It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TRW Systems Plasma Acoustic Shield System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:00 PM
link   
A revolutionary new weapon system from TRW Systems has just arrived. A joint U.S. Army’s Advanced Energy Armaments Systems Division, Stellar Photonics, and TRW System's hard work has paid off. Gauss and Railgun weaponry systems appear to be from the stone age when compared with this bad boy. This 25KW (Kilowatt) laser will certainly change the battlefield indefinitely. A new breed of sniper will undoubtedly emerge with its mind boggling 5 mile range!

External Source #1

External Source #2

My question for posters is this:

Will this technology become standard practice; is "slug throwing" technology a soon to be archaic thing of the past?

Will other emerging "slug throwing" weapons technologies be utilized widespread, or will we see a changing of guard in battlefield technology, and tactics because of this line of development?

What are your opinions and or comments on particle weapon technology in general?

More particle weapon information welcome!

You be the judge, debate, decide; what does the future hold for the modern battlefield? And by all means, enjoy!

- Maban

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Maban]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I just want to say, it may be a sexy idea but that is one FUGLY weapon. If I'd seen someone pointing that at me on the street today I would be on my belly in a heart beat (laughing my ass off).

I'm off to read the links. Nice find.

Edit: Your first link has an update at the bottom:

UPDATE: As a few readers have pointed out, the article this post is based on is dated Sept. 4, 1972. Though we'd like to believe TRW (which, according to this article, was acquired by Northrop Grumman Corp. sometime after that) will come out a laser rifle any day now, it doesn't seem likely.

[edit on 20-6-2008 by SystemiK]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SystemiK

Originally I saw that Boeing was working on this, then the name kept changing. Either way the idea is certainly far from "off the table." This has been the military's "wet dream" for many decades.

Also bear in mind because it is mostly electrical and gaseous components, it could be made to look like any sort of external configuration. i think they were just going for the "spacey" look. With a few refinements, it would be pretty mean looking.

- Maban

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Maban]

posted on Jun, 22 2008 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wicked, with a silent kill that'd be the ultimate deer hunting gun, lmao

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Maban

This is a PhaSR, built as a laser dazzling device for the Air Force by ScorpWorks. Made to temporarily blinds its targets for defensive roll.

www.gizmag.com...

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
From what several articles mention this isn't "just" a dazzler. Its an actual laser (burn / shock) weapon system. It can hit targets up to 5 miles away and burn a hole through them. This weapon is designed dual purpose. I think the gizmag writers are confusing this product with something made in my area: B. E. Meyers

None the less it would make sense to have a weapon system like this capable of scaling to a higher frequency and shifting its output from dazzling to shocking or burning a Target down range.

It also may be possible that we are actually seeing two parallel weapons projects. The gray/black rifle is a dazzler; and the black rifle is the Army based less-than-lethal / lethal laser platform. This wouldn't be the first time R&D groups used similar enclosures to misdirect the public into thinking that there is more than one system and/or configuration; possibly more than one project.

Good find though.

- Maban

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 11:14 AM
link   
There are a whole range of laser weapons which genereate plasma at the point of impact.

The biggie is the Pulsed Energy Projectile which can knock you down; PASS is in the middle; at the low end if the Laser Crazer which is only capable of damaging glass -

www.wired.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The weapon pictured is just a dazzler. Now there maybe another that does more.

posted on Jul, 3 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
At 25kw you're way past the dazzle point, you're well into the vaporize flesh range. A few hundred milliwatts will suffice to dazzle. A typical baseboard heater is a kilowatt or so. You're talking about delivering 25x that power onto a point, that will vaporize flesh instantly.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 06:48 AM
link   
PASS / PADDS is not a 25 kw laser - it fires very short, high-power but low-energy pulses.

It takes several seconds for it to get through a paper target.

In any case, such lasers will do most of their damage via shockwave rather than thermal effects. PEP is optimised to produce an EMP that interferes with the human nervous system for 'maximum pain'.

www.newscientist.com...

The hardware shown here is the ScorpWorks PHASR, which has been through a few versions itself and probably won't look like that.

new topics

top topics

join