It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vero Possumus??????

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why would there be a law against someone replicating the Presidential Seal? Does that make sense? To what purpose?

Is this a "respect thing", or something to do with pragmatics (like implying some endorsement, where none exists?)

I know this is a lot of questions, but I think they are all pertinent.

#

I think using the Presidential Seal in your logo is a bit tacky.

I also think, as per usual, FlyersFan is overreaching -- but it's okay -- these posts continue to make me laugh, and they always give me pause for thought.

(I doubt anyone cares what I think about this, so I share THAT with FlyersFan.)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Buck Division
Why would there be a law against someone replicating the Presidential Seal? Does that make sense? To what purpose?

Is this a "respect thing", or something to do with pragmatics (like implying some endorsement, where none exists?)

As I read the law, it's about both impersonating a government agency AND the implication that the government approves or endorses something or someone. I don't think Obama is doing either.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

As I read the law, it's about both impersonating a government agency AND the implication that the government approves or endorses something or someone. I don't think Obama is doing either.

If it is about impersonating a government agency, why is there any objection to this use? It is not like this was a case of someone stamping a Presidential Seal on a coffee cup, and then selling on eBay....

Also, the logo is clearly quite different from the Presidential Seal. To be guilty of impersonating a government agency, I would think it would have to conform much more closely, wouldn't it?

No. I think the law is mainly to enforce respect in our government institutions (for whatever good a law like that will actually do.) The objection voiced in this thread is that Obama has disrespected a symbol of the US government. (I think.)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

If it is about impersonating a government agency, why is there any objection to this use?

Because people who hate Obama are watching everything he does to find fault with it (and going WAY overboard IMO).

Also, the logo is clearly quite different from the Presidential Seal. To be guilty of impersonating a government agency, I would think it would have to conform much more closely, wouldn't it?

I totally agree. But some people (like I said, people who are Anti-Obama) are making the judgment that it looks just like the Presidential seal and that Obama should be arrested.

No. I think the law is mainly to enforce respect in our government institutions (for whatever good a law like that will actually do.) The objection voiced in this thread is that Obama has disrespected a symbol of the US government. (I think.)

You could be right. I don't get the objection, myself. I don't see it as disrespecting a symbol of the government any more than these items disrespect a symbol...

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

First, I am not voting for Obama.

This does not violate the law you are concerned about. You must not have read it? You really should read it. In fact it does not even apply as this seal does not resemble the presidential seal other than the eagle and it's being round like countless other seals. Its not even in the ballpark of a copyright issue either.

You will do far better by sticking to facts and the truth. It was enough to stop me from voting for him. This kind of nonsense just helps him.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I would like to say that every Country has symbols to denote pride and patriotism. The Presidential Seal is one of those symbols and it is illegal to defame it. If I had done it, my next door neighbor could report me to the Attorney General and I would be arrested. I would be facing up to 6 months in prison plus a monetary fine.

I was appalled that Obama had so blatantly took it upon himself to use the seal for his own purposes. I believe it is his intention to use it as a subliminal message as well as a forewarning that he will change it, if he were to become president (of course, he would say when he is president).

I wrote to NBC, CBS, and ABC on June 21, 2008:

Okay, Senator Obama has been testing all the TV networks to see how far he could go, just like a little child. Now, it's time to wake-up and smell the coffee!

Senator Obama pulled the race card and got Imus fired. Is the news media that afraid of this man!? He has been given carte blanche while the American people have had to watch in disgust the deliberate cover-ups to squash or make light of Senator Obama's remarks, gaffees, and he didn't mean this or that. He is constantly flip-flopping and without a teleprompter he can't talk. The thought of him as commander-in-chief and ambassador for foreign affairs is mind-boggling to say the very least.

For months now, the media has made flagrant attempts to push Senator Obama down our throats. Take off your sunglasses, please!!! He is not the official nominee although the TV media seems to have wanted to coronate him since the North Carolina primaries.

Now, Senator Obama wants to change the Presidential Seal. Aren't the TV networks leary of Senator Obama's so-called change yet!?!? When can the American people expect to hear the news media to finally challenge Obama with critical thinking?

Every media network is flushing the United States of America down the toilet.

Inspite of your biased coverage and personal choice, it will be the American People who will not allow Senator Obama or the TV Media Networks to ruin our Great Nation!!!

PS: Just incase someone asks which American people, I know of at least 18+ million voters who have cast their vote for Senator Hillary Clinton because of what they have seen and heard concerning Obama (I used to give him his designated title to show my respect, can't do it anymore.)

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:12 PM
link   
You should think about changing the title of the thread to be a bit more descriptive!

In any case. The audacity. Here we go:

Here are some of things Obama stripped/added to the Presidential Seal:

Other Obama changes to the seal include the removal of the shield over the eagle's breast, representing the president's oath to defend the Constitution

The shield has been replaced with the letter "O" -- presumably for Obama --and the image of a rising sun.

The rising Sun is a NWO symbol. Not defending the Constitution, you Obama supporters should seriously think about either not voting for Obama.

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
From your source

While the Obama seal does include the American bald eagle clutching arrows and an olive branch, the resemblance ends there.

you Obama supporters should seriously think about either not voting for Obama.

Because of THIS??? You've got to be kidding!!!
Because of his pretty blue seal, I should consider not voting for him? That's rich!

[edit on 22-6-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Read my post above yours BH.

The shield that represents the President's Oath to protect and defend the Constitution was removed!!

Now I ask you, is this not a blatent arrogant, anti-American gesture and an utter disrepect to her people??

Not only changing the Seal, but in the egotistical, spoiled dictatorial way that he did, you are going to shue that away??

American people are smarter and more patriotic to this great nation than he is assuming.

You should be ashamed that you even defend him for such crude, arrogant, infantile acts.

[edit on 22-6-2008 by jetxnet]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Okay. It's mildly silly creating your own emblem even as a president in waiting because let's face it; McCain isn't going to get in. If only he had his own emblem, perhaps people would look past his inability to be able to run as president. Sure Obama seems like an idiot, but he's better then the other one...ish.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by jetxnet

I can think of more than a few things associated with the letter O. You also mentioned the rising sun, that seems symbolic in in a way. The seal also appears as sort of a looking glass. The symbolism he chose was interesting to say the least.

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Obama campaign retires altered presidential seal

When the altered seal was unveiled last Friday in Chicago, it raised eyebrows and prompted comments about how presidential it looked. The Republican National Committee gleefully ridiculed it as a prop.

Jen Psaki, a spokeswoman for Obama's campaign, said Monday that the altered seal would not be used again. She said it was only intended for that event, in which Obama held a round-table discussion with Democratic governors.

www.examiner.com...

Honestly, it seems that many of you are getting worked up for nothing.

"OMG, Obama is the Anti-Christ because someone decided that his podium needed a prop that looked good"

Seriously, why is it that none of the Republican National Committee members started whining about the legality of this seal? Because they knew it was a prop. They know that this is not real, but theater. If this 'election' were real, why do 'we the people' only get to choose from a media approved list of candidates?

Also, pressing Obama about 'breaking the law' in regard to the Presidential Seal might also draw attention to the laws that McCain is breaking himself. Especially the laws he is breaking that he himself crafted. Anyone heard of McCain-Feingold?

DocMoreau

posted on Jun, 30 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Yea, i saw this...

There was something strange about Obama....

I could never quite place it.

But then i think Karl Rove said it, Obama is Arrogent.

And it all made sense.

Every action he takes, it seems so obvious now...

Obama is VERY arrognet.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TKainZero

This just in from ABC News. At a Capitol Hill Club breakfast today, former Bush senior aide Karl Rove called Sen. Barack Obama "cooly arrogant."

"Even if you never met him, you know this guy," Rove said, Christianne Klein reports.

"He's the guy at the country club with the beautiful date, holding a martini and a cigarette that stands against the wall and makes snide comments about everyone who passes by."

weblogs.chicagotribune.com...

I imagine that is what you are referring to.

I find it ironic that Karl Rove is calling anyone 'cooly arrogant'. This coming from a person who is trying to claim the same executive privileges as the President, but is and always will be paid political consultant. The cold arrogance of 'Bush's Brain' in his rebuff of Congressional Subpoenas surely qualifies him to critique Barack Obama's personality traits, right? Takes a cold and arrogant person to recognize those traits, right?

I honestly am not sure that Karl Rove's opinion really applies to this thread. But that is my opinion. I don't really take much stock in the words of treasonous abusers of process. Personally, I feel that Karl Rove should be sitting in Leavenworth awaiting his death sentence for treason. Maybe he wouldn't have to be put to death if he made a deal to testify under oath about the various illegal acts and torts he has been privy to in the last 8 years at the very least...

But hey, thats just me.
DocMoreau

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I could care less about the seal. And I don't think it is close enough to be considered a resemblence.

Copyright infringement laws are pretty strict that something has to be pretty exact to be considered a ripoff. I think that this is different enough that it can't fly or be illegal.

that being said, if indeed the logo means: "Yes, We Can"

All I can think of is bob the builder.

Can we build it? Yes we can!:

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus24
oh wow.
Obama's a bad bad horrible terrorist person who will totally run this country into the ground. He'll take away our freedoms and become a dictator because he'll brush aside the constitution-WAIT-that sounds an awful lot like, President Bush?!

ok, back to the seal, has anyone heard of The Ramones? has anyone bothered to look at their band logo? It's the presidential seal! They slapped it on to millions of tshirts and sold it, made a profit and no one gives a flying cake about that, but let's rag on Obama because he's such a bad guy and vote for McCain well, because we can't think for ourselves and we like him better.

I couldn't agree more Daedalus. I would rather vote for a man who is confident often mistaken for arrogant) and willing to take chances even if they appear naive. Why nit-pick about a little Seal ( which he has admitted was a mistake)?? This only proves to me that the headhunters have nothing else to go for... Oh yeah...I forgot, Ol George W. is willing to take chances TOO! But he isn't taking any chances on his reputation or putting his family on the line. He only takes chances with the lives of our young men and women who are engaged in the battle of their lives. We are so deluded by the lies of this present administration that we can't see the forest! Give me a fresh new leader who has not gotten his cogs rusted by the political rhetoric and is willing to step out for "change". What is wrong with change folks? It MAY be for the better and you might have to admit you were wrong.
Just my humble opinion.

posted on Oct, 2 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
HOT DIGGITY! I knew I liked the guy! Now I like him more!

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I found a nifty little Latin to English Translator here www.translation-guide.com...

This is what I got: "in truth to be able"

posted on Nov, 6 2008 @ 10:37 PM
link   
in truth to able sounds good to me,definitely not ominous. I like Obama I don't for a minute think he can clean up Dubyas mess right away but he wants to because he gets it . So I understand .

top topics

<< 1   >>

join