It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Middle Name Hussein for Sen. Obama

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I keep trying to research Barack Hussein Obama's middle name and it keeps coming up as Islamic or Arabic origin. It's definitions range from the word "small" to "handsome" and something to do with the royal family of Jordan.
It is this confusion that brings me to the ATS forum for any information that a Christian would feel comfortable with a middle name of "Hussein"?
There have been times this campaign season that I think this is all some kind of joke and I'm just not getting it. Or maybe the joke's on me.
When I was Baptized, my first and middle names were used as my "Christian name", not my last name. So, as a Christian, am I right in assuming that Senator Obama's Christian name is "Barack Hussein".
Again, if someone can clarify this I would appreciate it. I am, however, more than a little tired of the injection of religion into our political system which our constitutional forefathers wanted to have a strong separation of church and state. Unfortunately, the neocons of the last 8 years have whittled away at that part and we are not healthier for it. If anything, it is polarizing us even more.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barbs46
I keep trying to research Barack Hussein Obama's middle name and it keeps coming up as Islamic or Arabic origin. It's definitions range from the word "small" to "handsome" and something to do with the royal family of Jordan.
It is this confusion that brings me to the ATS forum for any information that a Christian would feel comfortable with a middle name of "Hussein"?
There have been times this campaign season that I think this is all some kind of joke and I'm just not getting it. Or maybe the joke's on me.
When I was Baptized, my first and middle names were used as my "Christian name", not my last name. So, as a Christian, am I right in assuming that Senator Obama's Christian name is "Barack Hussein".
Again, if someone can clarify this I would appreciate it. I am, however, more than a little tired of the injection of religion into our political system which our constitutional forefathers wanted to have a strong separation of church and state. Unfortunately, the neocons of the last 8 years have whittled away at that part and we are not healthier for it. If anything, it is polarizing us even more.

are you serious

most names have old european or islamic and arabic origins

this is not something to judge the guy on

and has nothing to do politically at all only for the nit pickers

look at mahomed ali when he changed his name and he was one of the greats, and from US

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Barbs46

You must be joking. Who the hell cares? Would you be more comfortable if his middle name was Bill, or Ed? Obviously...this country is still full of predjudiced and racist people. And he is not a christian, he is not a muslim he is a free thinking secular, rational person like most educated people.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Barbs46

Well, according to one of those baby names website, the origin of the name 'Hussein' ('handsome') is Arabic, which is also the language of Islam. What's in a name? I see only respect for his Muslim forefathers when someone has an Islamic middle name. His faith as a Christian now should be embraced by those same 'G-d fearing' people whom he has not done any wrong.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 420prajna

I'm with ya.
I don't like Obama because of his politics.
I am convinced the people that use the religion/ race/ name/ age/ upbringing/ WHATEVER!, are the people that aren't informed enough to understand the candidates stand on real issues.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barbs46I keep trying to research Barack Hussein Obama's middle name and it keeps coming up as Islamic or Arabic origin. It's definitions range from the word "small" to "handsome" and something to do with the royal family of Jordan.

Husayn, Hussein, Hossain, Hussain, Husain, Hosein (Arabic:حسین Turkish: Hüseyin), is an Arabic name which is the diminutive of Hasan, meaning "good" or "handsome". It is commonly given as a male given name among Muslims, after Husayn ibn Ali, although the name is so common it is also given to persons of secular backgrounds. In some Persian sources the form Háosayn is used.

Link

It's a fairly common name throughout the arab world and parts of Africa and Asia.

Originally posted by Barbs46It is this confusion that brings me to the ATS forum for any information that a Christian would feel comfortable with a middle name of "Hussein"?

Unfortunately, whether he's comfortable with it or not, it's the middle name his parents gave him. You might take note that he doesn't tend to use it. Mostly it is used by his detractors, generally to imply that he's a "secret Muslim", or "Crypto-Islamic" for those who like the big words.

Of course, that's just as ridiculous as implying that John Sidney McCain III is a "secret woman" (Crypto-Female?) because his middle name is Sidney.

Originally posted by Barbs46There have been times this campaign season that I think this is all some kind of joke and I'm just not getting it. Or maybe the joke's on me.

Sometimes, the joke is on all of us. They're playing out a "smear and distract" campaign strategy this time around, to keep anyone from paying attention to the real issues.

Originally posted by Barbs46When I was Baptized, my first and middle names were used as my "Christian name", not my last name. So, as a Christian, am I right in assuming that Senator Obama's Christian name is "Barack Hussein".

I think it really depends on the church. Traditionally, a "Christian Name" merely meant your first name, or in the case of foreign converts, the name you were given by the priest when you were baptised.

Originally posted by Barbs46Again, if someone can clarify this I would appreciate it. I am, however, more than a little tired of the injection of religion into our political system which our constitutional forefathers wanted to have a strong separation of church and state. Unfortunately, the neocons of the last 8 years have whittled away at that part and we are not healthier for it. If anything, it is polarizing us even more.

I have to agree with you there. The neocons and the religious reich... er... right keep complaining about the secularization of America and that our country was founded on Christian values, and keep trying to push more of their religious leanings on us every day. The separation of Church and State were put in place to prevent just this sort of thing, to protect freedom of religion, and to make sure that no religion gained power over our government. The religion of our politicians shouldn't be an issue because they should not be injecting religious values and issues into the politics in the first place.

[edit on 6/20/2008 by PsychoHazard]

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
So as a Christian, I must have really pooched it for my daughter "Basia Tallia" I'm a white scandanavian Lutheran. So is my daughter going to be asked dumb ass questions about her name too?
(sorry to be so....no, I'm not....this type of ignorant stuff just kills me at times, because there are people out there that won't vote for Obama just because of his NAME!)

...I'm not kidding either, that is my daughters first and middle name.

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
That's stupid, man my name when translated to arabic means he who is blessed and it's as common a name as you will ever find, and not in Iraq or any other midd eastern country. whilst were on the subject, his last name is an anagram of bomaa. OOOO, I think were all in trouble now
I think change is as good as a rest and from what i hear thats what this man is all about

posted on Jun, 20 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
So as a Christian, I must have really pooched it for my daughter "Basia Tallia"

you forgot to add the "Tequila"
"Basia Tallia Tequila"
nice ring to it don't you think?

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Arabic is a language that existed before Islam did. It's not the language of Islam. It is a language spoken in a large area of the Middle East and Africa. Christians and Jews also speak Arabic.
Look at this website for words used by Christians and Jews and Arabs in their religious life. They include the word "Allah" meaning God. Yes, Christians and Jews pray to Allah, if they speak Arabic.
en.wikipedia.org...

Hussein is an Arabic name, but it is not an Islamic name. It is older than Islam.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
before i say what i would like to say, i am not using his name as the reasons why anyone would be better off not voting for him. that is ridiculous to me when there exists many REAL reasons why i think those who are pro american should not vote for him.

that being said, how ironic it would be to have a president of this country w/ the first name obama (so close to osama) and hussein (the very man we felt the need to overthrow). just a thought, for what it's worth (which is probably not much lol)

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

....yeah (?) that'd be .... really ironic :shk:

I guess we could say the same for any of the following

Robert Mugabe is strikingly similar to Robert Kennedy .....

Charles Manson shares the SAME FIRST NAME with Charles Fairbanks who was the 26th vice president under Teddy Roosevelt

Benedict Arnold has the same last name as the governator of Californias' first name Arnold Schwarzenegger .. so i guess California is screwed, right?

I realize you're just posting to troll and get a rouse out of people, but in the event someone is actually dull and gullible enough to believe what you posted, i thought id' show everyone how utterly ignorant this line of thinking really is.

Honest to God: What the *snip* has happened to this country?

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

[edit on 7/5/2008 by Andrew E. Wiggin]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Andrew E. Wiggin

yes, there are other things that are ironic as well.

i think you are so in love you are not realizing that i am not using his name as a reason to not vote for him. to do so is ridiculous in my opinion. just wanted to say it for *snips* and grins (although i am sure i am not the first and the way some ppl get, i am sure it has been pointed out as reasons to not vote for him such as him not wearing a flag pin blah blah
).

nah, i have many other reasons to not vote for him. just pure *snips* and grins considering the topic of this thread.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by justamomma]

[edit on 5-7-2008 by justamomma]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barbs46
Again, if someone can clarify this I would appreciate it.

I can clarify it!

Check this thread for sources:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Barack's ancestors in Kenya were Christian. His Grandfather was a traveler who moved for a time to Zanzibar (a Muslim populated African Island) and converted from Christianity to Islam and adopted the name "Hussein". Once he settled down in Kenya and married, he named his son "Hussein". And he gave Barack his middle name.

You can examine Barack's family tree Here

So, yes, the name is of Arab descent, but his entire family was born in Kenya and he is NOT Arab at all.

Not that it would matter if he was. I have known many Arab people and they have been wonderful!

When I was baptized, they did not mess with my nome. Not sure what you're talking about there.

[edit on 5-7-2008 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I saw a youtube where they claim his real name is Barack Hussein Soetoro. They also address his citizenship status in the video. How much is true, and how much is speculation, I don't know.

Obama Natural Born II Update

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Soetoro is his step father's last name. That has nothing to do with Barack's name or heritage. And that video is a bunch of BS. Obama was born in Hawaii. Anyone born in the US is a US citizen. Natural-born.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I am NOT voting for Barack Hussein Obama because of his middle name..........

that and.....

He is a Democrat.
He is a liberal.
He wants to raise my taxes.
His associations with Rev. Wright, Tony Rezco, William Ayers, Louis Farakhan etc.
His appeasement stance.
He wants to lose in Iraq.
His inexperience.
His lack of foriegn policy.
His constant playing of the race card.

But mainly because of his middle name HUSSEIN!

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Soetoro is his step father's last name. That has nothing to do with Barack's name or heritage. And that video is a bunch of BS. Obama was born in Hawaii. Anyone born in the US is a US citizen. Natural-born.

If you watched the entire video, you must admit it raises some interesting issues regarding his citizenship. His father registered him as a Kenyan national, and his adopted step-father registered him as an Indonesian national. Neither country recognizes dual citizenship.

If his mother gave up her american citizenship when she married Soetoro, then that negates her American citizenship as well. Bottom line..By law, he would not be a natural born citizen of this country.

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by LLoyd45
If you watched the entire video, you must admit it raises some interesting issues regarding his citizenship. His father registered him as a Kenyan national, and his adopted step-father registered him as an Indonesian national. Neither country recognizes dual citizenship.

None of that matters as he was BORN here. That is the first and simplest law of citizenship. If you are BORN in the US, you are a natural-born citizen (with the exception of a child born to foreign Ambassadors). Period. It doesn't matter what papers people register or anything.

If his mother gave up her american citizenship when she married Soetoro, then that negates her American citizenship as well.

If his mother "gave up" her citizenship, it doesn't matter. He was BORN here. He was already 4 years old (fully born) when his mom married Soetoro. You can't take away the fact that he was born here.

By law, he would not be a natural born citizen of this country.

This is not true. That's why I said the video is BS. Whoever made is doesn't know what they're talking about. They're WRONG about the law. Don't listen to it unless you see it in a real legal document. I could put ANYTHING on YouTube. He was born inside the US. That makes him a natural-born citizen.

Natural Born Citizen

posted on Jul, 5 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
None of that matters as he was BORN here. That is the first and simplest law of citizenship. If you are BORN in the US, you are a natural-born citizen (with the exception of a child born to foreign Ambassadors). Period. It doesn't matter what papers people register or anything.
If he can actually show verifiable proof, that may be true BH. I'm still not personally convinced about the validity of his birth certificate. He could easily end the debate by providing the actual document, but he won't. That leaves the door open for doubt in my opinion.

Is Obama a US Citizen?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join