It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Everybody just tells their version of the news

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
My teacher says truth is just another point of view and evil is just another point of view.

My dad says black is black and white is white and a person has to know the difference.

My mom says it depends on the situation.

My brother says it depends on who is giving the orders.

My sister says it depends on what time of the month it is.

How do you know who to believe when it comes to telling you what's really real?

sarc
fixed typo

[edit on 20-6-2008 by sarcastic]

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 12:54 AM
link   
its simple

you look into it yourself

heres a few tips along the way

never trust MSM (main stream media)
this means networks like ABC, Fox News, etc. They all have a spin...regardless of what they tell you

Other than that - its fair game. Personally - i wouldnt trust my parents, because parents are very set in their way. My grandmother and mother have never agreed with a single political stance i've taken. not once....on anything.

facts speak for themselves in politics

fi someone says "candidate A is for ________________"
then you have to find out for yourself. find one article where candidate A said something that makes it so they stand for _____________. If no such speech exists - then you can assume the person who you heard talking about candidate A is full of crap

IE:

People who say Obama is the antichrist
or
people who say Obama is Christ

both full of crap.

people who say obama isnt for change?
Full of crap

people who say McCain isnt for big business and another 4 yeras of bush?
Also full of crap

you can review a candidates voting records and prove to yourself that what i say is true.

Visit links in my signature if you want further evidence to back my claims

In the end - you should question everything anyone says, you shoudl question everythign you read.

You should never buy into something 100% unless you have verified it to be true yourself.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I'm not certain you can ever truly remove the perceiver from the perceived. The same things can mean drastically different things to different people. So I guess you have to make your own mind up. Of course this is just how I perceive things to be.

When it comes to the news and a story I find interesting I usually look at the same story from a few different sources, try and pry the facts from the opinion and draw my own conclusions.

I always use doubt as a tool when it comes to refining my view of things, I try and remain aware that could be wrong, rigid human rules in an ever changing world haven't proved healthy for me in the past.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 06:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

And....

That is a perfect example of exactly what the OP was talking about...

You started out fine and then proceeded to place "your" spin on things, "your" versions of the truth.

The first part of your post is exactly correct.

reply to post by sarcastic

Research and make up your own mind.

Don't simply 'trust" someones sig, opinion or comment as they will probably be slanted toward their opinion and that opinion may not reflect precisely how your feel.

Go to some sites like this...

Project Vote Smart

US Senate.org

There you will find who is the extreme Liberal, who is the far right wing Conservative and those that are in the middle.

Find one that votes as close to the way "you" feel things should be and then make an informed decision.

All of the usual bologna about "who is for who" and this one supports "big whatever" is exactly that.. BIG WHATEVER....

This time of the year, and during a major election cycle, everyone has an opinion and like belly buttons, everyone has them and most are full of dirt.

Make up your own mind using the resources you have at your disposal. Most news media swing one way or the other, but if your mind is open, you can still obtain information from them that is useful.

Semper

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
i was giving examples OF a twist, semper

hence the "IE:"

i followed up my examples with "always question what you read"

i fail to see why you drew to this conclusion

what do ya think, OP?

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sarcastic

The best thing to do is take everything you read and hear with a healthy dose of skepticism. Most people have an agenda to steer you towards one point of view or another, so always make sure that you're getting both sides of the story, not just the one that someone wants you to hear. That's especially true on the internet, BTW, particularly in an election cycle. The best thing to do is get your news from many sources, including the mainstream, so you can filter out the enormous amount of half-truths and BS, allowing you to best piece together what really happened.

In other words, don't believe everything you read or hear without considering both sides.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
My grandmother says our Leaders only believe what they prefer so our nation is going down cause good leadership requires truth be told to solve problems.

I wonder if that means there's no future when nobody tells the truth to fix what's wrong.

It's hard to tell what's wrong so nothing gets fixed?

sarc

top topics

join