as they entered. How in the hell do you suppose you are going to convince a jury that your life was in jeopardy and you killed two cops in self defense (supposing that you even survive the encounter).

I'm sorry but that is not the way things work. Unfortunately, cops are often given a pass for an accidental killing, on the other hand, when was the last time you saw ANYONE get a pass for killing a cop.

Does. Not. Happen. Lotta bravado here on this thread but critical thinking seems to have gone by the wayside. In my own experience, people who have shot a cop are either soon to be dead, or soon to wish they were.

I don't often side with the police on matters of intrusion, but in this particular case the only law which was broken was that of common sense.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Hm. Common sense? How about common decency? Having strangers walk into your house at 3:00 am to warn you that your door should be locked is like having a mob heavy break your knee and then suggest that you need "protection". This one has me stumped. It isn't sane. It is literally insane from any point of view apart from one so horrendous it doesn't bear mentioning.

Really, I am getting more and more confused by this. When cops tasered a 9-year-old in school, there was a similar backlash from citizens wondering where the hell common sense and decency went. The typical response is, "Well, we just need to adjust the training."

Friends, I think that training has nothing to do with it. If a trainee enters a law enforcement school or academy and doesn't already know that a taser shouldn't be used on a child, or that you shouldn't go strolling into citizens' homes at 3:00 for no good reason, then that trainee should be shown the door. In this case, I think there is a Police Chief who needs to be shown the door, and city council members as well, if they don't respond to this outrage.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by applebiter]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Here you go SystemK. The homeowner in this story shot two cops & though they didn't die because they had armor on, the shooter was never charged with any crime as it should be.

Another Homeowner shoots police and doesn't get charged.

I'm aware of another botched drug raid about a year ago where the lead cop through the door was killed and nobody was charged, because they didn't announce themselves properly. As soon as I find it I will post it.

I've read enough post here by probable registered voters like myself who are jurors, to tell me that they would have a hard time convicting a homeowner as it only takes one juror to hang the jury.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by verylowfrequency]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

VLF, I stand humbly corrected. Thanks for the "education".

I've never heard of a justified police shooting, though I should have known better than to post a statement like that based upon my own experience without further research. Thanks for "ringin' my bell" so to speak.

On the other hand, I still feel that some are taking this way out of context. If the guy would have been arrested over this I assure you I would be screaming bloody murder. As it stands, I still believe it was just a case of bad judgement on the part of the cops.

For the record, I've posted several threads which were extremely critical of cops for their actions. I'm not an apologist in general, this is just a case in which I take exception.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   
There is a difference between raiding the wrong house, and going into a house because something suspicious is going on. In a raid they enter fast by breaking down the door, and the occupant often has no time asses the situation. Also when the police raid the wrong house they are completely in the wrong as they had neither reasonable suspicion nor probable cause to enter that residence.

I have asked two of my LEO friends about this case since yesterday, and both have stated that these cops had every right to enter the house based on reasonable suspicion caused by the scene they observed from outside. And they are not even from that state.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
There wasnt a doorbell? like they couldnt have been loud or waken a kid up first then enter someones bedroom.

Even if u have right to shoot them, youll still go to jail. Welcome to the twisted police state.

Ive known people who get attacked and they defend themselves and win. But nobody cares, youre just guilty because the other guys all beat up.

I got in a fight in high school. Dude punched me first. It ended up getting broken up, but the other guy was a bit more hurt than me. They interviewed us both and decided to give me community serivce, he got nothing.

There were loads of witnesses. For some reason they believed his story. I had some cuts on my hand from his braces. Like right away I could tell they were suspicious of me. Like try interviewing some non biased witnesses or something. Do some investigation work u lazy cops.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join