It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is up With the "The Kucinich Privilege Resolution" Vote?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
So I was just browsing Congressional votes and noticed that the Kucinich legislation named "The Kucinich Privilege Resolution", which is he legislation intended to Impeach Bush passed 251-166, which I automatically assumed was a good thing.

Then I came across this article:

"Kucinich Articles of Impeachment Against Bush Sent To Committee To 'Die'"

link

Kucinich introduced 35 articles of impeachment against President Bush, spending five hours reading them into the record, then tried to use a "parliamentary maneuver" to force a vote.

A recent report shows that the House voted 251-166 to send that measure to the House Judiciary Committee, which is a procedure used to kill legislation and is often describe as being sent to committee to die.

So once again irritated with the spineless, complicit nature of so many in the Democratic party I went to look at who voted for this and saw Kucinich was one of the Democrats that voted for this move. Link

So now I am confused. They say this 'yes' vote was done to 'kill the legislation' yet Kucinich was one of the many who voted this way, does he want the bill to die too? Also If you look at who voted which way ALL Democrats voted 'yes' and all but 26 Republicans voted 'no', the others voting yes. Link

So for those of you who are more familiar with the process what the hell is going on here, is Kucinich in on killing his own legislation calling for impeachment, or is the article I referenced just off?

[edit on 20-6-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Kucinich does want to impeach Bush and Cheney, but the democrats in general are cowards. They do not want to cause problems as this would make them accountable for their actions. I'd like to see Pelosi and the lot impeached with Bush...

The bill has to go to committee before it can go to the senate. The house passed X version of the bill, then it goes to committee, then senate passes Y version of the bill, then on to committee in the senate.

If the two bills aren't exactly the same the vote has to be redone.

Kucinich is not causing problems here, it is the rest of the democratic party!

[edit on 6/20/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

Biggie, I am 100% behind Kucinich and I really hope that the Judiciary Committee passes this thing and sends it on to the Senate. However, as we just saw today with the FISA bill the Democrats by and large are complicit in the shredding of the constitution and the protections put in place to protect the liberty of citizens of the USA.

I really would encourage EVERYONE to contact your representative in Congress regularly and encourage them to to back this up and get it moving. I know it seems rather hopeless but if there is an uprising of the people demanding (nicely of course) that our / your representative act on behalf of US and the constitution things CAN change.

Find Your Representitives Here

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Kucinich didn't have the votes for getting an immediate vote on his resolution. So, it seems he opted to send it to the judiciary committee rather than let it die. The judiciary committee needs to hold hearings, and subpoena witnesses. Then, they can send it back to the house for a full vote.

The fact is nothing is happening unless John Conyers, chairmen of the Judiciary committee decides to move it forward. However, that has not happened yet. Somehow, he needs to be convinced to go forward.

posted on Jun, 21 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by crontab

Hey man thank you for clarifying 'whats up' with this. I will make it a point to politely hassle Conyers, and the other members of the Judiciary, and encourage my friends to do the same.

For any others who like to try to be proactive in the government, through the following link you can find contact information for all the members.

US House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary

top topics

join