It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

free market freedom

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:17 AM
link   
As an entrepreuer who uses every dollar to his own means, I have something to say.
There are people who sell products and they make money on these products, very good money.
These are the big box boys. Outside of a lineup, they got nothing on the small town guy. However, they will sell to you and I, and that is a fact.
I am not afraid of big box stores. In fact, I welcome them as they set the bar for me to beat and exceed.
I am tired of being told what to buy and when, tired of pressures and commercials that they say amount to my worth as a man by ones and zeroes.

I have taken a company and have given the same product less 30 percent retail and still pay myself well.

Guys and gals, bring back the old hardware stores, bake shops. Because I will support them.

Look at what you love doing and sell it.
Am I alone on this.... I think not

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by luckyfourteen

Luckyfourteen. With the rise of the cost of fuel, citys are no longer cost effective. I know that sounds like heresy but the times they are a changing.

In a market where transportation is cheap, a city is economical relative to more highly dispersed areas.

When fuel is precious, those less dense areas must begin to produce and consume locally and end the high dependence upon transportation. In this scenario the city becomes relatively high cost, because it cannot adapt to the new paradigm. Add to that the inherent vulnerability of density, and it is fair to say that your wish will soon be granted.

We are entering a new age where manufacturing capability is approaching a level where generalized machines can manufacture custom one offs locally. Perhaps we will once again begin to value the individual, and dependence upon corporations will diminish. The versatility of available product will continue to increase. The dependence upon remote mass production and every item coming from a specialized remote manufacturer will become uncompetitive, and obsolete.

Why import that shovel from China, when Bob down the street can run off the handle, and Bill next door can run any one of a thousand prints you desire through the metal fab. Charley across the street can do the assembly and you can have a beer together when he drops it off this afternoon.

I seriously thought that the government would realize the insanity of citys and the paradigm shift after 9/11. But old men are seriously slow to adapt.

Some things take generations, and sometimes you need to wait for the old men to die off before sanity catches up with change.

new topics

join