It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

my uncle was tasered by police.. need help

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
i'll try and give a little background story.. BTW this was caught on video of which i have a copy but i need help posting it.

my uncle lives in idaho and one night a couple was filming some local police who pulled over a car for speeding. first off the cops were coming off with an attitude about the filming, saying the camera could be a weapon and such.
Several boring minutes roll by while they film a regular traffic stop, then the camera man decides to turn off the camera and go inside. Well thats when my uncle rode by on his bicycle like he does every night. One of the police officers said "hey come over here!" so my uncle stops his bike and the police ask him for ID, at which point he tells them to take a hike, because he doesnt have to show him ID for nothing. He continues asking for the ID and my uncle keeps refusing because he has done absulutely nothing wrong. and he ends up getting tasered several times, this is where the camera starts filming again and the cops were telling him he is under arrest for not producing his id (the words are on tape) then taser him again. During this time he was asking for counsel and to talk to the sheriff but they kept refusing.
after they arrest him the police approach the camera man and try to confiscate the taped incident to cover their tracks. my uncle is 54 and on disability with back problems and the taser and arrest has left him with permanent nerve damage in his arms and back.
i have been asked by my family to get this on youtube but i only have the CD and i dont know how. i need some of you computer gurus to help walk me through it or, i need a trustworthy member to mail it to who can post if for me.

listening to and watching a family member be tasered by the police is very sobering..

how do i get this out there for others to see?
please help

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
You first need to sign up for an account, to be able to upload on youtube.

There is a primer , on how to get your vids up there. Located here:
www.internetvideomag.com...

the instructions on this page assume some familiarity with Video formats and such. And also include additional instructions on how to get your video to look halfway decent. (it depends on the original format, when uploaded.)

Give that a read. And if there is anything you are having trouble with, ask back here in your thread. I or another member will do our best to help you out.

[edit on 21-6-2008 by spacedoubt]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I cant wait to see your footage.

If your camera has a usb plug in you will be best off to do it that way.

You might have to buy a usb cord for it. (5 bucks)

Then you will need the software that came with the camer/camcorder..on a cd.

Unless this is a dvd camcorder..If it is Send it to me Ill make copys and upload it for you and such...If you would like.

u2u me for help!

Thanks.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:30 PM
link   
It'd be better to talk to a lawyer about it, using the video & any eye-witness accounts (well, the camera operator makes at least one witness). And then the lawyer can start making demands to the police department...

If all goes well, your uncle can sue the police department on a permanent basis for aggravating his disabilities...which basically adds up to the police department/city/maybe State maintaining an ongoing payment for the rest of your uncle's life. Add this to the publicity...

Sure, getting the video on the internet may help, but all that will do is generate publicity...To fix the original corruption in the police department is going to take more effort.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
You probably are going to make some lawyer very very happy.
Make sure "your uncle" chooses an attorney, don't just take the first ambulance chaser that gets wind of this.

Do a little research and pick the best attorney you can find. He/she will be more than happy to take this case.

I wouldn't post anything to web yet. It might be leverage against the department, they may want to settle rather than have it posted on youtube. Once you post that video they might say "oh well, I guess we have to fight this out" That is why getting the attorney is the first and most important thing you do at this point.

You might find an attorney to post here but won't risk giving you "legal" advise. I am a third year law student for what its worth.

Get an Attorney first! Don't post the video before you do that.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Please take the above advise from MidnightDStroyer and Res Ipsa.

If everything you say is accurate, you need to get a lawyer at once. The internet is not going to cover your uncle's damages or lost wages.

Arrangements need to be made to get affidavits from eye-witnesses as well as the video.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
the problem im having is the video is in VOB format and i cant seem to switch it to AVI or MPEG. or any other format for that matter. i've been trying for 2 days..

my uncle does have a lawyer and the couple filming and several neighbors are already agreeing to be witnesses.
i took a look at the charges his lawyer filed against the police department, all i can say is they are in trouble. each of the 5 officers on scene have different reports while all the witnesses statements are the same. they have also been accused of tampering with the jury selection, attempted tampering with evidence (the camera) and have been following him around since the incident. Some of the local people say he has the police very nervous.
His lawyer is doing things i didnt even think of, he has requested all the training courses the officers have received, how they scored on certain tests and any sort of trouble they have been in while on duty.

if i cant get this to work i will send it out to one of you guys, but i really need to learn to do this anyways.
thanks for the help.

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
YES!!

its on youtube, however i cannot take credit, a local radio station picked up the story and got it posted.. special thanks to youtube user jonahsgospel

heres some links.. most of the "action" is to dark to see but you can have a listen.. there is also dashcam vids but no sound.
WARNING for bad language. dont watch these at work.

this is the first part.. its kinda boring but there are a couple things in here worth seeing to get the second part.

youtube.com...

this is the second half of the video, right where the camera man sees whats going on and turns his camera back on. at this point he had been tasered twice. be sure to watch this one to the end where the police try and strongarm the evidence from the camera man, and threaten to arrest him.
youtube.com...

heres the police dashcam video, for some reason there is no sound but you can see them approach my uncle as he rides by and take him down for refusing to give the police his ID. after about 2 1/2 minutes theres nothing else to see.
youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Seems some good ideas...

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
i found out he not only has a lawsuit against the police department but seperate lawsuits against each police officer individually..

you hear about these stories but its wierd when it happens in your own family.

sty

posted on Jun, 27 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
warning ! Make sure you have spare copies of your dvd/cd , you never know what could happen in the future. I guess if you still cannot make it , you can try a video studio (those making wedding videos) , they can convert the video for you into MPG / AVI etc..

late note: o , i see - it is already safe
ignore my post then

[edit on 27-6-2008 by sty]

top topics

join