It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops pay 3 a.m. visit to tell man his door is unlocked

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Spoontoad

just because that happened in another town doesn't mean that it is going to happen to every home that leaves there garage door open .
that is still not probable cause . probable cause is not based on hunches but on facts my friend . who would have guessed small town mentality would be the demise of our fourth amendment rights.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
This is dumb, a lot of talk about killing the cops for entering the house, how dumb that is? stop the nonsense.

If you're a cop, and see a door open at three am, what should you do? go away without even trying to see if everything is ok? let's see, if you were being kidnapped or murdered inside, and the cops went away, or just write a note and leave there, would you be happy about it? or you would be happy they got in just in case something was wrong.

And i am almost pretty sure they called up the owners of the house before entering, i don't think they just got inside like that and went upstairs without first trying to get an answer from inside, or maybe they did at first, and entered the house, then noticed the children and decided to go up and wake up the owners to prevent them about the risk, maybe they should have just enter the house, see what was going on, then leave closing the door after them, yeah, that would be better, and i guess if there was a security camera, as some homes have, that would look very cool in the morning when checking the video tape.

What a nonsense, guess you can never make everyone happy right?

Kai

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:01 PM
link   
The officers involved didnt mean any harm by what they did, they were just trying to help a community out by letting home owners know the possible danger of leaving a door unlocked at night. Imagine if they had been robbers or murderers or kidnappers instead of police? 4 kids could have been harmed or even killed. Bottom line is that they only meant good by what they did, no matter how "invasive" it was. If it was my home, i would have thanked them before they left, and then locked my door.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

even if they did call and got no answer an open door at someones house does not give probable cause to enter . like i said before , what if you and your spouse were naked and making love and they walked in on you would you thank them then ? i think not . i refuse to have my fourth amendment rights taken away because some cop thinks i should have my doors closed and or locked while i am at home sleeping or nor .

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan
If you're a cop, and see a door open at three am, what should you do? go away without even trying to see if everything is ok? let's see, if you were being kidnapped or murdered inside, and the cops went away, or just write a note and leave there, would you be happy about it? or you would be happy they got in just in case something was wrong.

Yes, statistics have shown that 98% of those that leave a door unlocked are slaughtered in their sleep.

Are you for real?

Edit I am arguing with the individual posters opinion, if in fact the cops woke a kid up and asked him to wake his parents and he did not, that is way different than stalking around an empty house.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Can you show me specifically in the wikipedia article what your trying to convey?

I'm guessing your not aware of the emergency aid doctrine or the Brigham City v. Stuart Supreme Court case.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

it has taken you all of this time to look that up and post it ? i've already written you off as a fraud there guy .

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
this is not the exact same situation but on a website from canada about 3 days ago was the news of a swat team invasion during the night into the wrong house-------the guy did have a handgun and he shot dead the first officer that entered their bedroom-------this took place about a year ago.

the trial/judge verdict was not guilty------the man and his wife thought they were being the victims of an ever increasing crime in canada called a home invasion which the gangs of youths there are doing more frequently these days.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SystemiK
reply to post by slackerwire

Feeling a bit trigger happy are we? Last time I checked, shooting a cop for 'breaking numerous laws' was not advisable. In fact I'm fairly certain they didn't break any laws at all.

I would like to know more about this public service campaign though if anyone here lives in the area.

Whoa, hold up... they didn't break any laws at all? .. listen to yourself......

They entered someones house WITHOUT permission.. there's a DOOR there for a reason... so people KNOCK, not just let themselves in.. I am certain for those of you who do not have a lock on your bathroom door that that doesn't mean anyone is free to enter the bathroom while you are taking a crap or having a shower...

They are just people who are acting like police officers just the same as your local hamburger slinger is just some pimple faced teenager not some magical hamburger flipping genius because they watched a few videos and were trained on the grill.. They just follow directions like the rest of us humans, they aren't SUPERMEN by any means.... They are just highly trained humans who have to obey the laws they are there to "enforce" .. As most people already think, we shouldn't have to lock our doors to begin with..

[edit on 6/21/2008 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Under the emergency aid, or medical emergency, doctrine, law enforcement officers may enter a dwelling without a warrant. The emergency aid doctrine strikes a balance between the rights protected by the Fourth Amendment and the interests of government to access a dwelling to safeguard the well-being of citizens. The doctrine permits police to make "warrantless entries and searches when they reasonably believe that a person within is in need of immediate aid ... [because] '[t]he need to protect or preserve life or avoid serious injury is justification for what would be otherwise illegal absent an exigency or emergency.

leaving the front door unlocked or ajar and leaving the garage door open does not qualify for the emergency aid doctrine mikeboyd .
you see those are the tactic that law enforcement tries to pull on people who are either to lazy to look these things up or are to poor to be able to investigate them .
so NO this does not even remotely fall under the category of emergency aid . but that was a good try maybe you should use that one at work on some unsuspecting fool .

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
Yes, statistics have shown that 98% of those that leave a door unlocked are slaughtered in their sleep.

Are you for real?

You got it all backwards, my point is exactly that 98% of the people would not have the garage door wide open at 3 am, so, if your are a cop and while going through the street you happen to find this, then what you do?

I know it is very stupid to go inside a house like that with flashlights, if there was something wrong going on inside, whoever is doing it is probably armed and aware of the cops location, so that could probably result in the death of some of the cops.

But, in this case, i think there has to be understood that leaving without trying to make sure everything is ok, may be necessary, and leaving a note on the door is not really a solution.

Kai

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaifan

well then how about bringing your tool box up to the garage and determining if it was broken and stuck in the up position . now that would be a true good deed .

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by slackerwire
Homeowner should have shot the cops.

They broke numerous laws by entering his house.

I agree. I wonder if the cops had their weapons drawn when they opened the bedroom door. What if he and the Mrs. were having a private moment? IMHO, TOTALLY unacceptable. Those police officers should be brought up on trespassing charges at the minimum.

Edit for add... I can keep my garage door open 24/7 IF i so choose to. That is the point.

[edit on 6/21/2008 by Illuminated_1]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
I think that the people who are assuming that the guy is a bad parent for not being responsible enough to lock the front door are forgetting all about the fact that there were 4 children in the house having a sleep over...what do children do at a sleep over?...they have fun, play games, mess with stuff....maybe the children were telling scary stories and dared on of the other children to look out the front door and then they got scared and ran away from the door and hid under the covers with their friends....and they did the same thing with the garage door too.
Maybe the adult in question here did everything he was supposed to have done, locked all the doors and made sure everthing was secure before telling the kids not to burn the house down while he was asleep....then the kids went wild and had fun and left some doors open...this does not give the police the right to come on in....they should have at least knocked a little harder and yelled into the home "POLICE!...IS EVERYONE OK IN HERE!"...then repeated this until the children woke up and insisted that the children go get the adult.
Police are like VAMPIRES imo, they can not enter your home until you invite them to do so.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here is my take on the situation..

If I want to leave my garage door open, or my front door unlocked, that is my choice and should not give police reason to walk into my house unannounced. I have read stories of cops doing warrentless entrys only to have the home owner be armed - the cops shot him eight times and charged the man with aggrevated assault against police officers for pointing a gun at them. Are they TRYING to make people criminals?

I actually feel the need to buy a gun now just because of these so called warrentless searches, and the fact that police are just walking into peoples houses unannounced. If I hear footsteps and see a flashlight at 3 AM inside my house, you better believe that person is getting either a) shot b) stabbed c) blunt force trauma to the head. The police are totally irrisponsible for what they are doing, and should maybe use a tiny bit of brain power before making such stupid decisions.

This type of behavior is only going to result in innocent people being killed, hurt, or put in jail for defending their own property against an unknown assailant.

What if this type of practice becomes common place, and someone REALLY finds a burglar in their house? By them hesitating because they do not want to risk harming a police officer, they themselves may be killed because they did not act fast enough to eliminate the threat inside their house. Because of this, a father and his children are potentially dead.

Its sad to say, but until a few police are shot dead due to such stupid practices, this will continue.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by ironman433

Do you expect me to sit by and monitor ATS constantly? I make a post and come back. As far as I know its how most people that use ATS use the forum. Its been that way for me since 2004.

So can you explain how exactly that equals fraud?

Or is this your way side stepping the emergency aid doctrine and a Supreme Court case that shows that this kind of activity does not violate the fourth amendment?

I just dont see the logic ( or lack there of) that many people are using in this thread. We live in a violent society with numerous sadistic criminals.
I would rather the police intervene on a person's behalf. Home invasions and other comparable crimes are very real and happen everyday in this country.

I would rather think that at least I tried to help, than do nothing. It would be better to act and have a false alarm than the alternative.

[edit on 21/6/08 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Uhu, well from what I can see - they were just doing the guy a favour. It's not as though they tried anything on, like searching through hist stuff or whatever. They seen a bunch of 7 year olds and probably thought "Hmm, this guys forgot to lock his door, this could be a disaster in the making with all these kids lying around in there - best go let him know before something bad happens!"

Imagine if they had left a note on the door, " Hey, police were here earlier and your door wasn't locked! Just thought we'd let you know! ", then one of those kids were abducted during the night! The community would demand to know why the police hadn't done something about it

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
I just dont see the logic ( or lack there of) that many people are using in this thread. We live in a violent society with numerous sadistic criminals.
I would rather the police intervene on a person's behalf.

Exactly! And how often do police officers just "happen by" to interrupt and save civililans that are being slaughtered by sadistic criminals in their house? Virtually NEVER. In fact anyone that plans to use their phone to protect themselves from a violent attack by calling the police is a fool. You claim to be a cop yet you do not realize that bad things happen VERY FAST??

When someone breaks into your home at 3 am you assume THEY are the sadistic criminal! Sheesh i have a very hard time believing you were actually a cop. Didn't they teach you anything about survival?

[edit on 21-6-2008 by Sonya610]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The police were certainly doing their job correctly to notice the open garage door and take a look to see if anything was wrong, but in the absence of any evidence that there was a crime taking place, to enter the house was a huge mistake and one that put their own lives, and those of everyone in the house in danger. This is the problem with a nanny-state. The gov is hell bent to help you whether you need it or not, and whether it actually harms you or not. Of course this nannying business is really just a means to reach the real goal; total control.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by watch_the_rocks
I think it is unfortunate that these police officers are receiving so much criticism for attempting to make their community safer. No, they should not have entered the house, but - in my view anyway - it is better them than thieves/rapists/child molesters.

So you have no problem with these police officers trespassing, breaking and entering into a mans home, when no crime was committed? With no warrant? How did this guy know it was the police that broke into his home? What if he thought it was burglars and shot them to death?

For one the police chose a great time to invade this mans home. They took a big risk doing it as well. If it was my home they broke into they wouldn't be alive as I would have perceived them as criminals and they would have been shot on site purely for self defense.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join