It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Flordia Court, Blackwater Demands Islamic sharia Law

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   

It may seem strange then that Presidential Airways, a Blackwater sister company also owned by Erik Prince, is arguing in a Florida courtroom that its contractors in Afghanistan should be tried under Islamic Sharia law—you know, the legal code of the Taliban. The case deals with a 2004 incident, detailed in a memorandum (.pdf) released last October by Rep. Henry Waxman's Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, in which contractor pilots took a low-altitude joy ride through an uncharted area of the Afghan mountains, colliding with one of them and killing everyone aboard, including U.S. soldiers. The families are now suing Presidential Airways for damages.

Are they serious, how low can blackwater be. They are saying they should be tried under Islamic law in a U.S. courtroom. Wonder how this will pan out?

Article

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Blackwater must think that they have a better chance of winning the case under sharia law for some reason, but I don't know why that would be, but it has to be true, or they wouldn't try to get it.

I have to wonder, though, because it does bring up the question of jurisdiction. Should Blackwater be charged in the USA or in the countries that it commits crimes in? If it is the company itself or the executives that they are charging, then it should be taken care of in a US court, with US laws, but if it is a case of individual employees committing crimes in Iraq or wherever else, they should be charged in the country that the crime occurred. At least that's my take on it.

I'd be in favour of any jurisdiction that actually makes Blackwater take some accountability for its actions, though.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
And my tax dollars are helping to pay for this?

The company also plans to ask a judge to dismiss the lawsuit on the constitutional grounds that a court should not interfere in military decision-making.

I found this to be interesting, too. So, a private company is as good as the US military "decision-making"? Bah, they're pirates with a letter of marque.

Such silliness. What weinies.
Of course, with their Washington patron's corrupt nature, I am not surprised by Blackwater's contempt for American values of decency.

join